Lundardi is not the head of the selection committee

jjgopher

Reaction score
I don't get it when some of the posts i'm reading is that the Gophers are the last team in right now.... Because Lunardi said so. There are probably at least 10 other annual bracketologists that do better than Lunardi. He is not the end all be all people. We are in. Even if Mississippi State wins today, we are INNNNN

I think people need to remember that Lunari works for ESPN. Even though the game isn't on their network, the selection show is. They want as much hype as possible for these last few games. Tune into ESPN for all the latest news because we know that Joe Lunardi has the last word and the selection committee takes advice from him ...

They do a pretty good job at it though don't they?

I know it's driving me crazy. I was listening to KSTP this morning and now am listening to KFAN, and both shows are saying the same thing. We are the last team in because Lunardi says so so we either better win today or root for Miss State to win or the odds are that we won't make it to the tourney. Whoever the dumas$ is that does the morning sports talk on KSTP also said he thinks the Gophers are gonna get a 13 or 14 seed.... Who are these idiots and why do they even open their mouths?

I think people need to remember that Lunari works for ESPN. Even though the game isn't on their network, the selection show is. They want as much hype as possible for these last few games. Tune into ESPN for all the latest news because we know that Joe Lunardi has the last word and the selection committee takes advice from him ...

They do a pretty good job at it though don't they?

no. the selection show is on CBS, ESPN doesn't have the selection show.

Lunardi

Lunardi must be a long, lost cousion of Seth Greenberg- V. Tech should not even be mentioned in the same breath a the Gophers.

KSTP has some terrible people on their airwaves... Weekday mornings it sounds like a small college radio station... I wasnt sure if it was KSTP or Macalester. In most cases isnt the lowest seed a large Big Confrence school can get is a #13 seed? Dont even think they can get a #14.

BRACKETOGRAPHY- Has the Gophers as a 10 seed playing UNI. FIRMLY in!!

Lunardi must be a long, lost cousion of Seth Greenberg- V. Tech should not even be mentioned in the same breath a the Gophers.

KSTP has some terrible people on their airwaves... Weekday mornings it sounds like a small college radio station... I wasnt sure if it was KSTP or Macalester. In most cases isnt the lowest seed a large Big Confrence school can get is a #13 seed? Dont even think they can get a #14.

BRACKETOGRAPHY- Has the Gophers as a 10 seed playing UNI. FIRMLY in!!

I think the last at large teams in are usually 12 seeds. 13-16 seeds are usually small conference champions.

jj, dude, I remember when the Gophs didn't look like thay had snowball's chance in blah blah, but man, you still seen a way for them to sneak in. In fact after a heartbreaking loss, I dug up a post by you just to keep the spirits up. You, my friend, study this stuff (along with others on the board of course). Keep up the good work!

Lunardi does okay work, but he is far from some be-all, end-all.

Sure, ESPN touts his 94% accuracy rating, but frankly, anyone who REALLY follows this and UNDERSTANDS the process should be able to hit at that rate. Our own SS is likely better than that. The real test study should come in how accurate he is in his last 4 in/first 4 out over the years. I think he's been wrong there many times. For example, clearly based on seedings last year, Wisconsin was one of the last four in. He never had them that close.

I am wondering why he thinks New Mexico State and Houston are true bid-stealers. There is not a lot of compelling evidence to suggest that UTEP and Utah State should be locks. To me, they HAVE TO BE on the bubble right now and be amongst the last four in/first 4 out. Why does he think those two are stronger than Minnesota? It just doesn't make sense. My hunch is that UTEP and Utah State are VERY much on the bubble and not any stronger than MN (and probably weaker) at this point.

Thanks TJ.

For the record, I'm at 93.8% (574 of 612) on the at-larges, and I've been doing this since the 1991-92 season.

Counting only the last 5 years (starting with the 2004-05 season), I'm at 95.3% (162 of 170).

This is the least confident I've been in my selections in quite some time. It looked like the final at-larges were going to be pretty clear cut, but then all hell broke loose on Saturday.

Top Bottom