Calvin Godfrey

ChemEGopher

Section 133 Row 28!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reaction score
I saw Godfrey play last night against Mounds View. I went in to the game not expecting much because there doesn't seem to be much going on with him and the Gophers, but I came away impressed. I was even more stunned to check startibune.com this morning and see he finished with 34 points (I did not ealize he had that many). It was a very efficient 34 points. He scored exlusively on dunks, post moves and free throws and all his attempts were within the flow of the offense. And it wasn't like he played the whole game. He had two or three extensive stretches on the bench. If anything I was surprised Cooper didn't go to him more.

In the half court he is mainly a post player but he also ran and finished well on fast breaks. Actually finishing well is an understatement. He finished with authority. He dunked multiple times in transition and one of them was an incredible two handed reverse windmill slam that he some how pulled off in traffic while being fouled for an and one. As for half court play, at least on this night, he showed very good touch around the rim while using an array of post moves in which he mainly relied on muscling his way to create space. Mounds View has decent size to match up against Godfrey with a 6'9" and 6'6" post players but Godfrey was quicker and stronger than both. I'd put Godfrey at a legit 6'7" himself. I don't remember many misses inside. He would either make a bucket or drew a foul (refs were letting them bang down low so all fouls were legit). Whether on the left or right block, he favors finishing with his right hand. Same for ball handling, I don't remember him using his left at all. His handles are definitely the weakest part of his game. As for shooting I can really only go off what I saw from the foul line but his form there looked good so there is potential for him to extend his range.

Defensively, Godfrey had a few impressive blocks. The kind where you think the defender is just getting a hand up to contest the shot but instead elevates so quickly that he swats the shot out of bounds. He was a physical defender in the post and rebounded well. He had one awesome offensive rebound and put back dunk where it seemed like he jumped, grabbed the ball, landed and re-elevated for the slam while all the defenders around him were still coming down from their initial bounds for the ball.

I realize I am basing my judgement on only one game but, if we have an extra scholarship coming into next year for whatever reason, I wouldn't mind using it on Godfrey. He has good frame, athleticism, and strength. He possesses an agressive, take it to the rim mentality that the Gophers were missing all year. I can envision him being a slightly undersized (height-wise) 4 for the Gophers. Maybe similar to J'son Stamper but with better hops.

He's going Juco so it will be another couple years before he reappears on the radar.

He's going Juco so it will be another couple years before he reappears on the radar.

What school? I really wish some of the top Juco talent would only go that route for one year. Guys like Grier and Stamper would have been nice to have for 3 years.

What school? I really wish some of the top Juco talent would only go that route for one year. Guys like Grier and Stamper would have been nice to have for 3 years.

If he DNQ's out of HS, he must attend JuCo for 2 years and earn Associate's degree to play D1.

If he DNQ's out of HS, he must attend JuCo for 2 years and earn Associate's degree to play D1.

If you graduate high school and have more than 26 transferable college credits you can transfer to the UofM without submitting you ACT or SAT scores. I don't know why he would need an A.S. degree?

If you graduate high school and have more than 26 transferable college credits you can transfer to the UofM without submitting you ACT or SAT scores. I don't know why he would need an A.S. degree?

He could transfer and be a student at the U under those conditions, but that wouldn't qualify him to play basketball under NCAA rules.

If you don't qualify out of HS, you must stay two years and get your degree from a JC. You could always redshirt one of those years to maintain three years of eligibility after that, but that is rare. If you DID qualify out of HS but went JUCO for reasons other than academics (to give yourself a chance to enhance your profile among DI coaches, for example), you need not stay for two years.

NCAA rules now require it. That's why Mbakwe needed summer school credits for Associates degree.

Did Paul Carter take a red-shirt one of the years in JUCO then? Or how does/did he have 3 years of eligibility?

NCAA rules now require it. That's why Mbakwe needed summer school credits for Associates degree.

This is conflicting with what Hates Monikers wrote... Trevor went to Marquette his fist year and was not a DNQ guy. He would not need an associates degree prior to coming here.

Did Paul Carter take a red-shirt one of the years in JUCO then? Or how does/did he have 3 years of eligibility?

From Gophersports; Played one season at Missouri State-West Plains • redshirted during the 2006-07 season.

This is conflicting with what Hates Monikers wrote... Trevor went to Marquette his fist year and was not a DNQ guy. He would not need an associates degree prior to coming here.

I don't remember Trevor's situation specifically, but he didn't need an associate's degree. He may not have had enough credits or something. Since he fled the state after his incident down there last spring, he may not have completed all of his classes.

Brewster's kid used JC the same way Trevor did. He came here and wanted to transfer. Rather than go to another DI school immediately and sit out a transfer year, he went to a JC, played that season, then was eligible to go to another school again without sitting out.

Top Bottom