Tom Sorensen

ncgo4

Reaction score
Tom is the lead sports columnist for the Charlotte Observer. He picked Xavier, then added, "...problem with the team they will beat, Minnesota, is that the academic standards of the Gophers are such that they might as well play in the Ivy League. I would say that even if I hadn't gone to school there..."

I don't see this as a problem. If the academic standards are higher at Minnesota . . . GOOD

After all these are STUDENT athletes right?!? :eek:

Tom is the lead sports columnist for the Charlotte Observer. He picked Xavier, then added, "...problem with the team they will beat, Minnesota, is that the academic standards of the Gophers are such that they might as well play in the Ivy League. I would say that even if I hadn't gone to school there..."

The difference is that our standards are actually applied to our players, not just written down on paper. I suspect the policies are no different than other similar institutions, but I think our folks, in light of Gangelgate, our more rigorous in their enforcement of them, as it should be. Maybe we can be a leader.

Guys, Sorenson is making a joke.

Higher than Xavier, possibly. Noticeably better than any other Big Ten team? Unlikely.

Higher than Xavier, possibly. Noticeably better than any other Big Ten team? Unlikely.

In general, you typically see Minnesota anywhere between 5th and 8th in academic rankings of Big Ten schools, depending on which publication/research group you're listening to, though WG is right, he is obviously joking because he attended Minnesota.

It is true though that since Gangelgate, enforcement at the U is much tighter than other places.

What schools are considered "better" than MN?

I would guess NW, Michigan, Purdue, Wisconsin???

I assume Minny is ranked higher than MSU, Iowa, and OSU...

Top Bottom