Lickliter out at Iowa

Wonder when the Bobby Knight speculation will start?

I guess 3 years was enough for Iowa.

It had to be extremely painful for Hawkeye fans to watch Alford standing in an arena full of celebrating New Mexico fans as they collected their #3 seed. :)

It had to be extremely painful for Hawkeye fans to watch Alford standing in an arena full of celebrating New Mexico fans as they collected their #3 seed. :)

That raises an interesting question. Is Alford a better coach now, has better players, recruiting better or combination of all of the above? I always thought he would do OK at Iowa but was never able to turn the corner.

I agree and you have to wonder if there are issues there at play more than the coach being the problem. After all, Steve Alford had success before Iowa and now after at New Mexico while Lickliter had success before going to Iowa. I believe they are building a new practice facility but their arena is terrible.

Bruce Pearl is not leaving Tenn. for Iowa. I can't believe they even think it's possible. Set your sights on someone like Tim Myles at CSU. I think he will do well.

That Iowa team is horrible. Trying to look at it objectively, does anybody see anything positive on the horizon for that team? People may leave now and free up some scholarships, that would seem to be their best hope. Hopefully for IA, Lickliter, Jr. stays at Iowa, what a talent! Think he will be able to play where ever daddy lands next?

I also thought Alford would do better than he did at Iowa. Same with Amaker at Michigan tho, so what do I know?

Does this mean little Lick is gone too!?

...thats too bad

Wonder when the Kevin McHale speculation will start?

And how will he and lil' lick gel????

Maybe Butler will take Lick back if that job opens up.

The Gopher Football team has a better shot of getting Dungy with Mike Shannahan as his O-Coordinator.

I asked the question of who Iowa will go after when the speculation of his dismisal wass starting to heat up. I think we can all agree that the Pearl, Lute Olson etc is not coming there.

Based on things I have read here and elsewhere I would say Iowa should be going after one of these guys:

Ben Jacobson - Norther Iowa
Dana Altman - Creighton
Brad Stevens - Butler
Tim Miles - Colorado State
Keno Davis - Providence
Reggie Theus - T-wolves ?????

any others?

Can't really say I blame the Iowa AD here. I remember watching the Gophers dismantle the Hawks in Iowa City on the Big Ten Network earlier in the year and thinking "since when has Carver-Hawkeye become a morgue?"

It's going to be awhile before they are even competitive again, which will make finding the next coach pretty expensive I would guess. It'll be interesting to see who they end up with, although the notion of Bruce Pearl jumping to Iowa from Tennessee seems a bit far-fetched.

Pat Knight..you heard it here first.

I'd bet on Keno Davis. After his run at Providence I'm sure he would jump at the chance to get the H out of there & ASAP - especially to go back to Iowa. The Big East is a nightmare.

If not a younger guy like Miles, I'd give someone like Mark Gottfried the former Alabama coach a shot.

Actually the Keno Davis idea makes a lot of sense. Placates the remaining folks who mourn losing Dr Tom. Davis also didn't make many enemies when he left Drake as it was pretty much expected. He's gotten his feet wet in a major conference while at Providence and while he didn't set the Big East on fire, he didn't flame out like Likliter.

I can't blame Iowa for its decision but at the same time have to wonder if Likliter wasn't plagued by bad luck that would hurt any decent coach. But he isn't charsimatic and comes across as a bit of a nerd.

It had to be extremely painful for Hoosier fans to watch Alford standing in an arena full of celebrating New Mexico fans as they collected their #3 seed. :)

Fixed it for you.

No one in IC mourns for SA.

Alford did a good job at Iowa, that's a very tough place to win in college basketball. I don't think they would be firing Lickliter now if it wasn't for the rumors of a mass exodus (again) if he remained coach. Obviously someone like Pearl will not take that job. Keno Davis makes a ton of sense, but will he want the job? Iowa/Providence are probably in similar situations in each of their conferences...does he want the added pressure of trying to match his dad's legacy?

Am in mexico and heard from multiple iowa fans that alford was sleeping around (multiple acquaintances) and that was when his wife said she's leaving iowa with or without him. They also said he had the nicest house in town and didn't pay his subcontractors, would go clothes shopping and expect the store to give him the clothes for free and he stiffed someone for a john deere tractor (not a lawn mower). Either way it sounds like he split town before the pickup posse rolled up.

They said the support is so low for iowa basketball that the AD had no choice.

With the economics of D-1 sports, the prospect of an empty arena for basketball cannot be lived with for long. There is just little room for error. No one can handle multiple years of dwindling crowds at a revenue sport. Carver-Hawkeye is a morgue, and you can't support the non revenue sports with an empty arena. Lick did have some bad luck, but the AD had no choice. The whole scene down there makes me appreciate the fan base we have here. We were ready to bail on Monson, but it took longer than three years, and we hung in there remarkably well with at least purchasing the tickets if not attending the games.

I will welcome Keno Davis to Iowa City. I hope the Gophs are the first (and certainly not the last) to hang a hundred on the Hawks. The over/unders will be about 180. He is the Anti-Lickliter.

Yeah, Keno Davis is definitely nothing like Lickliter. But he is still rather inexperienced as a HC. I think their new coach has to be able to 1) recruit VERY well, 2) have an entertaining style of play, and 3) be competitive in the Big 10. Not sure Keno can coach a team that would be competitive in the Big 10, but they might as well give it a shot. Lickliter had players leaving en masse every year (rumor has it that Gatens would've left if Lick stayed). Maybe Keno is the guy - it's hard to think of anyone else that has HC experience that can recruit well that would actually want to go to Iowa.

That Iowa team is horrible. Trying to look at it objectively, does anybody see anything positive on the horizon for that team? People may leave now and free up some scholarships, that would seem to be their best hope. Hopefully for IA, Lickliter, Jr. stays at Iowa, what a talent! Think he will be able to play where ever daddy lands next?

I also thought Alford would do better than he did at Iowa. Same with Amaker at Michigan tho, so what do I know?

I'm bad at picking up typed sarcasm. I'm assuming this is...

Top Bottom