Gophers Must Win Big 10

Moses87

Banned
Reaction score
I can see the committee giving the Big 10's bid to the Illini based on their strong showing against OSU if the Gophers go out and lose by double digits.

I can also see Kentucky losing against a desperate Miss State team. The Illini can rightfully claim they finished above Minnesota in the Big 10.

knowing how the committee likes to set the field early on Sunday, I can see them saying "either or" meaning Minnesota wins they are in, lose and Illinois go in.

I cannot fathom Minnesota getting an at-large bid, thanks to the upsets today.

I can see the committee giving the Big 10's bid to the Illini based on their strong showing against OSU if the Gophers go out and lose by double digits.

I can also see Kentucky losing against a desperate Miss State team. The Illini can rightfully claim they finished above Minnesota in the Big 10.

knowing how the committee likes to set the field early on Sunday, I can see them saying "either or" meaning Minnesota wins they are in, lose and Illinois go in.

Weak.

The fact you have IL over us just b/c they had a better conference record is a bad move. We have just as many quality wins, have a better overall record, beat them in Assembly Hall, and haven't lost 5 of our last 6.

They finished above us at 10-8 in the conference when we were 9-9, yet we beat out PSU last year who was also 10-8 when we were 9-9. We're in before IL, no question.

IIRC we got in over Penn State last year when we were 9-9 and they were 10-8. Also, they give bids to teams, not conferences. Compare our resume to other bubble teams and maybe you'll feel a little more comfortable. I also don't see Miss State beating Kentucky.

You are obviously trying to stir the pot. How about we beat Illinois in their gym a couple of weeks ago? Strong showing against Ohio State? How about we just beat two top 15 teams in the nation? How about Illinois' 2-7 finish? No way they go in ahead of us 10-8 in the Big Ten or not...

I can't fathom the Gophers not getting an at large bid now regardless of what happens tomorrow - that said when it comes to Gopher sports - the worst case scenario often isn't and we are left scratching our heads...

You know I haven't been on this board in months and what ever hole you crawled out of in that time - it' s time for you to go back miss merry sunshine.

Moses are you even looking at their resume as a whole? I mean you think Kent St is in because of their RPI and now you say Illinois is in before the Gophers because of their conference record?

People imo are just waaaaaaaaaaay to reliant on RPI. I mean UTEP and Utah St have better RPI than the gophs but their overall body of work doesnt come close to Minnesota or Illinois.

You feel pesimistic. Fine. You always are. I had you on ignore, but you're 10 point rant had me curious. You surely did not need to start ANOTHER thread to spew your negativity.

Another reason for negativity...Did you hear the HT interview with the NCAA Committee head today?

He said the conference tournament play is just "1 percent" of the season....He used the phrase "body of work" for the entire season at least 3 times. I think they are paying less attention to teams like Minnesota and Miss State who make tourney runs, only to fall short of winning the tourney. In all actuality, the Conference Tourney's are at least 10% of the season, no? I thought his math was weird but now I take it that they plan to minimize the Gophers run.

Another reason for negativity...Did you hear the HT interview with the NCAA Committee head today?

He said the conference tournament play is just "1 percent" of the season....He used the phrase "body of work" for the entire season at least 3 times. I think they are paying less attention to teams like Minnesota and Miss State who make tourney runs, only to fall short of winning the tourney. In all actuality, the Conference Tourney's are at least 10% of the season, no? I thought his math was weird but now I take it that they plan to minimize the Gophers run.

Tell that to syracuse a few years ago when they were probably out heading into the Big East tournament (like the Gophs) and made a run to the finals (like the Gophs, seeing a pattern?), however i think the Cuse won? but not 100% sure on that. I think they ended as a 7 or 8 seed.

next time please don't take your "personal" analysis directly from a purely SPECUALTIVE joe lunardi quote from when he appeared on college basketball final on espn. this is almost verbatim what he said tonight right around 11:30pm or so. at least cite him as your "reference" material here and don't try to pawn it off as your own, bud. :rolleyes:

Wasn't their OOC even worse than ours?

Wasn't their OOC even worse than ours?

yes, pretty sure it was.

anyways, just ignore this negative you-know-what. he has a history of often trying to piss people off and stir the pot by taking unpopular positions purely to drum up some message board action. it isn't worth it to debate him here.

I can not see any circumstance in which Minnesota wins the National Championship this year.

This is great for you, because it allows you to rip the Gophers and say how bad they are before each game for the rest of the season. Eventually you'll get to say "I told you so" to everybody on this board, and you'll be right. Because of the general message board dynamic, you'll still have plenty of people that don't know your agenda that will come out here and try to defend the team, or call you out, but you'll get to gloat and get under a few people's skin.

Until it is over, just go away. We get it. You think they aren't good, deserving, or capable of beating anybody. Seriously, you'll gain a lot more credibility if you just wait until it is actually over and they lose. Look at Art. He at least has the sense to wait until things have bottomed out before he comes here to stir the pot. You just look like an idiot now.

Let's compare:

Overall Record:
Minnesota 21-12
Illinois 19-14

Big Ten Record:
Minnesota 12-9
Illinois 11-10

RPI:
Minnesota 61
Illinois 68

Wins over Top 25 Teams:
Minnesota 5 (Butler, OSU, Wis, MSU, PU)
Illinois 4 (Vandy, Wis twice, MSU)

Head-to-Head:
Minnesota 62, Illinois 60 (AT ILLINOIS)

I cannot fathom how anyone could possibly say Illinois would get the bid over us in any way shape or form...win or lose vs. OSU in the finals.

Top Bottom