Love from CBS analyst

gotta love Doyel :pig:

can't manage to not insult Tubby, while picking the Gophers...

that being said, its nice seeing some pundit who likes us, even if he is a horse's a$$. most seem to think it is tragic that we got in over Miss St and Va Tech. I can't get much on the actual match-up vs Xavier, which is what I really want to hear them talk about.

Go Goldy !!

The pertinent parts from Gregg Doyel:

"Most likely upset: Take Minnesota over Xavier. The Gophers are playing great of late, reaching the Big Ten title game, and Tubby Smith -- awful as a recruiter and a motivator -- is tremendous with the X's and the O's. Give him a week to prepare for Xavier, and he'll figure out something.

Best mascot: You have to give Minnesota credit. They named their sports teams after a rodent, and not a cuddly a rodent -- but a rodent that wreaks havoc around the Midwest. I personally have tried to kill gophers in my backyard, and I don't like stepping on ants. But a gopher is the gross, yard-killing spawn of Satan. All due respect.
"

Interesting opinion of Tubby. Cue FOT for a response... :D

What's that about??

"Awful as a recruiter and motivator" ????

What the ____ is he talking about?

When I was in the Air Force, we had cable trenches running, and you could find the cables by looking for the line of gopher holes. They liked the soft dirt in the cable trench. And they loved chomping on cables.

Goldy Gopher is the greatest mascot around. I love the goofy grin, it makes him stand out from every other mascot out there.

I also love mascots who are different from other ones. I mean, how many Tigers, Wildcats, and various birds can there be? I also dislike people as mascots (come on, how annoying is the leprechaun)? for this reason, my personal favorites are the Terrapins (what's better than a fighting tortoise?), the Gators, and, of course, the Gophers. Bucky fits my criteria but I simply cannot stand that big-headed flat-faced rodent.

What's that about??

"Awful as a recruiter and motivator" ????

What the ____ is he talking about?

Doyel has always hated Tubby for some reason so he just throws stuff out there like that whenever he can. When Tubby was first hired to MN, wasn't he the one who said he would be fired within a few years?

Doyel also really hates duke, so I do like him for that.

Hoffer

I also love mascots who are different from other ones. I mean, how many Tigers, Wildcats, and various birds can there be? I also dislike people as mascots (come on, how annoying is the leprechaun)? for this reason, my personal favorites are the Terrapins (what's better than a fighting tortoise?), the Gators, and, of course, the Gophers. Bucky fits my criteria but I simply cannot stand that big-headed flat-faced rodent.

My candidate for most used mascot is Bulldog!

We're not on this list, Bucky is though

it's tough for me to choose my favorite between The Fighting Okra of Delta State U and UC Santa Cruz's Banana Slug.....

http://www.oddee.com/item_96800.aspx

The thing is, a bulldog is less frightening an animal than a Gopher. Sure, 100 years ago, bulldogs were tough dogs, but the way they breed bulldogs today, just walking is a real task for them.

TCU's horned frog mascot looks like something out of an anime.

The pertinent parts from Gregg Doyel:

"Most likely upset: Take Minnesota over Xavier. The Gophers are playing great of late, reaching the Big Ten title game, and Tubby Smith -- awful as a recruiter and a motivator -- is tremendous with the X's and the O's. Give him a week to prepare for Xavier, and he'll figure out something.

Best mascot: You have to give Minnesota credit. They named their sports teams after a rodent, and not a cuddly a rodent -- but a rodent that wreaks havoc around the Midwest. I personally have tried to kill gophers in my backyard, and I don't like stepping on ants. But a gopher is the gross, yard-killing spawn of Satan. All due respect.
"

Interesting opinion of Tubby. Cue FOT for a response... :D

I have been a Tubby fan for many many years now. I have to agree with this guy if changes his words to "Team Management". Tubby is an old-school coach. He does his job in practice and leaves the rest to the players to get it done. I think that Nolan issue was Tubby's problem. He should have been on the top of it.

He said yeaterday that the reason that Gophers are doing well is because they are focusing on the positive. I think that he has been more relaxed lately. That's why we see Devron and Colton are playing so much better. Tubby is a great coach and also a student of the game. He has changed many things over the years. I remember many years ago when he 1st lost to MSU, he came back the next year and focused mainly on rebounding. MSU killed Uk on rebounding. I won't be surprized if we see Tubby next year being relaxed and more patient with his players.

Go Gophers

Top Bottom