Marcus- Gophers center Colton Iverson has been a real-life coming of age story

Reaction score
http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_14687900

Colton Iverson was a non-factor most of this season. Conversation about the South Dakota native revolved more around where he might transfer than whether he still could make an impact with the Gophers.

Then came the Big Ten tournament.

The 6-foot-11 260-pound sophomore finally used his big frame and toughness to create matchup problems in upset wins over Michigan State and Purdue. He averaged 10.5 points in the tournament, after averaging 4.3 during the regular season, and was a big reason the University of Minnesota reached the tournament final for the first time ever and the NCAA tournament for the second straight season.

Can he keep it up Friday against Xavier in the first round of the NCAA tournament?

There was growing speculation that he would transfer, with Colorado State, South Dakota State and Northern Iowa emerging as possible destinations. But Iverson's father said it wasn't true, that his son was ready to prove himself with the Gophers if given the opportunity.

"He understands that coaches have to make tough decisions, and sometimes that means it isn't quite how you hoped it would be," Charles Iverson said. "But the coaching staff is making the decisions that will best help the team win."

See link for full story...

I like Dad

I like Colt's dad. We need Colt to stay so this is all good.

:)

I heard from a very reliable friend who knows someone close to the situation that DeVoe Joseph will transfer if his brother Cory comes here..... :confused: Rumors = Idiot Wind.

Was there ever a thread started for the block Colton had on the OSU player where he pile-drived the guy down into the floor?

That was amazing.

I really like Colton. I believe he should start for us. Especially since we don't have a bruiser at the 4-spot yet.

Was there ever a thread started for the block Colton had on the OSU player where he pile-drived the guy down into the floor?

That was amazing.

I really like Colton. I believe he should start for us. Especially since we don't have a bruiser at the 4-spot yet.

Seeing as Colton is dominating the threads I'll add it to this one too; Sampson plays more like a 4, even Tubby has said putting Iverson in as the Center lets RS3 play his more natural spot.

That block was nice! It didn't come from a 3" vertical either, more like 5-6 ;)

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_14687900

Colton Iverson was a non-factor most of this season. Conversation about the South Dakota native revolved more around where he might transfer than whether he still could make an impact with the Gophers.

Then came the Big Ten tournament.

The 6-foot-11 260-pound sophomore finally used his big frame and toughness to create matchup problems in upset wins over Michigan State and Purdue. He averaged 10.5 points in the tournament, after averaging 4.3 during the regular season, and was a big reason the University of Minnesota reached the tournament final for the first time ever and the NCAA tournament for the second straight season.

Can he keep it up Friday against Xavier in the first round of the NCAA tournament?
Personally, I think 95% of his "coming of age" was getting his shots to fall. Other than that, he has actually played decently.

3-4 weeks ago I mentioned that Colt's FG% had dropped over 20% from last year (40% vs. 60%). Since almost that exact point, Colt has shot 69% (25-36 for last 6 games) to get his overall season FG% up to 49.3%. Way to go Colt!

I have always liked Iverson because of his aggresive style and his growing strength. But, he has always had these qualities. I agree with those who point out that his new found popularity is because his shots have been falling in the last few games. We can only cross our fingers that this will continue.

I love nothing more than seeing Colton get the ball down low and decide he is going to the hoop. Good thingsn happen when Colton plays agressively. When Colton plays well it seems to be contagious. Would love to see him get more minutes.

It seems the light switch has been turned on for Colton....He's even making a higher % of his FT's....IMO, he's not as nervous around the basket, and it shows in his (somewhat) softer touch. Need him to play tomorrow like he did the past few games, if so, I like our chances.....Along with hitting better than 70% of our FT's and .. please .. no more than 2 TO's from LW.

I agree with the thought that the switch has been turned on for Iverson. I think he's stopped thinking so much and he's just reacting more. He's learned how to use his size and his aggressiveness. As a result, he's not getting the "flagrant" fouls he got earlier in the year and he is staying out of foul trouble. It's true that he is now hitting some shots that he didn't hit earlier in the year, but, in recent weeks, we've also seen some footwork we hadn't seen earlier in the year. It's my guess that he and Sampson will be on the floor together quite a bit next year. With Damian gone, Ralph will be a guy that can consistently get the ball into Iverson from the high post. If I came away with anything from last weekend's games, I came away with the feeling that Iverson, Sampson and Joseph, if they can continue to improve, can lead this team deep into the NCAA tourney next year or more probably the year after. All three of these players are better than they were last year; even better than they were earlier this year.

Top Bottom