A nice accomplishment. ...

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
for one of our Midwest brethren. The University of South Dakota was selected for the College Insider Tournament (CIT) and will play at Creighton tomorrow night. The Coyotes finished 22-9 and won the Great West regular season and tournament championships. I wouldn't be surprised if USD is on the Gophers' nonconference schedule next season.

Another former NCC program, Northern Colorado (24-7), also will play in the CIT. Throw in another relative D-I newbie's success last year (NDSU) and that's not a bad statement for the now defunct NCC.

for one of our Midwest brethren. The University of South Dakota was selected for the College Insider Tournament (CIT) and will play at Creighton tomorrow night. The Coyotes finished 22-9 and won the Great West regular season and tournament championships. I wouldn't be surprised if USD is on the Gophers' nonconference schedule next season.

Another former NCC program, Northern Colorado (24-7), also will play in the CIT. Throw in another relative D-I newbie's success last year (NDSU) and that's not a bad statement for the now defunct NCC.

What's the story with the Great West? Most standings I saw this season listed USD and UND as independants. The first I saw of it was the 'Great West' tournament last week. Will they get an automatic bid in a few years? Is the conference only temporary until they find new homes?

I think the Great West will end up being a temporary conference. I think South Dakota and North Dakota have already been rumored to be going to the Big Sky or Summit League.

I know Centenary is dropping from Division I, so it would make sense for the Summit to add a team. Adding USD or UND would allow them to remain a 10-team league (a good number for scheduling), and it certainly would make sense to add either one to go along with NDSU and SDSU.

Question for SS:

How long has South Dakota been full-fledged D1? I was under the impression that they made the move up within the last few years, but I'm not sure. Do you know?

The end of the old NCC sucks. That was a tough, competitive conference back in the day. UND versus NDSU was a big deal for some people. And then came cable television, big media, the internet, and made them seem so rinky dink.. RIP NCC!!

The end of the old NCC sucks. That was a tough, competitive conference back in the day. UND versus NDSU was a big deal for some people. And then came cable television, big media, the internet, and made them seem so rinky dink.. RIP NCC!!

The half that didn't go D-I lives on in the now over-bloated Northern Sun Conference. When they thought they were only losing SDSU and NDSU they asked Northern State to join the NCC. They refused to due travel/recruiting costs, but it ended up happening one way or the other.

I think the NCC would have been better off going D-1 as a whole conference with NDSU, SDSU, UND, USD, Northern Colorado and trying to pick off three existing D-1 Teams to join them. Or lean on UMD and SCSU to go D-1 as well.

South Dakota has already been accepted into the Summit League(NDSU,SDSU,Oakland, etc.), starting July 1,2011.

http://www.thesummitleague.org/ViewArticle.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=3900&ATCLID=3720305&SPID=1763&SPSID=21713

I've heard that North Dakota also would get an invite...but they have to resolve their "nickname" problem.

As far as the Great West is concerned...IMO, it's basically a "homeless shelter" for teams that don't have a conference. NDSU, NColorado, and SDSU were charter football members.

http://www.greatwestconference.org/about-gwfc/gwfc-about-gwfc.html

An automatic bid for a new conference is tough to obtain(I'm not sure of the timeline off the top of my head), but it's much easier to join an existing conference to become eligible for D-1 post-season play.

Top Bottom