Reusse: After season of struggles, who's this team?

Wow, talk about a buzz kill. I don't remember ever reading an article with *so* many backhanded compliments.

It's Reusse, would you expect anything less?

Point taken. I just assumed that with the first ever appearance in the BTT final coming up, and following a completely dominating performance against the #6 team in the country, the column would be a little upbeat.

BTW, does anyone else feel like a lot of people are taking the fact that we blew PU out to indicate that PU is terrible and not that we played a great game? I'm tired of these Chris Allen, Summers and Hummel excuses.

The Big Ten started its tournament in 1998, and it seemed like a must-see event for a couple of years. Then it became obvious this was nothing more than a second chance for teams that didn't really deserve one.

It took Reusse a couple years to realize that a conference tournament in which all the teams participate just might give lower-seeded teams a chance to win? If the #1 seed always won, it wouldn't be a "must see event".

This guy (Reusse) is more consistent than an atomic clock. Unfortunately all the negative nelly's calibrate their clocks of this fricking tool. I imagine if we manage to beat OSU the he'll write up an editorial about how its not really that great of a win because the Buckeyes only play 7 guys.

People that have insecurities about themselves always look to point out the deficiencies of others to make themselves feel better. I feel bad for Reusse.His continued negativity towards the Gopher programs make it impossible for me to support their new sports-format on AM1500. Too bad...their loss, not ours.

I don't even need to read it. These buffoons in the press love to be negative and get their rocks off if their negativity gets confirmed and they get to be right.

It's so hard for them to switch opinions especially if that involves becoming positive, hopeful, or admitting they were wrong.

Reusse is a sad old marshmallow.

and the sad thing is, the casual fan gets most of their information regarding Gophers sports from sources like fat Pat.....That guy needs a thorough beating

Honestly, how do you find the intestinal fortitude to write something so overwhelmingly negative during such a positive time in the basketball program's recent history? I'm not asking you to wear Maroon-colored glasses all the time, but this is ridiculous. Where does this come from? Do you have something against Tubby Smith, Joel Maturi or someone else affiliated with the basketball program? Because this seems personal. Read the comments by the online readers and you'll discover that I'm not alone on this matter. If your personal insecurities (weight, age, balding) are getting in the way of you writing decent/objective/informative articles, then you need to quit, and take Sid Hartman with you.
You just lost another reader you fat slob.

Could he possibly downplay the recent success any more? Unbelievable jacka$$. I'm not convinced he even watches the games.

The real sad part is, and it kills me to say it, that Phat Pat is largely correct. Not to distract from the quality of these three wins, but this team has consistently embarrassed itself throughout the year. They have blown big leads while losing to good teams they should have beaten and they have lost games to teams that are flat out bad basketball teams. It's nice to see the Gophers outperform when it really counts.

Best of all it points to a possible resurgence next year with a Sampson, Iverson, Joseph, Hoffbarger core.

The real sad part is, and it kills me to say it, that Phat Pat is largely correct. Not to distract from the quality of these three wins, but this team has consistently embarrassed itself throughout the year. They have blown big leads while losing to good teams they should have beaten and they have lost games to teams that are flat out bad basketball teams. It's nice to see the Gophers outperform when it really counts.

Best of all it points to a possible resurgence next year with a Sampson, Iverson, Joseph, Hoffbarger core.

Consistently embarrased itself? i agree, they had some bad losses, clearly (most teams do). but to say that a team that had been a total and utter disaster for the majority of the past decade, and currently have THREE of its most talented players not in uniform, who is now playing for a championship, some how" embarrased itself " is stupid.

If Hoffbarger is any bit as good as Hoffarber I think we could be really good next year! I like Hoffbarger starting and Hoffarber coming off the bench.

I vented a little bit and will have a comment from that article pulled in a moment or so. And I am sure that drunk little troll, fat pat does not write his own article titles, it's pretty lazy to write it as "who's this team" rather than "who is this team". And I don't want to hear any crap about space issues.

Allow me to live in my little happy space for a while.

Yup...comment pulled with 3 minutes.

Call a guy a fat, drunk, troll, and they pull it. Interesting stance on the first amendment from a newspaper.

I generally like Patrick and he can be an excellent writer when he still cares to be. But this was over-the-top cynical, even for him. Save an occasional positive article about the Twins, he's basically turned into a crotchety old b!tch.

Yup...comment pulled with 3 minutes.

Call a guy a fat, drunk, troll, and they pull it. Interesting stance on the first amendment from a newspaper.

it's a private enterprise. they can do whatever they want. i guarantee you accepted their terms of use when you signed up.

it's a private enterprise. they can do whatever they want. i guarantee you accepted their terms of use when you signed up.

EULA's are squishy at best. I believe it is challenging for the 4th estate to monitor/censure comments.

By excellent writer, do you mean using words that make him sound like he knows more than he really does?

I generally like Patrick and he can be an excellent writer when he still cares to be. But this was over-the-top cynical, even for him. Save an occasional positive article about the Twins, he's basically turned into a crotchety old b!tch.

He probably gets a chuckle off the reactions of people on this board when he writes some of his stories.

My take - the Gophs are playing well and beat two good teams the past two days. The Iowa and PSU wins do not mean that much to me, and IMO the win at Ill was cancelled out by the loss at Michigan. It does show that the team was not playing nearly as well as it could have been for most of the year, and I agree, if they had played like this, they would have been 12-6 or 13-5 in the conference. That all said, I still think it was a little harsh for my taste, but if you dont like him dont read him, and maybe he will not write anymore...

You make it sound as though there have been countless losses. How many are there actually?

You make it sound as though there have been countless losses. How many are there actually?

If I look at it from a neutral perspective, until we started making a run, most on this board were saying the same thing. How many posters ripped Iverson, saying he was a D-II player? We all were frustrated by games that we gave away. Remember the Portland, Michigan and Indiana losses? Though only being a few losses, they sure stand out because of the magnitude of the losses and the fact that the team looked like they didn't care.

Now, the team seems to have woken up and Pat is asking where was this intensity all year? Honestly a fair question. He also points out that if MSU were better free throw shooters, we would not be here. Again, a fair point. But that day, they weren't.

The fact remains that we are here, playing for the Big Ten Tournament title. We are peaking at the best time of year and from this point forward, the past is the past. Don't worry about Royce, Trevor or Nolen. Forget about Anaheim, Bloomington and Ann Arbor. Go out and slow down Turner and do what we did earlier this year. It is all doable and we control our own destiny. Most teams in the country would love to say that right now!

Big 10

he even goes on to state that we a re a 500 team in a mediocre conference...this after the Big 10 FINALLY won the ACC/Big10 challenge...and we'll proabably have the national player of the year in Evan Turner, but yes, it's a very mediocre conference *duh*. he ought to just admit that he doesn't really know much about college sports but that would be too much to hope for.

Did he mail the article in, or did he e-mail the article in?

Top Bottom