Tone of talent left

BigGopherFan

Banned
Reaction score
Look who's coming back. Think about it, this team will be as good or better next season:
Joseph
RSIII
Iverson
Williams
Hoffarber
Carter
Hollins
Cobbs (probably)
Mbakwe (probably)
Nolen (probably)
White (probably not, but maybe)

Lots of talent in that group that will certainly stay above water and make a push toward the tournament. Personally, I'm very excited about Williams. When he's ready, he would have been the perfect antidote defensively on the perimeter today against ugly Crawford (he's literally an unattractive person). Let's remember, things aren't as bad as they seem, and they're not as good as they see. Reality sits right in the middle.

Agreed that we have some solid players coming back-but as of right now it looks like we will have the same major problem that has plagued us each of the last two years-a lack of consistent scorers.

Westbrook is the closest thing we've seen the last two years. Of the current group, Sampson, D. Joseph, Hoffarber, and maybe Carter have all shown flashes, but none seem quite equipped to be that guy. Maybe Royce or C. Joseph will be here and be the guy next year? Even if they are here that would be a lot to ask out of a freshman.

I think next year could be another NCAA-tourney year, but without a consistent go-to scorer I don't think we be a whole lot better than this year.

color me confused.....

here i thought based on the thread title that this was a post about the former 90's R&B group tony, toni, tone

;)

"Maybe Royce or C. Joseph will be here and be the guy next year? Even if they are here that would be a lot to ask out of a freshman."

On is gone from the team and the other has and more then likley will never be on the team. the post was on talent coming back not what isn't here now.

I agree with your premise that a go to scorer is needed but talking about White & Joseph to me is worthless.

"Maybe Royce or C. Joseph will be here and be the guy next year? Even if they are here that would be a lot to ask out of a freshman."

On is gone from the team and the other has and more then likley will never be on the team. the post was on talent coming back not what isn't here now.

I agree with your premise that a go to scorer is needed but talking about White & Joseph to me is worthless.

you're on a message board in the middle of the afternoon so I doubt you have anything better to do. Plus everything said on this board is worthless as none of it actually has any effect on the program

I apologize for having the gall to speculate on who might help the team. I now have the end-all answer, according to scools, that neither White nor C. Joseph will play here, so don't even bother speculating and stay exactly on point throughout every post.

you're on a message board in the middle of the afternoon so I doubt you have anything better to do. Plus everything said on this board is worthless as none of it actually has any effect on the program

LOL... oh now I feel guilty. I should do something today.

Look who's coming back. Think about it, this team will be as good or better next season:
Joseph
RSIII
Iverson
Williams
Hoffarber
Carter
Hollins
Cobbs (probably)
Mbakwe (probably)
Nolen (probably)
White (probably not, but maybe)

Lots of talent in that group that will certainly stay above water and make a push toward the tournament. Personally, I'm very excited about Williams. When he's ready, he would have been the perfect antidote defensively on the perimeter today against ugly Crawford (he's literally an unattractive person). Let's remember, things aren't as bad as they seem, and they're not as good as they see. Reality sits right in the middle.

Joseph and Hoff on the perimeter is too slow of a pairing against the best teams. Joseph will be really good at the 2 guard if our personnel allows it. Hoff needs to play a lot but it would be better to spot him situationally.
We really need either Mbakwe or White AND Nolen back. The loss of Nolen really took the defensive heart out of this team. Losing Johnson will further that. Nolen is a guy that can pester a player such as Crawford into turnovers and deny the ball to a key guy on the perimeter. Nolen needs to improve his ability to finish and at least be a threat with the jumper. That can happen over a good summer. If we get all three back -look out. Add C Joseph and...............

The Gophers absolutely need Mbakwe next year. They have to have a legitimate PF and have the option to go small with Trevor at C when neither big man is getting the job done. The Gophers also need a player who can score the ball off his own dribble, a guy who if he gets an ISO will much more often than not score or get fouled. The two most obvious candidates to fill that void (White and C Joseph) have already been mentioned.

Stocks are down, no sense watching that.

Earlier this season, you were ripping on Tubby

... for his recruiting and predicting we'd have a "just average" team next year with the loss of White and Mbakwe and a lackluster class for 2010.

Glad to read you've changed your tone but have to wonder how long this perspective will last.

so you have nothing better to do then post on a message board in the middle of the day either?

I guess the both of us should find something better to do.

I honestly think Mbakwe could average 8-10 points and 7-9 rebounds next season. Whether it's Nolen or C.Joseph, Devoe will be off the ball most of the time next year. Don't forget Carter either. He'll be able to spell Trevor and add depth to the frontcourt. Someone said this already, but the rotation of Nolen, Hoffarber or Joseph, Mbakwe, Iverson and Sampson will be downright scary. If you think X had a hard time getting decent looks inside today, just wait.
Tubby needs to be careful though. There is a chance that the team will not have Mbakwe, Nolen, C.Joseph or White next season, leaving too many holes to compete for the NCAAs. Realistically, Minny should have the first two, but just in case I think Tubby will need to bail out and ink a Juco kid. We'll see...
Oh yes, Williams could easily become a front-line contributor next season. I think there is more pressure on him in the offseason than anyone else. He earned a "C+" this season. Anything less next year is unacceptable IMO.

Why would we not have C Joseph next year? and fyi i know high school players that played with Mbakwe in aau or high school ball or whatever and they've been telling me that he says he's their best player. I don't want to write for 15 minutes about him but I will say that he has a better jumper than all our current big men, has a better vertical (with the exception of maybe Damian but he won't be back next year anyway), is stronger, has a better touch around the basket, is a better defender, is a better free throw shooter, and more athletic. Don't be surprised if Mbakwe plays a lot like DeMarcus Sims right away, and is All Big-10

Why would we not have C Joseph next year? and fyi i know high school players that played with Mbakwe in aau or high school ball or whatever and they've been telling me that he says he's their best player. I don't want to write for 15 minutes about him but I will say that he has a better jumper than all our current big men, has a better vertical (with the exception of maybe Damian but he won't be back next year anyway), is stronger, has a better touch around the basket, is a better defender, is a better free throw shooter, and more athletic. Don't be surprised if Mbakwe plays a lot like DeMarcus Sims right away, and is All Big-10

I like your optimism, it's refreshing. But let's not assume the Gophers will sign Cory Joseph. That gets dangerous.
I have seen and evaluated Mbakwe play numerous times, and I agree, he's got some excellent tools. I completely agree about his vertical. Excellent lateral quickness.

Top Bottom