What is the benefit to making the NCAA?

BarnBoy

Reaction score
Other than the obvious national championship to be won by some team...

1) exposure for the program
2) tournament experience for the players
3) additional practice
3) any financial benefit?
4) other?
5) other?

How does this help recruiting in your opinion, if at all?

I really don't know the answer to any of these questions. I'm just a simple caveman.

It is fun for players and fans to be a part of it = number one benefit.

Probably a stupid question, but how do the Gophers get paid for having the tourney at the Bradley center? Wouldn't they make more money being a #1 seed in the NIT hosting game after game at the barn?

Other than the obvious national championship to be won by some team...

1) exposure for the program
2) tournament experience for the players
3) additional practice
3) any financial benefit?
4) other?
5) other?

How does this help recruiting in your opinion, if at all?

I really don't know the answer to any of these questions. I'm just a simple caveman.

A coach is always selling history. Making the NCAAs is good history.

OK I'll Bite . . . Relevance

The NIT is only really relevant to the participating teams.

The NCAA is relevant to everyone else.

I'm glad you're having a little fun tonight.

:p

There are a couple other tournaments, the CBI and CIT, that make the NIT look relevant by comparison. People will pay a little attention to the NIT, but really none to these two tournaments.

If we were hosting NIT games, we wouldn't make much money, people wouldn't be interested. We've hosted NIT games at the Barn, and attendance has been embarrassing. The NIT would probably make more money having the smaller teams host the games, as they are the ones that actually get excited about an NIT appearance.

The benefit of the NCAA is in perception, it helps all aspects. It helps increase interest in tickets, it helps with recruiting.

Considering that C.Joseph is looking at UConn and they are out and we are in is helpful.
Considering that the up and down year we have had was not itself the greatest recruiting sell, it is helpful.
And considering that many people have said they are never attending another NIT game, it is helpful.

One and done there really isn't any advantage to playing in the NCAA rather than the NIT. Win that first game and anything can happen. In that case it is a huge advantage playing in the NCAA in terms of recruiting and playoff experience.

One and done there really isn't any advantage to playing in the NCAA rather than the NIT. Win that first game and anything can happen. In that case it is a huge advantage playing in the NCAA in terms of recruiting and playoff experience.

Nah, it's definitely still better than playing two or three in the NIT. When you're going to a recruit, and you can say we've been to two straight NCAAs, even if one and done, that is a far better sell than, "We progressed into the 3rd round of the NIT".

Obviously you don't wanna be one and done every year, but I can't think of a situation when I'd take an NIT berth over an NCAA berth.

some $ info:

the NCAA tournament distributes money to conferences based upon how many games the member teams play in the tournament, then the conference divides that money equally among the member teams. overall, it depends on the total NCAA profit and how well a team did over the past 5 years. for instance, the MVC received $2.95 million based upon its success between 2000-2005, whereas the Big 12 received $14.4 million for that same stretch of years.

I remember reading somewhere that in 2007 the first round losers got just over one million. also, for participation in the tournament the NCAA gives teams a travel allowance for each game that they play, but again the real money comes from their share of the conference money (in the same article as I mentioned above that cited 2007 figures, it said teams got $82,000 in travel expenses for the 1st Rd, and then more if they kept advancing from weekend to weekend).

some $ info:

the NCAA tournament distributes money to conferences based upon how many games the member teams play in the tournament, then the conference divides that money equally among the member teams. overall, it depends on the total NCAA profit and how well a team did over the past 5 years. for instance, the MVC received $2.95 million based upon its success between 2000-2005, whereas the Big 12 received $14.4 million for that same stretch of years.

I remember reading somewhere that in 2007 the first round losers got just over one million. also, for participation in the tournament the NCAA gives teams a travel allowance for each game that they play, but again the real money comes from their share of the conference money (in the same article as I mentioned above that cited 2007 figures, it said teams got $82,000 in travel expenses for the 1st Rd, and then more if they kept advancing from weekend to weekend).

So youre telling me I shouldn't root for Wofford?? But I really, really wanted to!!

lol...the major conferences will get enough $$ as it is, so PLEASE root for Wofford. not only are upsets fun, it is SO fun to see when Bucky will make their earlier-than-seed-expectations exit

I appreciate the permission and will continue to light candles for the Gophers AND Wofford.

don't be a smart-a$$ Moonlight :) and I really really hope all of Gopher Nation cheers for Wofford

GO Wofford!!!!!!

(Is it pronounced WAH-Ford or WOE-Ford? ...y'know, to make my cheers sound accurate)

It is huge for recruiting. We can tell recruits that we've been to the NCAA tournament two consecutive years, that counts for something. Telling recruits we've been to post season play three consecutive years, doesn't count for much at all.

how about this reason: the NIT is lame :)

Well, there's a couple reasons not to be too hard on the NIT. For one, it's better than nothing. It may not count for much to go to the NIT, but it counts more than not going because you had a losing record. And the NIT is higher profile than the CBI or the CIT.

NCAA = Steak dinner
NIT = fast food burger
CIT, CBI = Vending machine burger.
No tournament = No soup for you!

kids want to play in the NCAA and no matter how you do in the tourny, it helps in recruiting. fans want to be able to brag about there school to other fans and making the tournament helps there. Media and casual fans pay much more attention when your local team is in the tourney, you can't reach the final four if your not in the field, and again it is huge in recruiting. After the Hopkins game the other night, they had the Gopher/spartan game on in the lobby and the place was packed with kids and coaches watching the game and rooting for the Gophers, especially Joe Coleman. This recent BTT run is how you get the young kids like Tyus Jones hooked on the gophers and make it a much easier sell when they are juniors and seniors.

It is cool because getting in proved Moses wrong again and hopefully shut him up for a while.

An NCAA appearance -- even a one-and-out -- boosts visibility far more than NIT and certainly the other two tournaments. And any tournament is better than saying that the players just cleaned out their lockers on the day after Selection Sunday.

Giving our sophomores and freshmen exposure to NCAA play this year helps prepare them for the next two years. Having those additional practices with a longer run in the tournament helps as well. Just look how Devoe has improved over the past month.

Best reply so far:

Xman said:
It is cool because getting in proved Moses wrong again and hopefully shut him up for a while.

Sorry Moses, no offense... just thought it was funny.

The one argument I don't buy is that playing the NCAA gives you more playoff experience than the NIT.

Top Bottom