Students deserve the limited NCAA Reg'l tickets

Rick Mons

The former MN Snowman
Reaction score
I would have thought there would be more than just 550 tickets made available to the U for the Regionals. If I were deciding things, I'd opt that all 550 be made available to the students first and any left over should go by lottery to season ticket holders.

I say that because I got to go once to the Regionals during my undergraduate days. I also got to go once to our state basketball tournament while in high school. Both events were phenomenal and still bring back a ton of memories. (It was 41 years ago for college and 5 years before that for high school. Yep, I'm that old. :eek: )

Those of us who are older can more likely afford to buy from scalpers and ticket services. I'd rather the current students have first shot.

+100000

(considering the season ticket holders will just act as if its any other game anyway and sit on their damn hands all game.)

prove me wrong

I would have thought there would be more than just 550 tickets made available to the U for the Regionals. If I were deciding things, I'd opt that all 550 be made available to the students first and any left over should go by lottery to season ticket holders.

I say that because I got to go once to the Regionals during my undergraduate days. I also got to go once to our state basketball tournament while in high school. Both events were phenomenal and still bring back a ton of memories. (It was 41 years ago for college and 5 years before that for high school. Yep, I'm that old. :eek: )

Those of us who are older can more likely afford to buy from scalpers and ticket services. I'd rather the current students have first shot.

I agree, it'd be nice if we could get guaranteed tickets too instead of a lottery, I don't want to go if my friends can't make it. Also 76 bucks a seat is pretty expensive for student tickets. I payed 120 for the whole regular season and 50 more for the BTT (both were well worth it) but I can't imagine paying 152 bucks when we win on thursday for two more games. Kinda sucks cause I really want to go ..

-2nd row at nearly every home game
-One of 7 students at every game of the BTT
-No NCAA for me, even though its close enough to easily drive :cry:

+100000

(considering the season ticket holders will just act as if its any other game anyway and sit on their damn hands all game.)

prove me wrong

Good timing on the venting after (what I assume is) a long-time season ticket holder offers you his spot.

Good timing on the venting after (what I assume is) a long-time season ticket holder offers you his spot.

i am thankful for it, though hes not running the ticket office sadly.

and to be brutally honest the only person i ever see standing and cheering when the rouser isn't playing at home games is tubby's wife. itd be hard to reason that suddenly they would get some energy.

my one hope is that the student allocated tickets arent limited to say 20 and that the majority are going to boosters who will just sit idly there

I wouldn't say students should get all of them, but I'd say it would be fair to give half of the tickets to them. One - because it will create a better atmosphere, and two, because it's the student's university. With that being said, you simply have to give some advantaged to your season ticket holders that fork over a ton of $, when they could scalp tickets to every game for a fraction of the price.

I also do hope if they give students an area, it's in the front rows. When we were in Charlotte, they gave us the last few rows of the MN section, so it was hardly intimidating for the opposing team.

i am thankful for it, though hes not running the ticket office sadly.

and to be brutally honest the only person i ever see standing and cheering when the rouser isn't playing at home games is tubby's wife. itd be hard to reason that suddenly they would get some energy.

my one hope is that the student allocated tickets arent limited to say 20 and that the majority are going to boosters who will just sit idly there

Well-stated, gopherphan. Good timing, once again. Kudos.

Oh, one more thing: You do understand the difference between a literal and figurative reference, don't you?

Unfortunately students are perpetually being poo-pooed on by the ticket office. They jack up the student ticket prices, and take away pre-game pizza. Just the first thing that comes to mind. I don't really expect any of mine or my friend's lottery entries to get picked (I bet it's under 100 that's for students, which is an absolute travesty) so it looks as if we'll be getting out there and dealing with scalpers. I agree with GopherLady...It's the students University, let us have the tickets, let the people that fork over a ton of money for season tickets fork over a ton of money for all-session strips. They've got the money, we don't.

Unfortunately students are perpetually being poo-pooed on by the ticket office.

Well, if it's any consolation, as far as I'm concerned, they treat the non-student season ticket holders like crap too. Low budget, unprofessional.

I agree with GopherLady...It's the students University, let us have the tickets, let the people that fork over a ton of money for season tickets fork over a ton of money for all-session strips. They've got the money, we don't.

What is really pathetic is that the University gets 550 tickets. And I agree with you and GL.

550 is on par with what the rest of the teams in the tournament get, I believe.

Students should definitely get the majority of that, yes the alumni give the university a lot of money and deserve good seats, but if theyre giving the U money then they can afford to pay, i'm up to my eyeballs in student loans, having said that, i'll be making the trip and praying for some good deal on tickets (i know i'm dreaming) and most likely sleeping in my car and watching the game in a bar in milwaukee

Unfortunately students are perpetually being poo-pooed on by the ticket office. They jack up the student ticket prices, and take away pre-game pizza. Just the first thing that comes to mind. I don't really expect any of mine or my friend's lottery entries to get picked (I bet it's under 100 that's for students, which is an absolute travesty) so it looks as if we'll be getting out there and dealing with scalpers. I agree with GopherLady...It's the students University, let us have the tickets, let the people that fork over a ton of money for season tickets fork over a ton of money for all-session strips. They've got the money, we don't.

The good news is that you may get tickets from a scalper cheaper than face. It will all depend on the demand - but with WI not being there, and I can't see Pitt and Oakland traveling well, I'm guessing tickets will be more plentiful than we think. Obviously, everyone would like to know they have tickets before going down there, but it may be a blessing in disguise for all of us that don't get tickets.

As for the 550 - yes, that's an NCAA thing, not a U of MN thing. It really wouldn't be an issue with the Gophers' weaker following, if it wasn't in Milwaukee. When I was at the game in Charlotte, I don't think they even sold out the 500.

One more thing - as far as the pizza is concerned, you actually got it a lot longer than you probably should have. It was a marketing idea to get students to the games early during the Monson years, and it was the 1st year it was GA, so it would fill up from the bottom 1st. It was called Monson's meal, and Coach Monson personally paid for the pizza out of his own pocket to get students there early. Then the U picked up the tab for a while...but yes, ticket prices have doubled in just 5 years.

I talked with Amanda about the pizza thing..she said she cut the program before she knew that ticket prices were being raised. I argued once they knew they were going up they should've reinstated it...Oh well. Palermo's is terrible pizza, but it's the principle more than anything.

-One of 7 students at every game of the BTT

Looks like we really only need to reserve 7 tickets for our student section.

And what's this about free pizza? You need to feed them just to induce them to come to a Gopher Basketball game in the Barn? Sad.

50,000 students and 7 show up for the BTT (assuming that is an acurate statement). Weak.

I would imagine if the U did give the 550 tickets to our students they would want a free bus ride and free lodging and free meals (pizza?).

That said I am all for giving the students the tickets. GopherLady is 100% correct. It is their University and they should be able to go.

Free Pizza? Wow.

It is way beyond me to worry about it, because I will be at home watching the game, cheering for our Gophers, with my own pizza, or chicken, or steak, or pork chops, or liver and onions...any of those choices for me with lots of good cold beer. I'm all set. GO GOPHERS!!!

Remember...Cold anything is better than an empty fridge.

The NCAA wastes too many good seats with rows and rows of the press area. I have never figured out why the fans get stuck in the rafters and the press takes rows and rows of courtside seats.

How about

Ticket priority to Gopherholers - we who live and die with team all year long!!

The NCAA wastes too many good seats with rows and rows of the press area. I have never figured out why the fans get stuck in the rafters and the press takes rows and rows of courtside seats.

You hit that right on the head. The press should be limited to a section or the press box. There are way too many seats in the front rows given up at the NCAA. I've been to the sectionals and Final Fours and it almost isn't worth going from the perspective of viewing unless you are low in the first deck behind all of the press.

As far as the student thing goes I think the Barn offers a good opportunity for students. I wish they would take one half of the stadium and give the first 15 rows to students like they do at Cameron. Very effective.

As far as students getting the seats for the NCAAs I'm mixed. I received 2 of the 550 available. I will go as long as the Gophers advance. I'm not so sure all of the students that get tickets will renew if they go out West. The NCAA wants guaranteed money and they get it with the rabid alumns that want to travel. Reality is that the students will be able to scalp way cheaper seats on both days and especially on Sunday when most of the Friday losers have gone home. Milwaukee should be a gas regardless.

Top Bottom