Rule clarification:

PlayHosea

Reaction score
Help me out here. I'm watching BYU-Florida. Kid from Florida dives on the floor for the ball, ends up with possesion and slides on his backside while maintaining possesion. BYU dives in and he rolls over, at that point ref calls travel. The analyst (not sure who, he's working with Kevin Harlan) says it wasn't a travel until he rolls over. I've always heard in that situation, your backside is essentially your plant foot. The minute he started sliding with control of the ball, it's a travel. Am I wrong?

This exact thing just happened in the RM-Nova game. The rule is if you dive for the ball and get possession and your momentum carries you it's not a travel. They explained it much better in that game.

the florida guy traveled because he turned his body over while sliding, perhaps a willful extra movement for positioning that made it a foul, the nova game the guy was sliding on his butt and tossed the ball out quickly without shifting position

Recently, I had a coach go crazy on me for a situation like what just happened. During an ensuing stoppage, I explained to him that the player can indeed finish his slide, but has to get rid of the ball (or call timeout if they have one) from whatever position he stops in. If he tries to get up, it's a travel. If he rolls to one side or the other, it's a travel. I was right there and had a good look, and I was waiting for him to screw it up.

He was genuinely surprised that the rules went that way.

Sliding is your pivot point. You can slide the length of the court on your back or front and it won't be a travel. Once you pick that pivot point up by rolling over or getting up it is a travel.

Top Bottom