Inside game decisions:

cncmin

Reaction score
Am I the only one here wondering why we didn't have a big guy playing the last 8 minutes of the game tonight? Iowa didn't have a big man playing dues to injuries, foul trouble, and just plain stink; so why didn't we have any one of our 6'10+ guys taking advantage of this on (1) post-up offense, (2) interior defense, and (3) rebounding? I'm just curious what Tubby was thinking on this - basically, he let Iowa dictate the players in the game, not the other way around. I think it was a mistake. That said, we pulled out the UGLY win and I'm happy for that.

Travis Busch came up huge for us yet again. We all still think he's not gonna have a scholly next year? Sometimes he's the only guy on the court I have confidence in - times like tonight when there were times that it seemed he was the only guy on the team hustling his butt off.

Hoff had a bad game in all aspects. Unless there was a good reason for it, I have to wonder why he was the #10 guy off the bench...my first thought was that Hoff wouldn't feel real good about it and 'I wonder how he'll play after that.' I realize Tubby had Hoff in there most of the second half, but I always believe that you keep your shooters' heads on straight because they should be concentrating on that goose neck, not wondering if coach is down on them or not.

DJ had an uncharacteristic game - he seemed a step or two slower than usual. Of course, he and the whole team.

Iverson has struggled recently, seems to be going through a mid-season slump near the basket. We need him to play well if we are to make and go anywhere in the tourney.

Westbrook's free throw shooting was clutch. Great job by that young man on the FT line.

JAS seems to be struggling after starting the season hot. We need him to step up when Hoff is cold. I think JAS is not on the floor as much lately because he's not moving his feet much on D - a lot of guys are blowing right by him. He has to pick up the defensive intensity.

Disappointing game tonight in most aspects except for the final score. I hope to see a lot more intensity on Sunday from the Gophers!

Oh, and P.S. - I know it's taboo to question Tubby in here, but first realize that I love that he's our coach...that said, he's not perfect, of course, so my other question of Tubby's coaching tonight again revolves around his use of our big men: why in the world did we start the game full-court pressing with our two centers? I don't find Ralph to be overly quick...the fact that he was the top man in that press just made me wonder what was going on. I don't think Tubby stuck in that press long, but to tire out both of your big men to begin the game seemed an odd strategy to me.

The bigs weren't effective in stopping the pick and rolls Iowa was setting, and they were scoring on us in the paint despite the height differential. Tubby found a line up that could stop their offense, which was important as we didn't have much.

AMEN ShowinGoldyLove. Sunday versus PSU, will we really care about how crappy we played at Iowa??? I think not....All we care about is we got the win tonight.....at a very very tough place to play... ask Mich St about that from last year. And to top it off...both MenGophers and LadyGophers won tonight....another double for the bestest!!!!!!!!! GO GOPHERS!!!!!!!!!

Oh, and P.S. - I know it's taboo to question Tubby in here, but first realize that I love that he's our coach...that said, he's not perfect, of course, so my other question of Tubby's coaching tonight again revolves around his use of our big men: why in the world did we start the game full-court pressing with our two centers? I don't find Ralph to be overly quick...the fact that he was the top man in that press just made me wonder what was going on. I don't think Tubby stuck in that press long, but to tire out both of your big men to begin the game seemed an odd strategy to me.

That's the kind of great question, when phrased politely (not saying you didn't) that I'd love somebody to ask Tubby on one of the call-in shows. There's probably a really good reason he did that, but I certainly don't know what it is. Hearing how Tubby analyzes situations would make me a lot smarter about basketball.

Playing the smaller lineup was a great coaching move, and absolutely won the game for us. Our smaller guys are simply better than their small guys, and Iowa had no idea what to do once we started switching on every ball screen. I think they went something like 9 minutes without scoring.

This was an ugly win against an undermanned Iowa squad, but that said, it's a road win in the Big Ten. No apologies. Improving upon the 34% shooting percentage would help us get a few more of those.

Top Bottom