A few thoughts from Iowa City...

GopherLady

Reaction score
I think this is my 4th time here, between basketball and football (maybe it's my 5th?)...and this was the first win I've ever seen. It was incredible. I think my legs didn't stop shaking for a good 30 minutes after the game, due to nerves. A few thoughts:

- I could not believe how empty the arena was. I have never seen this small of a crowd. With that being said, I'd say that the small crowd was louder than I've seen The Barn all season during those last few minutes
- We are so lucky to have such a strong student section. I would guess that they had about 200 students there (my friend that was with me guessed less). I know it's over break, but our games over break have still been almost full...and full is about 2200.
- Because it was so empty, we snuck down from our 38th row seats, to the 3rd row behind the Gopher bench, and actually were welcomed with open arms by a number of Hawkeye fans that I coudln't say enough good things about.
- I think someone else followed our lead, because during the second half, 4 Gopher fans sat down in our row, and one of them introduced himself to me as BGA! It's always crazy to meet GopherHolers, and I would put him in the group of very nice, normal fans...he did not creep me out at all, haha!
- Being behind the bench, you always notice a lot, two of the things were Paul Carter and Devron Bostick. I've said this before, but when they are out of the game, they are the 1st ones to stand and cheer. I notice that our bench does not pout anymore - it seems like they are so unified, all they care about is the win, no matter who gets the minutes.
- We notices a super fan amongst the Gopher fans. We kept on looking that this one guy in a white t-shirt, that was always on his feet, giving high fives, and cheering on our team like crazy. After the game, we spoke with him, and confirmed he was Al Nolen's Dad. How fitting that such a great player has such a supportive Dad!
- Iowa City is still my favorite college town in the Big Ten. We ended up at the Field House to watch the NC game, and we were the recipients of many $2 pitchers! When the game ended, we had to leave, as we were way to old to be at a bar like that!
- As always, we had to hit up Marcos for the best girlled cheesed known to man.
- This is also a first for Iowa City, we were back in our hotel room by 12:30 am...but being responsible adults, we have to work tomorrow...not like football weekends.

As for the game, I noticed about 100 threads on it, and I'm sure all has been covered. If you haven't made the trip down here, it's a must. It's really an inexpensive trip, a great college town, and a tank of gas. I have yet to not have a blast in Iowa City!

Yeah, I've been to Carver-Hawkeye Arena for a number of games and the crowd tonight was for sure the smallest I've ever seen.

Me and a buddy were sitting in the 39th row and ended up moving down to about the 15 row opposite the Iowa bench. Really enjoyed the second half and it was a good atmosphere despite the small crowd. Perfect driving weather too.

I get the sense that people in Iowa are just not too excited about the basketball program right now.

Thanks for the nice comments about Iowa City. I, too, believe that it is one of the best college towns in the Big Ten. I rank Madison up there as well (note: I haven't been to all of them, so take it for what it is worth.)

As a MN transplant to Iowa, I echo the good comments about Iowa City and the U of I environs as well. Beats the h_ll out of East Lansing! There are a couple of really nice BT college towns. I like Iowa City. Madison is OK - but an odd overlay of the smell of vomit and pretention in my view, but a great music scene. Sort of like London now that I think of it. Ann Arbor is great all around

It was a fun trip and good to meet GL. First time I've ever met a GHer - as far as I know.

Nothing like a Gopher road victory-however ugly it may have been- to make a 4 hour, late night ride home, go by quickly. We started out in nosebleed territory and ended up in the 3rd row behind the Gopher bench thanks to the poor attendance by Hawkeye fans.

Iowa City is fun, but my favorite road trip, hands down, is State College, PA. It has such a wonderful college feel for a small town. It's tough to get to, but worth it, just not for basketball. It amazes me that PSU can put 100k+ in the seats for football and can't even muster 5k for basketball.

As for the Iowa crowds, if it's half empty against a top 25 Minnesota rival, I hate so see what it's going to be like when they play Northwestern.

Great report, GopherLady. Thank you very much.

I would guess that they had about 200 students there (my friend that was with me guessed less). I know it's over break, but our games over break have still been almost full...and full is about 2200.

Minnesota is a commuter school, Iowa is not. When students "go home" for break at the U of M a lot of them are going to Edina or Roseville. At Iowa they are going quite a bit further away. JMO

Minnesota is a commuter school, Iowa is not. When students "go home" for break at the U of M a lot of them are going to Edina or Roseville. At Iowa they are going quite a bit further away. JMO

A commuter school implies that students live and work off campus and drive in and go to class. I think this was the case 15-20 years ago, but now most of the undergrad students live on or near campus.

Now, your point which is correct is that when a lot of Minnesota students go home for break, they're still the metro area. Whereas Iowa students are 1+ hours from campus.

Therefore, Minnesota students are far more likely to make a quick trip to campus to catch a game.

The hangover days from Steve Alford carry on. Iowa is the new Northwestern when it comes to hoops fan support

You couldn't be more correct, Ruppert. I would go one step further and say that even the Hawkeye team plays like Northwestern these days. :)

It will take a big improvement in the team before the fans come back at CHA.

Top Bottom