Gophers 2010 - 2011 Schedule

I wrote a post asking this earlier...

I got responses from some pretty reliable posters that said we get Siena at home... Probably the Big Ten - ACC Challenge at home... Wofford... and they're working on a Seton Hall match-up (neutral probably)...

I don't think anything is official, but that's what I've heard.

Also a tournament in... San Juan or Puerto Rico? Somewhere in the Caribbean. Same tourney as WVU, UNC and some other good teams/big names.

looks like were going to have a pretty solid non conference schedule. Cant wait to see what the guys can do next year to build off of this season

looks like were going to have a pretty solid non conference schedule. Cant wait to see what the guys can do next year to build off of this season

Definitely. Wofford and Siena together are better than all of the opponents that we've faced this year... I'm excited too. And there's the possibility of Cory Joseph and Royce White coming, and Trevor Mbakwe and Al Nolen returning.

Agreed. Let's just forfeit the NCAA Tournament and go right to next year!

Esposito was on the radio a few months back. He mentioned UNI as a 'future' possibility. He even mentioned that they had talked with Kansas. Siena for sure.

Puerto Rico Tip Off Includes UNC, Davidson (Southern), Hofstra (Colonial), Minnesota (Big Ten), Nebraska (Big 12), Vanderbilt (Southeastern), West Virginia (Big East) and Western Kentucky (Sun Belt).

http://puertoricotipoff.com/

lots of San Juan's all over the place

San Juan in --- from the google

2 Localities (toponyms)
2.1 Argentina
2.2 Chile
2.3 Colombia
2.4 Costa Rica
2.5 Cuba
2.6 Dominican Republic
2.7 Honduras
2.8 Mexico
2.9 Nicaragua
2.10 Peru
2.11 Philippines
2.12 Puerto Rico
2.13 Spain
2.14 Trinidad and Tobago
2.15 United States
2.16 Venezuela

San Juan? He is the Head Waiter at Mexican Village Restaurant in Fargo ND.

The fact that we can get excited about Siena and Winthrop speaks to the disastrous non-conference home schedules that Tubby and Co. have given us. To make up for this year's gouging of STHs, they should be working to bring in a big-time opponent, not just a decent mid major.

Nothing wrong at all with Siena. They are a good team who has a fantastic recent basketball history.

Nothing wrong at all with Siena. They are a good team who has a fantastic recent basketball history.

I agree. There is nothing wrong with Siena being the 2nd or 3rd best team you play at home for non-conference. If Siena is the marquee opponent, then I see a problem.

"There is nothing wrong with Siena being the 2nd or 3rd best team you play at home for non-conference. If Siena is the marquee opponent, then I see a problem."

Exactly. Seton Hall (if Bobby Gonzalez's report to Andy Katz is accurate) would be a nice get, either at The Barn or the Target Center, with a return game to follow in New Jersey. If Hazell & Pope, etc., come back, that would be a quality game.

True. Siena is a very good team this year. However, IIRC Selection Sunday mentioned previously that this year's Siena squad is heavily laden with seniors including 3 of their top 4 players - the team we get to see at Williams Arena next year will probably be significantly less impressive.

It may well be a similar situation to St. Joseph's - they were a decent team last year but, with graduation losses taking a heavy toll, they were awful this season.

If we get Kansas, I'll overlook all other games lol.

Siena

True. Would expect them to be pretty decent, but they won't be anywhere near as good as they've been the last 3 years. They lose the MAAC Player of the Year (Franklin), Ubiles (former MAAC Player of the Year) and their PG (Moore). Rossiter and Jackson will be their only returning starters. That said, I would expect them to be much better than Saint Joe's was this season.

St. Joe's

St. Joe's should be on the schedule next year on the road as part of a home and home. The Seton Hall game makes sense in light of Espisito's comments about trying to open up recruiting lines in the east.

Most likely scenario is 8 home games, 1 true road game + the Puerto Rico Tip-Off. What's been rumored so far. ...

Home (7 or 8)
Siena
Wofford

Road (1 or 2)
Saint Joseph's

Neutral (3 or 4)
Puerto Rico Tip-Off

Site TBD
ACC/Big Ten Challenge
Seton Hall (have a hunch this will be at Target Center)

Deadspin had a link to this site the other day. It's like craigslist personals for D1 basketball programs. Looks like Esposito posted there in August looking for a BCS home and home deal in 2010-2011 with the Gophers willing to be the away team for the first game. Browsing this site is very interesting. There was one mid-major team looking for a home game that was advertising the fact that two of their top three scoreres would be returning next year.

Esposito

Link to main board

Deadspin had a link to this site the other day. It's like craigslist personals for D1 basketball programs. Looks like Esposito posted there in August looking for a BCS home and home deal in 2010-2011 with the Gophers willing to be the away team for the first game. Browsing this site is very interesting. There was one mid-major team looking for a home game that was advertising the fact that two of their top three scoreres would be returning next year.

Esposito

Link to main board

Very interesting find. Looks like there are tons of BCS schools that might be a good fit for us next season (ASU, Georgia, USC, Arkansas, Oklahoma State, South Carolina, Ole Miss, Auburn, Mizzou, Marquette all asking for BCS home and homes).

No excuse for another awful non conference schedule like this season. Plenty of options available.

At first glance, seems like no excuse. Although I'm sure the GA's and AZ Sts of the world don't neccessarily take the first BCS school that calls. They are probably looking for a certain fit and I'm not sure playing at MN is that fit. Hopefully it is... I'm guessing there are also financial issues at play as well.

That said, a GA home and home would be nice for Tubby.

For what it's worth, my roommate from Stillwater, Ok and I asked Tubby at the tipoff about a home and away series with Oklahoma State and he seemed to genuinely think that was a great idea. He mentioned his and Travis Ford's ties to Kentucky and seems to think pretty highly of Ford and what he's done so far at Oklahoma State. I'm sure that will never materialize but I thought I'd share anyway.

Very interesting find. Looks like there are tons of BCS schools that might be a good fit for us next season (ASU, Georgia, USC, Arkansas, Oklahoma State, South Carolina, Ole Miss, Auburn, Mizzou, Marquette all asking for BCS home and homes).

No excuse for another awful non conference schedule like this season. Plenty of options available.

Top Bottom