Let's take a minute. ...

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
and tip our caps to the players and their head coach, Tubby Smith. I'm still scratching my head, trying to figure out how Tubby got this squad to the NCAA Tournament. With all the crap that went on surrounding the program, Tubby somehow got this team to the NCAA tourney, albeit (I acknowledge) in a year when the bubble was weak. On several occasions (most notably after the two Michigan games), I thought this team was toast.

Kudos to Tubby for reeling them back in. He somehow got the ship righted. ... not any easy thing to do when things look like they're going South. He's earned his paycheck big-time this season.

Sunday

As usual, you are a hard person to quibble with!

I agree completely.

:)

You got another agreement here, SS. Like I said in a separate thread dealing with the BTT, nothing to be ashamed of, and good luck Gophers in Milwaukee. Go Gophers!!!

Amen. One of Tubby's better coaching jobs.

and tip our caps to the players and their head coach, Tubby Smith. I'm still scratching my head, trying to figure out how Tubby got this squad to the NCAA Tournament. With all the crap that went on surrounding the program, Tubby somehow got this team to the NCAA tourney, albeit (I acknowledge) in a year when the bubble was weak. On several occasions (most notably after the two Michigan games), I thought this team was toast.

Kudos to Tubby for reeling them back in. He somehow got the ship righted. ... not any easy thing to do when things look like they're going South. He's earned his paycheck big-time this season.

From 14-10 to 21-13 was a very tough path for the players and coaches. Just W from here on.

You guys will soon learn that you can never count out Tubby. Just when you think it's over or you think the team is done, Tubby will pull a rabbit out of the hat. He done this time and time again at Kentucky. When his back is against the wall, he will rally the troops.

No loss of perspective here. I think he earned his paycheck all season long. Coaches don't just earn their paychecks when things are going well. In fact, they earn it more when things aren't going well.

He's no Brewster, but I'll still keep him.;)

Well said.

Tubby is truly a great coach. The slow building of cohesiveness and consistency this year was like a clinic in patience by him.

Great posts and great perspective SS!!

Go Gophers!!

I'm excited for the tourney and for next year and how this team has come together as a cohesive unit at the right time.

With all that has gone on this year - this is why we brought Tubby here.

Way to go guys - you deserve this bid!

Steve Megargee Of Rivals "Forgot" Tubby Smith

Tubby has taken Tulsa, Georgia, Kentucky, and Minnesota into NCAA tourney. And yet...

HE’S BACK

Houston’s upset of UTEP in the Conference USA tournament title game allowed Tom Penders to become just the sixth coach in history to guide four teams into the NCAA tournament.

Penders has been here before with Rhode Island, Texas and George Washington. The only other coaches to match that feat are Lefty Driesell (Davidson, Maryland, James Madison and Georgia State), Jim Harrick (Pepperdine, UCLA, Rhode Island and Georgia), Lon Kruger (Kansas State, Florida, Illinois and UNLV), Rick Pitino (Boston University, Providence, Kentucky and Louisville) and Eddie Sutton (Creighton, Arkansas, Kentucky and Oklahoma State).

Tubby has taken Tulsa, Georgia, Kentucky, and Minnesota into NCAA tourney. And yet...

HE’S BACK

Houston’s upset of UTEP in the Conference USA tournament title game allowed Tom Penders to become just the sixth coach in history to guide four teams into the NCAA tournament.

Penders has been here before with Rhode Island, Texas and George Washington. The only other coaches to match that feat are Lefty Driesell (Davidson, Maryland, James Madison and Georgia State), Jim Harrick (Pepperdine, UCLA, Rhode Island and Georgia), Lon Kruger (Kansas State, Florida, Illinois and UNLV), Rick Pitino (Boston University, Providence, Kentucky and Louisville) and Eddie Sutton (Creighton, Arkansas, Kentucky and Oklahoma State).

Tubby taking Georgia to the tourney doesn't count because Evan Turner didn't play.

I am just so glad for tubby and the players on the team. The media all year the only thing they could talk about was white and mbawake. Then half way through the nolen situation goes down which at the time was another distraction. But in the long run that was a blessing we are much better team without him.

The key to the season was when the players came together for paul carter sister. You could see a big change in each players behavior.

And now the play of Iverson is just crazy. Finally tubby tried the to bigs at the same time. Now the guards are looking to get inside.

Congrats on making it into the field. The Gophers played really well over the weekend (save for the second half today) and took advantage of an opportunity to get some good wins. Best of luck with Xavier on Friday. I don't know how much they have left on the roster from last year's squad, but they were very solid and knocked UW out in the second round last March.

Absolutely spot on, Hodger.

BTW, I heard Bruininks is going to extend Joel Maturi's contract since this team made it to the NCAAs. ..... ;)

Excellent job by Tubby and his staff, and also by the players who would not be denied. Cangratulations to them all. I am very happy for them.

Congratulations to the Gophers, Tubby and his staff. Doing it the right way is rewarded and the program has another chance to continue to grow.

And here on GH, some have said we would never amount to a gooses hoot without White, Mbakwe, and Nolen. I guess Tubby and his TEAM showed people where the bear crapped in the buckwheat. Congrats to the Gophers for getting to the Dance, now let's let these guys know that we love them and are proud of them...Take Xavier, and then what happens, happens. Good Luck, Guys.... GO GOPHERS!!!

Top Bottom