10 years of NCAA Tourneys in person

Ope3

Reaction score
Dating back to 2000 I have attended NCAA Tourney games each and year. Here's a look back at several shining moments. Warning, this is quite a personal indulgence...

HHH Metrodome, Minneapolis, MN - 1st & 2nd Rd
What I remember most is how the Dome became Hilton Coliseum north with tons of Cyclone fans making the trip north on 35W. I also remember how impressively UCLA dismantled Maryland, only to be subsequently dismantled themselves by Iowa St 5 days later in Detroit.

The Pit, Albuquerque, NM - Regional Finals
While watching Gonzaga (one year removed from Dan Monson leading them to the Great 8) go down to Purdue, the buddy I was with uttered this statement, "That's the last we'll hear from the Zags for quite a while." Looking back it feels like Mark Few overheard this and has made it his personal vendetta to stay a national power ever since. Other memories, a talent laden LSU (Stromille Swift) team being brought to their knees by Badger Bennett ball. They were held to 14 pts in the 1st half.

Arrowhead Pond, Anahiem, CA - Regional Finals
Leave it to the NCAA to have 2 schools separated by 15 miles (Maryland/Georgetown) fly across the country 3000 miles to play each other. Basically the same Maryland squad (Dixon, Baxter, Blake) I saw the previous year roared into the Final 4 by upsetting Stanford. 2 weeks earlier the Cardinal were a threat to go undefeated in the regular season.

United Center, Chicago, IL 1st & 2nd Round
Due in part to the Maryland/Georgetown game the year before, the NCAA introduced "the pod system" to reduce travel. Most memorable moment was Creighton's Terrell Taylor hitting a 2OT buzzer beater to oust the Florida Gators. Taylor wore #23, good karma in that building.

HHH Metrodome, Minneaplois, MN - Regional Finals
Dwayne Wade, triple double as Marquette thumps the # 1 Kentucky Wildcats. Poor Ashley Judd, I was looking for her to give a shoulder to cry on.

Kemper Arena, Kansas City, MO - Regional Finals
This was my introduction to Rock Chalk Jayhawk as Kansas essentially got 2 home games and cruised to the Regional Semis. Another thing that struck me was how much disdain there is between Kansas & Missouri fans. Think Gophers/Badgers squared.

DCU Worcester, MA - 1st & 2nd Rounds
The Green Mountain Boys from Vermont stunned the 'Cuse with an OT win. That arena was rocking and finally I saw a true Cinderella pull off huge 1st round upset. Can they do it again this year?

American Airlines Arena, Dallas TX 1st & 2nd Rounds
I got a first hand look at the top notch talent Slick Cal had assembled for Memphis. Even more impressive was the top notch talent assembled on the University of Texas cheer squad.

HHH Metrodome, Minneapolis MN Regional Finals
Some pretty exciting games made up for the ho-hum games I saw the week previously in Dallas. Florida crashed the Big East party being held by Villanova, Georgetown & Boston College (1st year after their switch to the ACC). It was depressing to watch Florida put my bracket in the crapper by beating Nova. This was the first (and still only) time I watched a team that would eventually become national champ.

HP Pavilion, San Jose, CA - Regional Finals
UCLA/Kansas in the Regional Finals had that joint jumping. The arena was basically split 50/50 with fanatics and both squads had multiple NBA draft picks, Affallo, Collison, Shipp, Rush, Chalmers & Collins. Kansas failed to reach he Final 4 again and I remember overhearing Jayhawk fans wondering aloud if Bill Self would EVER get them to the promised land. 12 months later the verdict was in.

St Pete Times Forum, Tampa FL - 1st & 2nd Rounds
#12 Western Kentucky upset #5 Drake on an OT buzzer beater.
#13 San Diego upset #4 UConn in OT after on an OT buzzer beater.
#13 Siena upset #4 Vandy. No OT.
#12 Villanova upset #5 Clemson in OT, no buzzer beater. How passe.

HHH Metrodome, Minneapolis, MN
NDSU gave Kansas a game but ultimately supremely talented Cole Aldrich & Sherron Collins won out. Also supremely talanted, the USC Song Girls. Unlike their hoops team, perhaps a few of them stuck around this year.

Today it's on to the Dunkin Donut Center in Providence, RI.

It's Fun To Go To NCAA 1st/2nd Round Games

I attended in 1986 (at All-State Arena in Rosemont) then again in 2002 and 2007 at United Center.

Going to Milwaukee tomorrow and Sunday.

My favorite NCAA game (in person) was the 1998 Regional final in St Petersburg FL. UK rallied from huge deficit in 2nd half to edge Duke and make FF.

It remains UK's only W over Duke since the 1970's.

Top Bottom