Gophers interested in 2-star center

BigGopherFan

Banned
Reaction score
Reggie Murphy is averaging eight points, eight rebounds and two blocked shots per game, but his productivity has increased in the second half this season. He scored eleven points Saturday as the Comets defeated Taft and they will face Mater Dei in the Division I Southern California regional final at USC's Galen Center Saturday.

Murphy, who played for the Team Ariza and Southern California All-Stars AAU programs, said that he is hearing from several top programs.

“TCU, Oklahoma, Minnesota and Marquette.”

TCU has offered him a scholarship and he plans to make visits after the season is over. Murphy said that he wants to visit several of the college that are looking at him.

“TCU, Minnesota and Marquette as well.” TCU, Minnesota and Marquette as well.

Westchester assistant coach Rick Cotton thinks that Murphy is a player with many strengths. Murphy was just 6-foot-1 in eighth grade, but has grown eight inches since then. He played guard growing up, which Cotton thinks has helped his development.

“He has a really high basketball IQ. He passes the ball well for a big man. He has a great feel for the game. He has to get a little tougher, but that will come with time. He grew so much from eight grade to ninth grade. He is still adjusting to be a big guy. He has good foot work. He is light on his feet. He has always been a guard growing up. That kind of helped him out a lot. His basketball I.Q. is really good. For a big kid like him, he has great passing ability. He passes well out of the post.”

Murphy agrees with Cotton about several of his strengths.

“I am a pretty good passer. I am a very poised player and I don’t force anything.”

Murphy said that he has some areas of his game that he wants to improve before moving to the next level.

“Work on my shooting and my conditioning”

Murphy has posted a 910 on the ACT and has a 2.5 GPA. He said that he knows several possible majors in college.

“I’ve been thinking about Business, Economics and Law Enforcement.”

Why Not Say > Gophers Scouting Developing Center?

The 2 star (stuff) is awarded the summer before senior year in camps and AAU events.

Late blooming players who didn't play much in those, get called 2 Star Players.

Oklahoma and Marquette are evaluating him, too.

Yikes 910 on the SAT! That's pretty bad...

I'm assuming with that test score they're only taking a look at two of the three tests (Critical Reading and Math), as many colleges focus in on those two scores. While not stellar, a 910 out of 1200 isn't awful, however a 910 out of 1800 would seem a near impossibility for entrance to a 4 year university. I'm pretty certain it has to be 910/1200.

910 on the ACT...Im sure he means SAT - 910 out is not too bad, about equal to a 20-21 I think you need 700 to play or thereabouts

I'm assuming with that test score they're only taking a look at two of the three tests (Critical Reading and Math), as many colleges focus in on those two scores. While not stellar, a 910 out of 1200 isn't awful, however a 910 out of 1800 would seem a near impossibility for entrance to a 4 year university. I'm pretty certain it has to be 910/1200.

It CAN'T be out of 1200! I never took the ACT, being from the east coast, I only took the SAT. It has 3 sections (800 possible points each)... therefore it's not 910/1200, but rather a 910/1600 which is not good. That would be equivalent to a 1360/2400 which is nowhere close to the average.

Did the SAT used to be out of 1600, now 2400? I thought you needed like 750 to play?

Did the SAT used to be out of 1600, now 2400? I thought you needed like 750 to play?

Yes. They've since added a "Writing" section that's another 800. (Still, the most important ones are math and verbal and are both out of 800)

Top Bottom