Tubby Bought a House ??

Section201

Reaction score
FWIW

From an Oregon blog regarding their coach search:

Tubby Smith: Solidly entrenched at Minnesota. He bought a house there recently and said he's going to be there for a long long time. After his run this year it looks like he will. They love him. He likes it there a lot apparently, End of story.

http://blog.oregonlive.com/ducks/2010/03/coaching_options_tubby_smith_p.html

Tubby bought a house? That is news to me. I thought he had a condo on the river by campus.

:)

Other names mentioned are Lavin, Westhead, and Alford, among others.

Tubby's condo is walking distance from where the new BB practice facility will be built. Why would he consider anything that some people think is better, but he doesn't think it is? Tubby worked his butt off this year to take the Gophers into the Big Dance this year, and that is what he enjoys. Tubby is a good man, and Donna is loved by any and all that know her.

I think he's not going anywhere. When that new practice facility is built, it will have his name on it (well, maybe the day he retires).

FWIW

From an Oregon blog regarding their coach search:

Tubby Smith: Solidly entrenched at Minnesota. He bought a house there recently and said he's going to be there for a long long time. After his run this year it looks like he will. They love him. He likes it there a lot apparently, End of story.

http://blog.oregonlive.com/ducks/2010/03/coaching_options_tubby_smith_p.html

Tubby bought a house? That is news to me. I thought he had a condo on the river by campus.

Other names mentioned are Lavin, Westhead, and Alford, among others.

Wouldn't be surprised if Tubby did in fact buy a house. It would certainly be right in line with everything we've heard about how much he loves it in Minnesota.

There are of course people who buy condos who have no intention of moving on. Maybe he's too busy to shovel snow in winter. :D

FWIW, a lot of people use "house" to refer to condos, townhomes, etc. As of a couple of weeks ago, he was saying he was living in the condo.

(It was in response to a question about how he was dealing with Minnesota winters. He laughed and said it was no big deal 'cause he has indoor heated parking in his condo, drives to Williams where he parks in front and drives to Bierman and parks right be the door. Plus he has heated seats. ..... ;))

I think Rick is right, many people interchange house and condo. As an avid indoorsman I do not, but I wouldn't necessarily take house to mean something different than condo.

As long as Tubby is the Gopher's coach he isn't moving anywhere. Tubby and Joel live in the same condo complex on the east bank of the Mississippi River across from downtown Minneapolis. It is an upscale development in a fantastic location for anyone without young children. Tubby and his wife have been quoted as saying that they love living in close proximity to both downtown Minneapolis and the U.

As long as Tubby is the Gopher's coach he isn't moving anywhere. Tubby and Joel live in the same condo complex on the east bank of the Mississippi River across from downtown Minneapolis. It is an upscale development in a fantastic location for anyone without young children. Tubby and his wife have been quoted as saying that they love living in close proximity to both downtown Minneapolis and the U.
I think the building is the Carlyle Towers, but not sure.

gg6

I think the building is the Carlyle Towers, but not sure.

The Carlyle Tower is on the downtown side of the river by the Post Office on third avenue.

I would not walk across the 3rd Avenue bridge in winter let alone walk to "Willum Arena" from there!

BRRRRRRRRRRRR.

The Carlyle Tower is on the downtown side of the river by the Post Office on third avenue.

I would not walk across the 3rd Avenue bridge in winter let alone walk to "Willum Arena" from there!

BRRRRRRRRRRRR.

Tubby and his wife do not live in the Carlyle Tower which is on the WEST side of the river. They live on the EAST side of the river.

Tubby and his wife do not live in the Carlyle Tower which is on the WEST side of the river. They live on the EAST side of the river.

Actually, I always thought of that area over the Central/3rd Avenue and Hennepin bridges from downtown as "north" of downtown.

But, those Minneapolitans who are neighborhood purists can tell us: is the area by Surdyks, Lunds, etc considered Southeast Minneapolis or Northeast Minneapolis?

And why is "Southeast" considered "south" when it's north of South Minneapolis and pretty much no further east than South Minneapolis? And exactly who has prospects in Prospect Park?

"Explain it to me like I'm a six year old because I just don't get it" (credit to Denzel Washington's character in Philadelphia)

Rick

Actually, I always thought of that area over the Central/3rd Avenue and Hennepin bridges from downtown as "north" of downtown.

But, those Minneapolitans who are neighborhood purists can tell us: is the area by Surdyks, Lunds, etc considered Southeast Minneapolis or Northeast Minneapolis?

And why is "Southeast" considered "south" when it's north of South Minneapolis and pretty much no further east than South Minneapolis? And exactly who has prospects in Prospect Park?

"Explain it to me like I'm a six year old because I just don't get it" (credit to Denzel Washington's character in Philadelphia)

Hennepin Avenue is the North/South demarcation street running through downtown MPLS, east and west of the river.

So Surdyks is in SE MPLS by a half block. Target Field is what would be on the North part of downtown, being north of Hennepin Ave.

It is all a bit cockeyed because of the river running through town at a NW to SE flow, I think.

I worked downtown for nearly 40 years and still have trouble finding due North!

Here is a map: http://www.mapquest.com/maps?city=Minneapolis&state=MN

If you use compass bearings then it may not always be accurate to describe a building as being on the west side or east side of the Mississippi River. However, since we have always used East Bank and West Bank to describe the location of campus buildings at the U, I prefer to use that same strategy to describe the location of buildings along the river adjacent to the Minneapolis Central Business District.

As confusing as this can be in Minneapolis it is even worse in St. Paul. The West Side of St. Paul and West St. Paul are actually SOUTH of the Mississippi River from the St. Paul Central Business District.

As a good friend of mine, Daniel Stern, discovered in one of his many film appearances, "North is up!"

There is an interesting stretch of freeway running thru Oakland. It is I-80 East /I-580 West or I-80 West /I-580 East depending on which way you are traveling. Of course this freeway goes north/south.

I live in the Powderhorn neighborhood, I appreciate the nice grid layout of roads. If you miss your turn you can always take the next turn. I get a bit confused in NE/SE Minneapolis at times, but I figure it out.

But I work in Eden Prairie, I take my GPS with me when I go to lunch. The roads are like a tangled bowl of spaghetti.

Getting too weird on this one for me. Smacks of a Kentucky board where they would have photos, value, taxes, street address, etc.

Top Bottom