Do you guys cheer for all the B10 teams in the NCAA's

gopherbadgerman

Reaction score
Curious to know about that...

I do, esp. Wisky and MSU...

Gophs #1, Wisky #2, MSU #3 - but I hope they all win a game or two at least.

I like to see the entire Big Ten win a game or two, but after that I can't abide Wisconsin going any further. Living behind enemy lines makes me not want to put up with Badger fans bragging any more than they already do.

The farther Big Ten teams advance, the better for the national respect for the conference as a whole and the more attractive for a recruit to consider *any* Big Ten school (that makes it regularly to the dance).

Would you rather have Duke, Florida, BYU or some other "foreigner" advance? The only "sellable" position you could make to me to root against a Big Ten school, including Wisconsin, would be for some double-digit seed or mid-major.

Go Gophers!!!

Most of the time. One exception was Wisconsin and Davidson when Stephan Curry lit them up. I enjoyed that.:)

in terms of ncaa tourney basketball:

i will usually root for every other big ten team except for those becky punks who look like they are skunks in a popcorn box. i truly DO NOT CARE that they are a fellow big ten team. i despise them and all of their jerk fans.

i suspect a good number of becky fans would say the same about minnesota, if they were being honest, and not trying to come off as being "above all of that".

so i will say: go everyone else in the big ten! screw becky! :)

I'll root for Michigan State and Purdue. Can't stand the other two.

I'll root for Michigan State and Purdue. Can't stand the other two.

+1

I would cheer for OSU football because of the Tressel's, but OSU basketball is hard to cheer for. Especially when they still dwell on 72' and refuse to admit accept that it is highly unlikely that one team would engage in such a brawl without some form of provocation from the other team.

My NCAA Tournament Cheering Rules:

1) I only truly want one team to do well - The Gophers
2) I can never cheer for Wisconsin or Iowa
3) Root for the upset win in every possible matchup
4) Never root for the Big Ten just because of "National Respect." I couldn't care less what Jay Bilas or Digger Phelps thinks is the best conference. If you let those people's thoughts run your lives, then by all means, play the "National Respect" card. I think it is a weak-minded approach.

If a Big Ten Team not named Wisconsin or Iowa falls into category 3), yes I will root for it.

I cheer for the Gophers.
I never want becky to win. Never Iowa. I'll take Iowa over skunky, though.
Otherwise, I do root for other Big Ten teams.
I also generally want the acc to go down (UNC and Duke in particular). Also Kentucky and UCLA... can't stand 'em.

I don't cheer for UW, but if they advance I think of it as good for the B10. if they get bounced in the 1st Rd I won't shed a conference tear.

Rooting for the Big10

I root for a Big 10 team if it helps my bracket, otherwise I'm indifferent.

The Big Ten could get all 4 Final Four teams this year and there would still be pundits that would find a way to discount the conference. Their job is to ruffle feathers, as you can tell by their brackets, they're not smarter than you or I.

I generally cheer for teams that are going to help my brackets, unless my brackets are completely shot and then I start cheering for underdogs, schools that haven't pissed me off, and coaches that I don't think are cheating scumbags.

If a cheating scumbag is going to win me $500 in a pool, then I will cheer for him.

I never cheer for Wisconsin. I wouldn't cheer for Iowa, but I don't think that's going to be an issue for at least another 5 years.

pulling for the Big 10

YES, I sure do, mainly so the local scribes like Souhan and Reusse can eat a little crow. They LOVE to write about how the Gophers are a .500 team in a "mediocre" conference, after the Big 10 has 4 teams in the top 20 and finally won the ACC Big 10 Challenge. I'd love to see 4 Big 10 teams in the Sweet 16 and then see what they say. I have never heard either of them say the Big 10 is even a "good" BB conference.

I am both practical and selfish. I cheer for my picks.

But always the Gophers.

I always cheer for ALL the B10 teams in post season play.

Good luck

I hope Iowa and Wisconsin get obliterated every time they take the floor, field, mat or court.

I dont cheer for the badgers..
I do not cheer for the hawkeyes...oh wait they never make it.

I do normally. But not Wisconsin. Ever. The only time I ever did was against Duke in the ACC challenge and it made me slighly ill. However, should they meet Kentucky and/or West Virignia, I will. Cal and Huggins are the two biggest sleazeballs in the sport, IMO. But those are the only exceptions.

And as of last Sunday I can no longer root for Ohio State either. I'd sooner root for Iowa.

I am the only guy

who thinks that when other big ten schools do well it hurts us recruit against them. If MSU--OSU etc etc do well it will help their recruiting and therefore hurt the gophers who have to play them. Its all gophers for me. Prestige of the big ten comes a far second.

Come tournament time, it really doesn't matter how well the conference does, as long as they're respectable. So I would want like OSU to go pretty deep considering they're a 2 seed. MSU would be good to pull off an upset of Maryland maybe. Wisconsin....I'll let them beat Wofford. After that, no more. Purdue, I just want them to win a couple games cause I feel bad for them lol.

Of course, Minnesota to the Final Four trumps all.

But in the grand scheme of things, I'd much rather see the Big Ten succeed in nonconference play during the regular season, as that boosts the conference RPI, which boosts the Gophers RPI, which boosts their chances of better seedings when tournament time comes around.

4) Never root for the Big Ten just because of "National Respect." I couldn't care less what Jay Bilas or Digger Phelps thinks is the best conference. If you let those people's thoughts run your lives, then by all means, play the "National Respect" card. I think it is a weak-minded approach.

Your unnecessary personal shot and "strong minded" approach notwithstanding, I don't really care what Jay Bilas or Digger Phelps say in general either. However, if the Big Ten, for instance, never gets to the Final Four or makes any noise in the tournament, how long before it becomes a second-rate conference on the national stage? Recruits want to play in the Final Four. They want to face the best competition.

Don't think it can happen? No chance? How's baseball doing these days? The Big Ten used to be a dominant player securing top recruits from all over the country. How they doing now?

Although on a smaller "stage," how do you think it looks for Minnesota that the Big Ten is 1-10 in the Big Ten/ACC challenge? Only one Big Ten team, Michigan State, has managed a non-losing record in the challenge. You think this doesn't matter? I do. Although not as much as NCAA tournament success.

who thinks that when other big ten schools do well it hurts us recruit against them. If MSU--OSU etc etc do well it will help their recruiting and therefore hurt the gophers who have to play them. Its all gophers for me. Prestige of the big ten comes a far second.

Doc, I will respectfully disagree and still think that what is good for the Big Ten is good for Minnesota basketball. Good point though.

who to cheer for???

I cannot root for Wisconsin, ever, in anything unless so doing would DIRECTLY benefit the Gophers. I pretty much feel the same about Iowa.

I want Wisconsin and Iowa to fail in every possible way. I've never even picked Wisconsin to win in a bracket. Other than that I do root for the B10, simply to have someone to root for. Obviously I'm usually all for the underdogs but I'd always enjoy seeing B10 teams make it far because it helps the Gopher's perception. Big East teams get hyped simply because they play in the Big East so when the B10 starts to kill it'll help our rankings, tourny chances, recruiting, etc

Yes I root for all BT teams during the tournament. Unless, ofcourse, they are playing the Gophers. I have no animosity for our nearest neighbors, In fact, the closer a team is to the twin cities, the more likely I am to sopport them.

Easy Yes This Year

Another year to cheer for all the Big Ten teams. Another year with a Herky-free tourney makes this a non-issue.

Go Big Ten!

Go Gophers!

Top Bottom