When under contract.....?

Sota1

Reaction score
Does another University need to ask permission to speak with a coach from the AD? Maturi said he had not been contacted. I know this is a business, but it would seem that would be some decorum on how these situations are handled. I would be very disappointed if Tubby or his agent was speaking with another team as they were preparing for the NCAA tournament. It couldn't wait until after the tournament? If he was interested, you just say "will talk in a week". Basically, would lose a lot of credibility with me. As disappointing as the early season was, he has been treated very well here, gets paid a chunk of money, and respresents one of the top Universities in the country.

what the hell are you talking about? Do you have a link or anything saying he's talking to other A.D.'s or are you just completely speculating and creating another rumor about Tubby going to X school.

agents talk to other AD's all the time............its part of the busiess.........

I'm speculating on the rumor, dumbass! I hope it's completely false. If it does come to fruition, I'm simply asking if they need permission to speak with a coach under contract, since Maturi has hear nothing.

Sorry this was the first thread I read at the top of the board. Shortly after I read the whole Auburn thing, my apologies.

I'm just a little amped up for the game. The timing of this rumor just ticks me off. Go Gophers!

Does another University need to ask permission to speak with a coach from the AD? Maturi said he had not been contacted. I know this is a business, but it would seem that would be some decorum on how these situations are handled. I would be very disappointed if Tubby or his agent was speaking with another team as they were preparing for the NCAA tournament. It couldn't wait until after the tournament? If he was interested, you just say "will talk in a week". Basically, would lose a lot of credibility with me. As disappointing as the early season was, he has been treated very well here, gets paid a chunk of money, and respresents one of the top Universities in the country.

Yes to the ? asked in first sentence.

Tubby will coach Minnesota until he retires.

Do they have to have permission? Not necessarily.

Let's just look back at the Tubby situation when he came here. Joel had numerous conversations with Ricky Lefft, Tubby's attorney, while Tubby was still coaching at Kentucky. The two, in fact, met face-to-face in Atlanta while Kentucky was playing in the SEC Tournament.

It seems pretty obvious that at some point, Lefft probably spoke with his client.

On the week of the hire, Joel talked with Lefft for several hours one night and he made it pretty clear that Tubby was in the room while this was happening.

Maturi didn't call the Kentucky AD and ask permission until the day Tubby got on the plane and flew to Minneapolis.

I don't know what is going on with the Auburn situation -- could be real, could be a ton of hot air -- but it certainly is possible the AD there has had conversations with the people around Smith.

Do they have to have permission? Not necessarily.

Let's just look back at the Tubby situation when he came here. Joel had numerous conversations with Ricky Lefft, Tubby's attorney, while Tubby was still coaching at Kentucky. The two, in fact, met face-to-face in Atlanta while Kentucky was playing in the SEC Tournament.

It seems pretty obvious that at some point, Lefft probably spoke with his client.

On the week of the hire, Joel talked with Lefft for several hours one night and he made it pretty clear that Tubby was in the room while this was happening.

Maturi didn't call the Kentucky AD and ask permission until the day Tubby got on the plane and flew to Minneapolis.

I don't know what is going on with the Auburn situation -- could be real, could be a ton of hot air -- but it certainly is possible the AD there has had conversations with the people around Smith.

Some factual inaccuracies above. I know FOR SURE that Joel Maturi never met or spoke to Tubby Smith prior to their first meeting at Lexington KY airport in late March 2007.

Ricky Lefft may be contacted by AD or "head hunters" looking to fill coaching jobs. That's what he does (and so do others like him). Lefft knew Tubby was unhappy at Kentucky in 2006 and 2007. He knows he's HAPPY at Minnesota now.

The Auburn story is 100% false about Tubby. Whether Vince Taylor may be interested, who knows?

I didn't say Joel and Tubby met before the flight to Minneapolis. I said that Joel and Lefft met.

This from a Star Tribune story after Tubby's hiring:

Wednesday night was also the first time Maturi and Smith spoke, albeit through Lefft.

With Lefft and Tubby in the same room at Smith's house, Maturi spoke to them until close to 2 a.m. Thursday.

"I knew he was obviously interested," Maturi said. "He said, 'I will come up and look.' "

Interference with Contract

Generally, if a contract exists between two parties (e.g. Tubby and the U of M), a third party that attempts to have one party or the other breach the contract could have liability under the concept of "tortious interference with contract rights."

None of us know what's in the contract between Tubby and the U (or, for that matter, what the contract was with Kentucky). I'd expect that a contract with a high-level coach would include some language as to the process to be followed if the coach receives inquiries from other programs. From what I've read, there's usually some provisions for buy-out and extension of contracts, etc., so I'd expect there to be some language about outside inquiries.

There does seem to be an "industry standard" for ADs at one program to ask permission to talk to the AD at the other program where the targeted coach is under contract.

Top Bottom