PDA

View Full Version : New Gopher baseball stadium thread

biggieb45
11-22-2008, 10:24 AM
This thread is for updates regarding the new Siebert field. I haven't heard any news in months about the stadium. If you here anything, post it here!

Tiki Owl
11-23-2008, 07:14 AM
This thread is for updates regarding the new Siebert field. I haven't heard any news in months about the stadium. If you here anything, post it here!

Speaks volumes about where baseball stands with the athletic department.

maroonfive
11-23-2008, 03:05 PM
there plans and fundraising is supposed to start soon. The plans are also supposed to be unvealed. I am not sure who is designing the park but HOK has done some great work for TCF Bank Stadium and Target Field.

Go Gophers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Big Play
11-23-2008, 09:16 PM
When are we going to be playing in this new stadium

GopherInWI
11-24-2008, 02:15 PM
I thought I remembered hearing that the target date was for construction to last two years. I'm hoping that they get going on it quickly, and hopefully have it ready to go for the 2010 season.

I'd really love to see some movement on this, but I think while they're waiting to finish up funding the football stadium, this isn't getting attention. I'd love to see someone step forward with a big donation to make a big push for it, when compared to the football stadium, the cost is peanuts...granted the attention paid is much less as well.

Hopefully we'll see drawing soon, or at the very least by next fall. The longer nothing happens, the worse I feel for the future of Gophers baseball.

goldfan24
11-24-2008, 03:17 PM
I heard that the new baseball stadium was going to be ready for the 2011 season. I remember reading several years ago that Anderson said money would be no problem with all the alumni that are current or former major league players contributing. I believe 2009 will be the final year the Gophers will play at Siebert the way it looks now. I would guess they play all their games at the HHH in 2010 while the new stadium gets completed. I can't wait to see a real stadium instead of the dump that Siebert is now. The new field will have a lower elevation also with a larger playing surface. 2500-3500 permanent seats also.

JohnnyGopher
11-24-2008, 09:41 PM
I saw some drawings a few years ago that we're unbelievable, but I'm not sure if those are still an option. They we're based on building the stadium on a new, bigger area of land, not on the current Siebert land. One thing that has been talked about is doing the stadium in phases. Undfortunately, with the economy I don't think the new stadium will be top of the line like anderson had hoped it would be, at least not right away. Back when he had money lined, we had Molitor, Steinbach, Winfield, Greg Olsen, Neagle still playing and making big money. Even Jack Morris was on board. Now it's Quinlan and Hananhan as the established major leaguers and they aren't in the big money. Have heard that Joe Mauer is interested in helping out and maybe naming something for his Grandpa.

Goldengopher
11-25-2008, 11:31 AM
could they combine a baseball stadium and a new basketball practice facility together to save money?

mnboiler
12-06-2008, 10:26 PM
while that seems like a great idea to save money i think they are just 2 different of items to make is possible. they really have nothing in common and wouldn't be easly done. with a baseball field you are looking at a large open area but with a practice facility you are looking at a decent sized building. they just wouldnt fit together. although you could come up with some cool ideas on how to use a office building as an outfield fence.

biggieb45
01-09-2009, 01:19 PM
Per PP

The Gophers are preparing for their official fund-raising kickoff for a new baseball stadium. They will need $7.5 million before they can put the first shovel in the ground on the Siebert Field site.

http://www.twincities.com/ci_11410932

TheDinkytowner
01-10-2009, 01:45 PM
I saw some drawings a few years ago that we're unbelievable, but I'm not sure if those are still an option. They we're based on building the stadium on a new, bigger area of land, not on the current Siebert land. One thing that has been talked about is doing the stadium in phases. Undfortunately, with the economy I don't think the new stadium will be top of the line like anderson had hoped it would be, at least not right away. Back when he had money lined, we had Molitor, Steinbach, Winfield, Greg Olsen, Neagle still playing and making big money. Even Jack Morris was on board. Now it's Quinlan and Hananhan as the established major leaguers and they aren't in the big money. Have heard that Joe Mauer is interested in helping out and maybe naming something for his Grandpa.

Don't forget Glen Perkins will hit the $ in a couple years and Dan Wilson recently retired after a long career. I think there's enough local star power to hold some nice fundraising events that could bring in big bucks. How much does Twinsfest pull in every year? In other news, Becky is still the only Big 10 school with no baseball team. LOL!

biggieb45
01-10-2009, 09:41 PM
In other news, Becky is still the only Big 10 school with no baseball team. LOL!

Really?? I didn't know that. I guess you learn something new every day (even between semesters :) ) I hate talking about the female dogs to the east in a Gopher baseball thread, but why don't they have a baseball team?

maroonfive
01-10-2009, 09:56 PM
is brick to match the other sporting venues.
How about the Pohlad family donating money to Siebert Field and Glen Taylor donating money for a basketball facility.

Go Gophers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TheDinkytowner
01-11-2009, 03:01 PM
Really?? I didn't know that. I guess you learn something new every day (even between semesters :) ) I hate talking about the female dogs to the east in a Gopher baseball thread, but why don't they have a baseball team?

I don't know exactly, but I think Barry Alvarez pushed to get rid of it (along with a few other sports?) when he got there in the early 90's. Becky sports had sucked for a long time and I think he wanted to pump more money into the football and basketball programs.

mnboiler
01-11-2009, 06:22 PM
There could also be some Title 9 issues in that equation too.

sconniegopher
01-17-2009, 05:30 PM
Barry Alvarez wants baseball in Wisconsin. He had nothing to do with it leaving, and he's researched ways to get it back. It was strictly a Title IX decision made by an irresponsible chancellor in Madison in the early 90's. It's pretty sad, really. But Alvarez just may get it back. Wisconsin high school baseball players are robbed of a chance so they can field a women's rowing team, but I don't know of one high school in Wisconsin that has women's or men's rowing.

maroonfive
01-17-2009, 07:13 PM
but if they do we can continue our domination over them.

Go Gophers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jike Spingleton
01-17-2009, 09:39 PM
I doubt if Becky will get baseball back

Oregon is fielding a baseball team next month for the first time in 27 years. It can be done...especially if you have Phil Knight bankrolling the athletic department.

Personally, I'm more interested in seeing if a club hockey team decides to step up should the WCHA decide to add two more teams (Bemidji State and ???). I want to see Penn State in big-time hockey.

biggieb45
02-01-2009, 02:25 PM
Small update from Sid on Jan 29th

As for a new Gophers baseball stadium, all the paperwork is done and the administration has given it the OK. All that is needed now is to raise the money.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/38577697.html?elr=KArksUUUU

Come on former players, lets start giving some money! We know the baseball team needs and deserves first rate facilities.

GopherInWI
02-01-2009, 03:14 PM
It'd be so nice to see a the baseball stadium getting closer, I'd love it if they'd release drawing of it soon!

TheDinkytowner
02-01-2009, 03:25 PM
Come on former players, lets start giving some money! We know the baseball team needs and deserves first rate facilities.

Quinlan just signed a 1-year, $1 million deal with the Angels for next year. Not huge, but more than Perkins is making right now.

Goldy74s
02-03-2009, 01:39 PM
Barry Alvarez wants baseball in Wisconsin. He had nothing to do with it leaving, and he's researched ways to get it back. It was strictly a Title IX decision made by an irresponsible chancellor in Madison in the early 90's. It's pretty sad, really. But Alvarez just may get it back. Wisconsin high school baseball players are robbed of a chance so they can field a women's rowing team, but I don't know of one high school in Wisconsin that has women's or men's rowing.

If they add any men they must add an equal number of women. If they can afford both, they can move ahead. Men's baseball and what, women's bowling?

sconniegopher
02-03-2009, 09:50 PM
So you think their being forced to cut baseball because of Title IX was fair?

Anyways, I coach high school baseball in Wisconsin. So I know a bit about the buzz. Alvarez would like to bring it back. I'm sure he'd welcome your suggestions.

Goldy74s
02-04-2009, 12:34 PM
Title IX is the law of the land. Fair has nothing to do with it:

"Men must support women under all cases."

Nothing complicated about that.;)

No I want baseball at Wisconsin? No.

sconniegopher
02-04-2009, 05:06 PM
Why wouldn't you want Wisconsin to have a baseball team?

biggieb45
02-04-2009, 11:20 PM

Cuz I don't give two sh!ts about Wisconsin and I find it semi-amusing that they don't have a baseball team ;) Sucks for WI high school baseball players though.

Goldy74s
02-05-2009, 07:02 PM

We have the best chance to get their players. Imagine if the U dropped football.

Goldmember
02-06-2009, 03:15 PM
I am not a fan of the current Siebert Field location. I would really like to see the new stadium built at the (new) intersection of Oak & 6th (across from Mariucci Arena); or, depending on how Granary Road is built, next to the softball stadium.

There is a lot of potential for raising the profile of Gopher baseball in this community, especially since the new Twins stadium is pricing a lot of families out of the market. But the current Siebert Field site is unlikely to catch on. I talk to a lot of people who have been to Mariucci but are surprised to find out that Minnesota has a baseball team. The next question is always ... well, where do they play?

Did you ever think about how hard it is to explain to someone where Siebert Field is?

re3886
02-24-2009, 03:34 PM
Behind the Football facility? It has a physical address, and even named streets by it. 16th ave SE and SE 8th St.

Goldmember
02-25-2009, 12:51 PM
True. It does have a physical adress. But that pysical adress is to a road that is an unpaved, industrial dead-end ROW. And 16th Ave. SE is not a road. It is an abandoned ROW that is now a private parking lot (which, by the way, is not available for Gopher baseball spectator parking).

And the football facility? Now there's a landmark all Minnesotans are familiar with! I'm sure most people find themselves there on a weekly basis.

Maybe you were joing. I really couldn't tell.

MrGopher
03-03-2009, 03:37 PM
You know what? I kind of like the idea of moving it to the lot across 5th street from Mariucci (lot 37). More people would remember we had a baseball team if they could see the ballpark. The location of Siebert is not a good one for advertising the presence of a University ballclub.

The only negative would be that this lot is very popular one for people attending hockey and basketball games (and of course eventually football), and losing it would be unfortunate for the parking situation.

mnboiler
03-03-2009, 04:21 PM
That is a really good place to put the Gopher Baseball Stadium but with TCF and the need for parking they will never do it. Not that the parking isn't needed but, American's have gotten the idea that they all should be able to park at the front door then walk 5 feet to there seat and be game side with food delievered to their seat. I'm sorry not everyone will be able to park next to the front door but you may have to walk a little ways and as a bonus you will become healthlier. It is one of the things that really makes me mad about American sense of entitlement.

GoGophers2005
03-06-2009, 07:25 AM
TCF Bank STadium will help raise the profile of all on campus sports, regardless where they end up putting the baseball stadium. Getting 50,000 fans on campus will open a lot of eyes.

JohnnyGopher
03-12-2009, 05:36 PM
Wisconsin getting baseball back would hurt the Gophers as we do really well recruiting the western part of the state.

pharmacygopher
04-07-2009, 09:11 AM
Latest update from Sid

Bill Smith was standing on the Metrodome infield Sunday while the Gophers baseball team was preparing to play Ohio State. "If the Metrodome is knocked down, the program that will be hurt the most will be the Gopher baseball program that has been helped a lot because of the chance to play and practice inside," he said. Fundraising has started for the new Gophers baseball stadium, which could be up within 2 1/2 years. But it won't be inside. ...

JohnnyGopher
04-07-2009, 04:44 PM
The Dome is a nice luxery to have but keep in mind that the Gophers won there three national titles and all five of there trips to the College World Series we're made before the dome ever existed, we haven't been back to Omaha since the Dome opened. Now I know college baseball has changed since then and the NCAA tournament format has changed which hurts northern teams but it's not like the Dome has led us to some great advantage. The biggest thing that would hurt is the DQ classic, as I just can't see top teams coming up here to play outside.

GopherInWI
08-23-2009, 09:25 PM
http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_13000624?nclick_check=1

Now that the University of Minnesota has completed its requirement of privately raising $86 million for its TCF Bank Stadium, it's looking for an elite gift to begin a $15 million private fundraising drive to replace the Gophers' Siebert Field for baseball.

A best-case scenario would be to break ground next June. Plans are for construction in two phases. The first would be the playing surface, which would be lowered from its current site. The second phase would include indoor batting cages and a training room.

Cool to see movement, but I'm a little bothered that the phases listed here don't mention something about bleachers. Any idea what phase that would come in? The first, I'm hoping.

sec105
09-02-2009, 03:42 PM
Building a "New Gopher baseball Stadium" would be a TOTAL waste of money. Why not build a new Wrestling Arena or a new Water Polo venue. The only people who care about Gopher baseball are the Gopher baseball players and their family and friends. It would make as much sense as building a new "Rowing" facility...oh wait they did that. A total waste. If a sport can cover it's costs then build them an arena or a stadium ... if it can't they should make do with what they have.

JohnnyGopher
09-02-2009, 05:47 PM
thanks for sharing, I guess all of us who post on here about baseball, and quite often during the season, are just wasting our time, thanks for helping us see the light.

sec105
09-03-2009, 04:05 PM
Hey..it's just my opinion Johnny Gopher..it doesn't mean I'm right. Maybe you can convince me why we need to spend millions of dollars on a sport that is not able to pay it's way.

I love womens vollyeball. I attend most every match. I can somehow justify it's expense by the argument that the women need the same "opportunities" as the men do and should have them even oif the income does not cover the cost. I can't use that argument in baseball.

I did come on a little strong when I said it is a TOTAL WASTE. But I do not know how to justify the cost. Why should a young man get a partial scholaship to attend the U simply because he can play baseball well. Basketball or football I can understand because it is revenue generating and pays it's own way. Baseball is not so why should the baseball player get a scholarship when the water polo player does not. That's really the argument that I cannot refute to my non sports loving friends.

Maybe the Football and the Basketball cover the cost of these other non revenue sports so there is no out of pocket cost to the general public but if they didn't have tpo carry that burden the costs to the interested public would potentially be more reasonable than the $30.00 per game for basketball (a number that I understabnd will be going up significantly next year).

So if it's not a TOTAL WASTE then it's at least hard to justify. Again JMO

maroonfive
09-03-2009, 08:20 PM
Most of the money is from private money. I can say from your posts that you are a waste of my time.

Go Gophers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

youngstowngopher
09-04-2009, 06:58 AM
When I go to Ohio State to see Gophers Hoops I walk past Bill Davis Stadium (basketball parking lot is across the street from it), that stadium is beautiful and I'm hoping the Gophers are trying to get something done like that...because Coach Anderson certainly deserves nothing but the best facility they can possibly build.

GopherInWI
09-06-2009, 03:48 PM
http://www.startribune.com/sports/56799772.html?page=2&c=y

Gophers baseball coach John Anderson said arrangements have been made with Metrodome management to play the team's entire 2010 schedule in the Dome. No games will be played at Siebert Field, and the hope is that ground will be broken there soon for a new college baseball stadium.

I don't love the idea of playing the whole season in the dome, but if that's what it takes to get the Gophers into a new baseball stadium, so be it.

Bronko Nagurski Gopher
09-06-2009, 10:41 PM
http://www.startribune.com/sports/56799772.html?page=2&c=y

I don't love the idea of playing the whole season in the dome, but if that's what it takes to get the Gophers into a new baseball stadium, so be it.

agreed. not crazy about watching college baseball or any baseball for that matter in a dome, but if that is what it takes to get it done sooner rather than later then so be it. man, what opening target field will do to a guy! ;)

also, i know that sid is quoting john anderson directly in his article, but considering it is a quote from good ole' sidney i will still take it with a "grain of salt." hope is quote his correct, but we have seen these types of things before from sid.

example: a few months back sid blowing his load early and claiming the minnesota vs. texas home-and-home football series was all but a done deal even though it wasn't.....although i am still holding out hope for that series to come to fruition.

GopherInWI
09-06-2009, 11:50 PM
Very true, BNG, but I think that's where the 'hope' part comes into play. They're set to play in the dome all year, but how strong hope is...is that wishing, or is it just debating on how soon the construction gets underway.

pharmacygopher
01-07-2010, 01:09 PM
Latest update from Sid. Looks like the Pohlad family might come through.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/80866397.html?page=2&c=y

Help for U baseball

Quite some time ago, there was a story in our newspaper about how Siebert Field was falling apart, how it was dangerous for people to sit in the stands and how badly the Gophers needed a new baseball stadium.

Carl Pohlad was having dinner at the Metrodome, and he asked me if it's true the stadium was in that bad of shape.

I asked him if he would consider contributing to the building of a new stadium. He didn't say yes or no. But he did say, "Why don't you have those people talk to me."

I don't know if the university ever approached the late Mr. Pohlad. However, the university recently did approach his son Jim Pohlad, who now runs the Twins after his father's death last year.

Now the word is that the Pohlads will make it possible to build that Gophers baseball stadium by being a major contributor of between $3 million and $4 million. The Pohlad name will not be on the stadium, and I'm sure they will try to keep it quiet, like they do when they contribute to a lot of charities.

There always have been some smaller contributions to a Gophers stadium, but now that the Pohlads have come through, look for the stadium to finally be on its way.

This year, the Gophers will play all of their games in the Metrodome because of the bad conditions of Siebert Field. And they will probably continue to play in the Dome until it is torn down for a new Vikings stadium and then play in Target Field until the new Siebert Field is built.

gophersfan
01-10-2010, 12:18 PM
I just check the Gophers baseball schedule and they are schedule to play march 27 vs Louisiana Tech at Target Field.

is that correct.

mnboiler
01-10-2010, 02:10 PM
Does anyone know where the new ballpark will be located? Is it going to be in roughly the same area as the current one-because that is a terrible location. Its tucked back in there nobody knows where it is, bad parking, not alot of extra space to do something "creative" or signature.

Could it be build across from Mariucci on the north side of 5th street by the Lion Research Building. I know there is a parking lot there and the parking is most likely needed for football but people can walk. You could open up the fielding looking at Mariucci and into TCF. It would be great.

GopherInWI
01-10-2010, 06:46 PM
Does anyone know where the new ballpark will be located? Is it going to be in roughly the same area as the current one-because that is a terrible location. Its tucked back in there nobody knows where it is, bad parking, not alot of extra space to do something "creative" or signature.

Could it be build across from Mariucci on the north side of 5th street by the Lion Research Building. I know there is a parking lot there and the parking is most likely needed for football but people can walk. You could open up the fielding looking at Mariucci and into TCF. It would be great.

I think at one point they were looking north of Mariucci, but it's now set up to be the same spot...I'd love to see a bridge over the railroad track between parking and the stadium to 1) Give parking for Gopher baseball (and softball and track) as well as open another area for game day stuff for football.

HHH_Gopher
01-20-2010, 08:33 AM
I heard Maturi on CCO with Mike Max last night and they discussed the stadium. They have predesign completed and are actively raising funds. Goal is to break ground next spring with phase I (field, stands, press box). I imagine that would be a 1 year construction schedule. Phase II would be team facilities (indoor hitting facility, clubhouse, etc). Sounds like thing will finally happen.

mnboiler
01-20-2010, 04:10 PM
First of all the 2 Phase idea is great. Get the basics built. Thats really important. Then worry about the extra previously list and other cool stuff. Now if they just put it in a decent location.

Jessica Alba Fan Club
02-03-2010, 09:05 AM
Glad to see progress with this. If anyone deserved a new field it was John Anderson and the Gopher baseball program (aka the most winning program at the U) glad to see this is going to get done. Any images or sketches of the new field yet?

cfield23
02-03-2010, 10:49 PM
I just check the Gophers baseball schedule and they are schedule to play march 27 vs Louisiana Tech at Target Field.

is that correct.

yes! that's 100% correct!

Gopherphile
03-19-2010, 11:17 AM
Building a "New Gopher baseball Stadium" would be a TOTAL waste of money. Why not build a new Wrestling Arena or a new Water Polo venue. The only people who care about Gopher baseball are the Gopher baseball players and their family and friends. It would make as much sense as building a new "Rowing" facility...oh wait they did that. A total waste. If a sport can cover it's costs then build them an arena or a stadium ... if it can't they should make do with what they have.

for the record, i'm a huge baseball fan in general and love the gophers program. perhaps there aren't a lot of us, but if the team played in a nicer venue and produced a few more big leaguers, their profile would likely rise significantly.

Jike Spingleton
07-22-2010, 08:51 AM
Nothing really new, but the optimism continues:

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/98979824.html?elr=KArksi8cyaiUo8cyaiUiD3aPc:_Yyc:a UU

mnboiler
08-19-2010, 01:07 PM
Does anyone know how the fundraising is going for the new baseball field? How close are they to the $7.5 million they need. Because I would think that the Paul Molitar Batting Cages has a nice ring to it, along with the Dave Winfield Club House, also with the Terry Steinbach Weight Room, hell even the Glen Perkins Bullpen.

Gopherhurrin
08-20-2010, 09:38 AM
I know people mean no harm, but professional athletes have a very small number of years to earn a lifetime of money that will have to finance an income stream over many decades. In short, fans think these guys are richer than what they are. It takes a lot of after tax income to produce a stream of $100,000 a year incomes. My point is that not too many of these guys have millions to throw around.

gold04
08-21-2010, 07:50 AM
I think people don't realize how little money some professional athletes have. They live high on the hog and when they are finished, there is no money left.

mnboiler
08-21-2010, 09:06 AM
I think people don't realize how little money some professional athletes have. They live high on the hog and when they are finished, there is no money left.

How come I have a hard time seeing Paul Molitar, Dave Winfileld, or Terry Steinbach living "high on the hog" while they were playing. Both of you are right athletes have to find a way to make there money last for the rest of there lives, or find new income streams, but I don't see any of those three spending $50,000 at a strip club on Saturday night, ala Pacman Jones.

With all that said I'm not expecting those three to donate a couple million a piece but if you can get half a million between those three it would certainly go along way, along with have some great names on important parts of the ballpark.

mnboiler
11-13-2010, 05:51 PM
I just saw that Paul Molitar was named the Chairmen of the campaign to raise money to restore Siebert Field. If nothing else he is going to be able to go be able to bring credibility and publicity to the campaign, which is needed for a lower profile sport like baseball.

pharmacygopher
02-04-2011, 06:02 PM
Sounds like 4 million has been raised so far. Need to get to at least 7.5M though.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/115235964.html?elr=KArksi8cyaiUjc8LDyiUiD3aPc:_Yyc :aULPQL7PQLanchO7DiUr

GILBball
02-04-2011, 09:10 PM
At least 500 people at the "Bottom of the 9th" fundraiser tonight. Good odds that some significant dough was raised before the night ended.

Glass-at-50%-guy
02-08-2011, 08:44 PM
I attended the Bottom of the Ninth event at TCF Club Room on Friday. Great night, surely raised more money, but Coach Anderson admitted that we will need another seven-figure gift to make it happen. He sounded optimistic and enthusiastic.

#2Gopher
02-09-2011, 07:01 PM
As I understand it, the fundraiser last Friday night brought in only about $200,000. Not sure who was there, but I was hoping for a couple three guys to say that they will donate $3 $4 million either from them or a group effort from their friends. I was also hoping that Joe Mauer was going to step up a bit. While he turned the U down in the past (to attend college) and really has no connection to Florida, I was hoping that since Minnesota has treated him well growing up as well as professionally, he would give a generous gift. Time will tell.

pharmacygopher
02-19-2011, 10:37 AM
Not really a stadium update, but rather a location update. Looks like the Gophers will be playing Big Ten games at Target Field, yay!

http://minnesota.twins.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20110218&content_id=16676474&vkey=pr_min&fext=.jsp&c_id=min

Glass-at-50%-guy
04-03-2011, 09:35 PM
Charley Walters reporting today in the Pioneer Press that another 500k gift has been received to bring the total raised to 5M. Two-thirds of the way toward breaking ground.

pharmacygopher
07-17-2011, 09:53 AM
Small tid-bit from Sid today

The fundraising for a new U baseball stadium is stuck at $5.5 million, with $2 million more needed to start building.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/125691368.html?page=all&prepage=2&c=y#continue

Glass-at-50%-guy
08-15-2011, 01:10 PM
Tid-bit from Charley Walters PP on 8-11-11: http://www.twincities.com/walters/ci_18657382

Hall of famer Paul Molitor, who gave a stirring motivational speech at the RBI Inner Cities baseball banquet Tuesday in Bloomington, also appeared at his alma mater Gophers' fundraiser golf tournament at Willingers the same day. Molitor, who heads the Gophers' stadium fundraising effort that is up to $5.5 million, said more donors are preparing to help.

I also read in the mndaily and ballpark digest several weeks ago, that the University needs $7M to start construction. So, maybe another $1.5M is needed instead of $2.0M. Either way, we need to get this last chunk gathered to make it happen.

Glass-at-50%-guy
09-18-2011, 03:49 PM
Well, Sid Hartman continues to be remarkably negative after 60-some years of optimism. By my count, this puts us at $5.9 million, or $1.6 million short (Sid doesn't include the math below). Still a couple more major donors required.

From his column last week:
About $400,000 more has been raised to build a new Gophers baseball stadium, but that amount is far from the $7.5 million needed to start work on the current site of Siebert Field.

Go4
09-18-2011, 04:39 PM
sid is always telling other people they should contribute to the stadium. well even after sid lost a bit in Madoff ponzi scheme, he still has enough to put the u over the top for the stadium and it wouldn't impact his overall wealth that much.

Glass-at-50%-guy
10-20-2011, 11:58 AM
A piece from Sid's column last week is below. No news, other than that efforts are still going strong, and confirmation of what we already knew; need another 1.5M. Would love to see another game or two at Target Field this year, sounds like the schedule has us at the Dome for all our home games, of which there are 39!

Good news on U baseball field
There is encouraging news over fundraising for a Gophers baseball field, with $6 million of the $7.5 million needed to start construction raised.

Former Gophers star Paul Molitor has been heading fundraising efforts for nearly a year. The Baseball Hall of Famer has been talking to fellow Cretin-Derham Hall product Joe Mauer about becoming a possible donor. The Mortenson Construction Co. that would build the stadium is another possibility. And Dick Ames, the big contractor and one of the biggest Gophers donors around, could contribute by doing some of the digging for the project.

Meanwhile, in the 2012 season, the Gophers are scheduled to play 39 of their 55 games at the Metrodome with 16 games on the road. That's after they couldn't play any games at the Metrodome earlier this year because of the roof collapse.

Yanktongopher
11-02-2011, 09:02 AM
Glass Guy, Have you seen a schedule for 2012. I've been checking and still unable to find it.

LesBolstad
11-02-2011, 02:12 PM
Can anyone confirm Winfield insisted upon receiving 10K in travel "expenses" to attend a fundraiser at TCF Stadium?

I'm hearing he asked Coach Anderson is he should mention in a short speech how much he will be contributing; Anderson asked himhow much?; Winfield replied "15K"; Anderson said "I'd keep that to yourself".

So a net 5K from Winfield? WOW.

BoogeyMan
11-04-2011, 02:24 PM
I was at the fundraiser you mentioned above and I have no idea if that conversation ever took place, but it wouldn't surprise me. I have heard for years that Winfield was a jerk, but somewhat refused to believe, one I know his brother Steve and he is a wonderful person and secondly because I loved watching him play, but his speech at the event confirmed the rumors. His entire speech focused on the fact that he was awesome, at baseball at basketball, how he would have been good at football. It was one of the worst speeches I have ever heard. It was very disapointing and if that conversation mentioned above really happen, I wish the Gopher Baseball team would just cut ties with him.

ColNathanJessup
11-16-2011, 03:11 PM
My understanding is that Winfield required a $15k speaking fee to come do the fundraiser. His "donation" was waiving half of that fee. So essentially he didn't donate anything, just charged the program $7500 instead of his normal $15k. To top it off, when he received his payment the U withheld taxes (as is required.) Winfield sent it back and demanded that they gross it up so he received the full $7500 after taxes. I'm not as confident on the conversation with Anderson, but I did hear something to that effect happened. Anderson told him to just not mention how much he was "donating."

Winfield is a grade A, money grubbing.....I'll stop there.

And I agree, his speech at the banquet was so self-serving I wanted to puke.

Molitor, on the other hand, had a really great speech. He's made his mistakes in life (as we all have) but he's gone above and beyond in helping this program it seems. He'll deserve a huge thank you when this gets done.

Glass-at-50%-guy
11-23-2011, 10:38 PM
A tidbit from Charley Walters today...

Funding for a new Gophers baseball stadium has quietly reached $7 million and is rapidly moving toward the $7.5 million required to break ground.

Don't be surprised if former Gophers pitcher Glen Perkins makes a significant stadium contribution that will be announced soon.

pharmacygopher
11-24-2011, 09:46 AM
good news!!

BleedGopher
12-07-2011, 09:14 PM
A tidbit from Shooter:

"Although more than $7 million has been privately raised for a new Gophers baseball stadium, the project still would have to be approved by the university's Board of Regents before ground could be broken next spring."

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_19489180

Go Gophers!!

pharmacygopher
12-08-2011, 09:32 AM
It would be great if they break ground in the spring. I wonder what the time table would be before they could actually play? Could they be playing baseball there in 2013?

On a side note, I can't believe how long this project has taken....I started this thread 3 years ago...under a different moniker even...haha

sec105
12-09-2011, 03:43 PM
On a side note, I can't believe how long this project has taken....I started this thread 3 years ago...

JMO but I assume this project has taken this long because it is such a complete waste of money. Again that is JMO.

Gopher Gold
12-09-2011, 03:49 PM
JMO but I assume this project has taken this long because it is such a complete waste of money. Again that is JMO.

Just curious but why do you find it to be a complete waste of money?

wisconsingopher
12-13-2011, 02:47 PM
The gopher website has a new animated video up for the what the new Siebert field would look like.
http://https://www.goldengopherfund.com/Online/default.asp?doWork::WScontent::loadArticle=Load&BOparam::WScontent::loadArticle::article_id=883A98 13-591B-4951-BD2F-D771778D965A

Scroll down and click on "view siebert field legacy campaign video"

pharmacygopher
12-13-2011, 09:40 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=tWhZaW24__M

Looks like what we need. A nice, simple ballpark. Not too extravagant, but still looks great.

FarmGopher
12-15-2011, 01:32 PM
The fans in the video sure seem excited...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=tWhZaW24__M

Looks like what we need. A nice, simple ballpark. Not too extravagant, but still looks great.

Glass-at-50%-guy
12-22-2011, 04:13 PM
Charley Walters had this item below yesterday in the Pioneer Press. Nice to see Perkins is donating, I had heard some negative comments about him in regard to his lack of financial support. This is a small intimate ballpark, I would assume a Spring 2012 groundbreaking would mean it would be open for the 2013 season. But, I am sure we will find out, if and when $7.5 million is reached and the decision to break ground is made.

It looks like a groundbreaking for a new Gophers baseball stadium could come this spring. Private fundraising has exceeded $7 million and is moving toward the $7.5 million required to put a shovel in the ground. Among major donors is ex-Gophers pitcher Glen Perkins of the Twins.

BleedGopher
12-24-2011, 07:24 PM
Shooter: "The Gophers continue to rapidly move toward the $7.5 million in private funding needed to break ground for a new baseball stadium. Look for an architect to be hired next month."

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_19615801

Go Gophers!!

Glass-at-50%-guy
12-26-2011, 09:12 AM
This is exciting for Gopher baseball. I know that the University originally envisioned a $15M project, and would build it in two phases. So, if we are closing in on the completion of fund-raising for the first phase, I bet the fundraising focus is going to shift to the basketball practice facility now (another $15M project) and the second phase of the baseball facility will take a back seat temporarily. I am sure they can continue to work on both, but when it comes to fundraising and wealthy donors, something has to take center stage. Whatever the case may be, the baseball facility has been through more ups and downs in the last ten years, it will be nice to see the first shovel go into the ground.

Glass-at-50%-guy
01-04-2012, 03:02 PM
Shooter from the Pioneer Press with another note on the architect today:

As the University of Minnesota closes in on $7.5 million required in private donations for a new on-campus baseball stadium, a bid process is about to begin for an architect. Among firms that would like to construct the ballpark is Populous, formerly known as HOK Sport, which built the Twins' Target Field, as well as the new Yankee Stadium, the Detroit Tigers' Comerica Park and the Gophers' TCF Bank Stadium. Among architects for Populous is former Gophers baseball player Logan Gerken, who worked on Target Field and TCF Bank Stadium.

Glass-at-50%-guy
01-06-2012, 04:30 PM
Sid had a quick note today in the Star Tribune, perhaps this means the 7.5M has been raised and the Board of Regents will consider this in their next meeting, but sometimes Sid gets ahead of himself (I know it's hard to imagine, but yes, really, he does). Pretty amazing that the Gophers will play 27 consecutive home games, and after last year, that is a good thing:

Once the University of Minnesota Board of Regents gives its OK, invitations will be sent out to architects to work on the design of the new Gophers baseball stadium. The Gophers released their 2012 schedule Thursday, and it includes 39 home games: 38 at the Metrodome, one at Target Field and none at Siebert Field. They have 27 consecutive games at the Dome from Feb. 24 to April 3, a year after playing all their March games in either Arizona or California due to the Metrodome roof collapse.

pharmacygopher
01-17-2012, 02:45 PM
Update and good news on the stadium front....

From the MN Daily...

http://www.mndaily.com/2012/01/17/university-build-75-million-baseball-stadium

After years of planning, fundraising and false hopes, plans to build a new stadium for the University of Minnesota baseball team are finally moving forward.

The University is seeking an architect and contractor to build a $7.5 million baseball stadium to replace the 40-year-old Siebert Field. The new artificial turf field is scheduled to be completed by the end of this year.

For decades, the Gophers baseball program heard rumors of getting a new place to call home, but another multi-million dollar project would come up and trump it — most recently, TCF Bank Stadium.

The University put out a request for proposals last week after years of fundraising to begin the project.

“This means a great deal to the baseball program that has been playing in a facility that is a little out-of-date,” said David Crum, associate athletics director of the Golden Gopher Fund.

The fund, which is the nonprofit branch of the University’s athletics department in charge of fundraising, has secured commitments for a little more than $7 million toward the project. It will be built on the current Siebert Field site.

The Golden Gopher Fund has received a number of six-figure contributions including a $2 million gift from the Pohlad Family Foundation, the family that owns the Minnesota Twins.

From maintenance issues to a recruiting disadvantage, Siebert Field — constructed in 1971 — has plagued the baseball team since the early 90s. Baseball has lagged behind in an athletic department that prides itself on infrastructure. Minnesota boasts some of the top facilities in the nation like the University Aquatic Center and Ridder Arena.

“Our job is to get [Gopher baseball] a facility that is comparable to other Big Ten facilities so they’re on a level playing field,” Crum said.

Intermittently for the past decade, the Gophers baseball team has had to play its home games off-campus at the Metrodome, where attendance is poor. After the December 2010 collapse of the Dome’s roof, the team scrambled to schedule home games, which resulted in a slew of cancellations.

The team played four weekend series at Target Field and a handful of games at Siebert while the rest were either played on the road or cancelled altogether.

In 2004, the University had to schedule 24 of 35 home games in the Metrodome because Siebert Field was in such disrepair — the first time since 1970 that a majority of the home games were played off the historic field.

In 2012, the team might find it hard to keep both eyes on this season as 38 of the 39 home games will be played in the Metrodome during what may be the last year of off-campus baseball.

Since the early 90s, Gophers head baseball coach John Anderson has advocated for a new stadium and watched as the Sports Pavilion, Mariucci Arena Baseline Tennis Center and other facilities were built.

“A great number of the [donations] have been coming in because of John Anderson,” Crum said. “He is a patient and loyal member of this athletic department.”

rrjackIII
01-21-2012, 04:16 AM
according to sid http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/137725423.html?page=all&prepage=1&c=y#continue

U hopes for Dome site
Meanwhile, Gophers baseball coach John Anderson, men's track coach Steve Plasencia and even men's basketball coach Tubby Smith are hoping the Metrodome site is chosen for a new stadium.

Anderson said he would take a new Metrodome stadium in a minute rather than a new stadium on campus. That's even though the Gophers are playing a full schedule at the current Metrodome this year.

----------------------------------

Glass-at-50%-guy
01-23-2012, 08:10 PM
From Shooter today...GREAT news, but I won't get too excited until ground is broken. We have been close on this so many times.

The University of Minnesota baseball program has raised enough in private funding for a new Siebert Field that construction probably will begin this spring, Gophers athletics director Joel Maturi said.

The university has wanted to raise $7.5 million to begin Phase I of construction on a $15 million, 3,000-seat facility. Maturi said fund-raising is close enough to that amount for the Gophers to look at breaking ground. A new stadium could be ready for play in 2013.

Meanwhile, Gophers coach John Anderson, who has won more games than anyone in Big Ten baseball history, recently received a five-year contract offer from Maturi after working on one-year contracts. Details still have to be worked out before he accepts.

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_19799845

RodentRampage
01-24-2012, 03:59 PM
Anderson said he would take a new Metrodome stadium in a minute rather than a new stadium on campus. That's even though the Gophers are playing a full schedule at the current Metrodome this year.

That surprises me. Having a place to play in February is great, but once it is nice enough to play outside, it is so much better outside. The dome can be like a tomb. Who wants to go to the dome on a nice sunny spring day? I want to be able to go to baseball games indoor in February, but once it is nice enough, lets take it outside.

I hadn't heard that the proposed Vikings stadium would be capable of hosting baseball games, but I guess it must be. Perhaps he is pushing for the Vikings stadium not to play there all season, but to be sure there is an indoor baseball venue available. If the only tenant of the Metrodome is Gophers baseball and small college baseball, it is possible that it might not even be kept running.

BleedGopher
01-25-2012, 07:32 PM
per Sid:

"New Siebert Field close

With the necessary $7.5 million raised to go forward with a new Siebert Field, Gophers baseball coach John Anderson is waiting for approval by the university's Board of Regents to start the project. A message has been sent to potentially interested architects.

Meanwhile, Anderson is very happy that the Metrodome is available for his full schedule this year after repairs following the December 2010 roof collapse.

On another subject, Anderson, who has been working on a year-to-year contract, has been offered a five-year deal by Gophers athletic director Joel Maturi, and Anderson said that once a couple of items in the contract are cleared up, he will sign it. He has been Gophers coach since 1981.

The Gophers also play one game at Target Field, May 5 against Penn State. St. Peter said he is excited to have the Gophers at the Twins' home again. The Twins and Gophers also have worked together to submit a bid to play host to the Big Ten baseball tournament at Target Field in 2013. It would be the first time the Big Ten had moved that event to a major league facility.

"I'm not sure where it's going to go, but we continue to believe that the promotion of amateur baseball and certainly the relationship with the University of Minnesota has been important to the Pohlad Family and to our organization as well," St. Peter said."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/twins/138090908.html

Go Gophers!!

zambam
01-26-2012, 12:30 AM
It would be great if Target Field gets the Big Ten Baseball Tourney. Just a thought, have the Gophers considered an outdoor hockey game at Target Field? (I don't watch or keep up with hockey news so I'm not sure if it's been mentioned)

BleedGopher
02-04-2012, 07:26 PM
per Sid:

"Some six combinations of architectural firms and contractors have been asked to design the proposed new Gophers baseball field and present them to University of Minnesota officials by Feb. 15. Once the architect and contractor is picked to build the stadium, the winning design will be presented to the Board of Regents some time in May. The board is expected to approve the winner at its June 7 meeting. Groundbreaking would come shortly after. The word is that Dick Ames and Ames Construction's contribution to the cost of the stadium will be some of the heavy work."

Go Gophers!!

t-docious
02-06-2012, 10:45 AM
If the gophers ever play a hockey game outside it will be at TCF. More seats to sell. However it would be harder because the concessions are not heated...

Glass-at-50%-guy
02-09-2012, 11:51 AM
The final game at the Old Siebert...

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/139025829.html

Gophers baseball coach John Anderson said Thursday that Siebert Field – the team’s outdoor home for four decades – will play host to one final game on May 1 against St. Thomas.

The game, originally slated to be played at the Metrodome, was moved to Siebert Field to give the facility a proper send-off.

The Gophers are playing most of their home games at the Metrodome this year because of conditions at Siebert Field, and they are on track to build a new on-campus facility in the near future.

“Hosting a final game at Siebert Field is an opportunity to celebrate the deep tradition of Golden Gopher baseball,” Anderson said. “With this game, we want to recognize and remember the long-standing history that has occurred over the past 40 years in this facility.”

Glass-at-50%-guy
02-24-2012, 02:49 PM
New design/construction contractors selected, as well as a grassroots effort to complete fundraising:

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m-basebl/spec-rel/022412aae.html

University of Minnesota Athletics today announced the selection of DLR Group as the design team and PCL as the general contractor for the construction of Gopher baseball’s new Siebert Field. The project executive committee and the University of Minnesota’s office for Capital Planning Project Management made the selection. Along with the design team announcement, the athletics department also announced its grassroots fundraising campaign for the project, Siebert Field-The Final Pitch.

“Being able to announce this next step in the Siebert Field process is a great day for Gopher baseball,” head baseball coach John Anderson said. “With this announcement, Gopher baseball will be able to begin building our vision of a new on-campus stadium. Although we have not completed the fundraising process for a competitive Big Ten baseball facility, we are excited about this next step towards a new home. Working hand-in-hand with PCL/DLR, we are looking forward to putting a solid stadium foundation in place that can be further developed as funds become available. We will continue to seek donations so that we can incorporate those items that truly fulfill the fan and student-athlete experience.”

PCL Construction Services (Burnsville) is part of the PCL family of companies, the seventh-largest general contractor in North America. Since opening its Minnesota office in 1978, PCL has been involved in the construction of many notable Twin Cities landmarks, including the Mall of America, the Science Museum of Minnesota, the University of Minnesota’s Williams Arena renovation, the Ameriprise building in Minneapolis, and the Wells Fargo Tower in Saint Paul.

PCL has also built national sporting venues including the University of North Carolina at Charlotte Football Stadium, the Home Depot Center and Staples Center in Los Angeles. DLR Group (Minneapolis) is an interdisciplinary design firm with a nationally recognized sports practice for intercollegiate baseball and softball stadiums. DLR has designed Louisiana State University’s Alex Box Stadium, UFCU Disch-Falk Field at the University of Texas, PK Park at the University of Oregon, the University of Nebraska’s Hawks Field at Haymarket Park, and Penn State University’s Medlar Field at Lubrano Park.

“It was a very tough selection process,” associate athletics director Scott Ellison said. “We went through an intensive review process of the request for proposal and an interview process. We felt that PCL/DLR did an outstanding job and met our needs the best. With their experience in building previous baseball facilities, we look forward to working with them to create a first-class facility here at Minnesota.”

Gopher Athletics also announced that it is beginning its grassroots fundraising campaign for the new Siebert Field. This phase represents an opportunity for anyone to participate and support of the project. Supporters of Gopher baseball can contribute at any monetary level. For more information about getting involved, please visit siebertfield.com or by calling the Golden Gopher Fund at 612-626-4653.

Freealonzo
02-24-2012, 06:30 PM
This is the same team that replaced the Williams Arena floor. DLR has done a bunch of similar sized baseball fields. Should be a good fit.

BleedGopher
02-28-2012, 09:13 PM
per Shooter:

"The Gophers' new $7.5 million Siebert Field, designed by PCL Construction and the DLR Group, will have artificial turf. But the 2,300-seat outdoor ballpark will have an open concourse and real grass seating for picnic-style viewing. Construction begins in June."

http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci_20061660

Go Gophers!!

Gold Vision
02-28-2012, 09:43 PM
Never been to a gopher baseball game, what are the crowds like?

Is it a cheap ticket to bring a kid to?

fan of Ray Williams
02-29-2012, 06:17 AM
Adult:$8, Student/Youth/Senior:$5

BoogeyMan
02-29-2012, 11:52 AM
This weekend the Gophers host the DQ classic. In years past you can stop by a DQ and pick up some free tickets to the events. Crowds at games are generally pretty small, I would say they average right around 1000 fans per games. Crowds at the DQ classic are generally a bit larger, but not by much.

BleedGopher
03-01-2012, 06:21 PM
E-mail from Maturi:

A New Era For Gopher Baseball

Last week Gopher Athletics reached a significant milestone with the announcement that a design and build team has been selected to begin formal work on a new baseball stadium at the University of Minnesota. This announcement signifies that this critically important project is finally becoming a reality. PCL Construction will work with DLR Design to develop a plan to present to the Board of Regents in May. We are hopeful that the Board will approve the plans at its June meetings, paving the way for construction to begin soon thereafter.

The dream of this project becoming a reality has been a long time in the making and no single person has been more of a driving force behind the new Siebert Field campaign than head baseball coach, John Anderson. Coach Anderson, long a champion of amateur baseball in this region, has been tireless in his efforts to both raise awareness and funds for the new home of Gopher baseball.

Coach Anderson has been able to keep Gopher baseball competitive, both in the Big Ten and nationally, winning seven Big Ten regular season and conference tournament titles and earning six NCAA Tournament berths in the last decade alone. Without a new facility, the future ability of one of this University's most successful programs to continue to compete at a consistently high level was clearly in jeopardy.

The Pohlad Family Foundation kick-started fundraising efforts for a new Siebert Field with its generous donation. Since then the Golden Gopher Fund staff, along with Coach Anderson, have continued to work hard to obtain the additional funds required to help us reach this point, securing contributions from several key donors, friends of Gopher baseball and from our former players.

These donations and gifts-in-kind have allowed us to set an initial budget for this project of more than $7 million and begin building our vision for the future of Gopher baseball. Additional fundraising is required to complete the vision for the new Siebert Field. The Golden Gopher Fund has announced the kickoff of a grassroots campaign so that anyone interested in supporting the project can get involved (please visit siebertfield.com for more information).

This is an exciting time for Gopher baseball. Thanks to the hard work and generous support of many, the future of this great program has been secured at the University of Minnesota.

Go Gophers!

Joel Maturi
Director of Athletics

Tiki Owl
03-02-2012, 06:56 AM
Last nights "crowd" was 101.
http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m-basebl/stats/2011-2012/31nmsu.html

BoogeyMan
03-02-2012, 07:01 AM
haha, yea when I said they average about 1000 fans, that definately takes into account the larger crowds at Big Ten games, games when they play local teams like St. Thomas and of course the DQ classic. These mid week games at the dome do not draw well at all. Atleast you can find a great seat!

RodentRampage
03-02-2012, 09:25 AM
Never been to a gopher baseball game, what are the crowds like?

Is it a cheap ticket to bring a kid to?

If you sign up for Goldy's Kids Club, kids under 14 get in free. It is a good deal if you go to a lot of the non-revenue events.

RodentRampage
04-02-2012, 12:20 PM
If the Metrodome is torn down for a Vikings stadium, does that mean there will be no indoor venue for early-season baseball at home? Baseball at the dome isn't a great experience, but it does allow home games early in the season. I hadn't realized how many schools use the dome for early-season games.

BleedGopher
04-18-2012, 11:07 AM
Tweet from Doogie:

"John Anderson is a fundraising machine. He just secured a $1M donation for new Siebert. Too bad he's not in the AD mix. #Gophers"

Go Gophers!!

BleedGopher
04-18-2012, 09:28 PM
per Shooter:

"Groundbreaking for the Gophers' new $7.5 million Siebert Field is set for June 11. The ballpark will seat 1,200, but it's undecided whether there will be enough funding for lights. Meetings with four artificial turf firms are taking place this week."

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_20424584/shooter-now-gophers-tubby-smith-lauded-by-grizzlies

Go Gophers!!

Tiki Owl
04-29-2012, 05:51 AM
per Shooter:

"Groundbreaking for the Gophers' new $7.5 million Siebert Field is set for June 11. The ballpark will seat 1,200, but it's undecided whether there will be enough funding for lights. Meetings with four artificial turf firms are taking place this week."

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_20424584/shooter-now-gophers-tubby-smith-lauded-by-grizzlies

Go Gophers!!

300 attendance Friday, 500 Saturday, most games between 150-400. 1200 seats may be too many.

Goldy Gopher
04-29-2012, 03:18 PM
300 attendance Friday, 500 Saturday, most games between 150-400. 1200 seats may be too many.
I'm guessing they have to have 1200 or so seats in order to host a regional there if they were selected. I know some teams have been selected to host and have to move their regional to another stadium close by because their own stadium is not up to standards. I would think attendance would improve with a new stadium and being outdoors rather than stuck in the Metrodome as well.
I would think the stadium would have to have lights wouldn't it? or are they just talking about a new set of lights.

RodentRampage
04-30-2012, 08:54 PM
I'm guessing they have to have 1200 or so seats in order to host a regional there if they were selected. I know some teams have been selected to host and have to move their regional to another stadium close by because their own stadium is not up to standards. I would think attendance would improve with a new stadium and being outdoors rather than stuck in the Metrodome as well.
I would think the stadium would have to have lights wouldn't it? or are they just talking about a new set of lights.

I don't think that baseball attendance at the dome is any sign of what attendance will be at the new stadium. A game in the dome isn't a great experience, not only are you inside, but it is cavernous. Even with a couple thousand people, it's like being alone in a tomb.

BleedGopher
05-01-2012, 05:46 AM
PiPress: Out with the old: Gophers to bid Siebert Field a fond farewell

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_20517058/out-old-gophers-bid-siebert-field-fond-farewell

Go Gophers!!

MKE_Gopher
05-07-2012, 11:59 AM
Anyone know for sure what the makeup of the field is going to be? I know that the 'grass' is going to be synthetic, but what about the infield? Real dirt throughout? Pitchers mound and home plate only? All synthetic?

Goldy Gopher
05-07-2012, 01:48 PM
I'm not sure but I'd guess the synthetic surface allows them to play more home games earlier, I know that North Dakota went to a all synthetic infield and grass outfield and this has allowed them the ability to play more games at home early in the season despite less than ideal weather a lot of times.

wisconsingopher
05-08-2012, 06:49 PM
They said there wasn't gonna be any lights at the new field. Anyone know how much lights would cost for a normal college field?

Goldy Gopher
05-09-2012, 01:22 PM
Not sure about how much the lights will cost, but I find it very strange that there wouldn't be any and think there would almost have to be lights if not right away eventually installed, anyone know of any D1 college fields that don't have lights?

Lincoln gopher
05-09-2012, 04:24 PM
Not sure about how much the lights will cost, but I find it very strange that there wouldn't be any and think there would almost have to be lights if not right away eventually installed, anyone know of any D1 college fields that don't have lights?

Only in the Big Ten, northwestern and maybe Purdue.

wisconsingopher
05-09-2012, 06:59 PM
I don't know if it's possible, but can't they just use the lights from the current field? The lights were working at the final game. I know they would have to move them because the whole field is shifting but it would save some money.

MinnMarchDTF
06-08-2012, 02:42 PM
Looks like it's happening- Board of Regents approve Phase I:

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m-basebl/spec-rel/060812aab.html

BleedGopher
06-11-2012, 06:47 AM
KSTP: Gophers Set to Break Ground on New Campus Ballpark

http://kstp.com/article/stories/S2651076.shtml?cat=1

Go Gophers!!

MKE_Gopher
06-12-2012, 12:35 PM
Has anyone seen any updated renderings of the new field? The promotional video has been our best look to date. Just wondering if there is anything new out there yet.

HHH_Gopher
06-14-2012, 03:29 PM
Schematic plans as approved by the Board can be found here.

http://www1.umn.edu/regents/docket/2012/may/Siebert.pdf

BleedGopher
07-03-2012, 01:34 PM
Progress continues at Siebert as field removal starts this week

https://twitter.com/GopherBaseball/status/220228277523062784/photo/1

Go Gophers!!

pharmacygopher
09-23-2012, 11:23 PM
Updates, with pictures!

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m-basebl/spec-rel/062612aaa.html

Jessica Alba Fan Club
09-29-2012, 07:01 AM
So happy for Coach Anderson, he and the program really deserve this. Can't wait to see the finished product!

pharmacygopher
10-05-2012, 01:02 PM
http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/minn/sports/m-basebl/auto_pdf/2012-13/misc_non_event/10.pdf

BleedGopher
11-28-2012, 02:55 PM
Picture of the chairbacks going in:

https://twitter.com/GopherBaseball/status/273894446381289474/photo/1

Go Gophers!!

pharmacygopher
01-21-2013, 01:00 PM
I'm not trying to nitpick because I'm so frickin' happy for Anderson and the team to get a new field, but why green seats?? Wondered the same thing about Target Field.

My preference for SF would be maroon seats to match TCF, Williams, Mariucci. Oh well! Can't wait to see the finished product.

beavergopher
01-25-2013, 06:24 AM
I'm not trying to nitpick because I'm so frickin' happy for Anderson and the team to get a new field, but why green seats?? Wondered the same thing about Target Field.

My preference for SF would be maroon seats to match TCF, Williams, Mariucci. Oh well! Can't wait to see the finished product.

I agree.

Calgoph
01-25-2013, 08:20 PM

I would bet it's all about cost. Green is probably a stock seat for any number of manufacturers, while maroon would be a higher cost custom made product. Considering how hard it has been to raise the money, I'm sure Coach Anderson had something else he preferred to spend the money on.

Generally, all things considered, I like green the best for outdoor seats. Banks of green seats are more restful on the eyes and empty seats during games tend to be less conspicuous IMO.

pharmacygopher
01-26-2013, 10:03 PM
Makes enough sense, since this is a privately funded ballpark not a University funded project. Trying to stretch each dollar as far as possible.

I wonder if they are actively seeking donations for phase 2?

pharmacygopher
02-10-2013, 05:50 PM

I hadn't seen this view before. Looks good. Get me excited for phase two!

pharmacygopher
04-11-2013, 01:24 PM
Link to photo gallery from opening day shutout!!

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m-basebl/recaps/040613aaa.html

pharmacygopher
02-05-2014, 07:14 PM
http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m-basebl/spec-rel/012414aaa.html

"We are pleased that the Foundation could make it possible to provide lighting for Siebert Field," Ballintine said. "Our foundation is dedicated to the promotion of amateur baseball throughout Minnesota, and we feel that Siebert is the epicenter for the sport in this state. Siebert Field is important to us, and we look forward to future opportunities to continue improving it."

The Foundation for Minnesota Baseball is a charitable non-profit organization of people who believe in baseball as a force for good that brings people together. The Foundation strives to make the sport accessible for all in Minnesota.

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m-basebl/spec-rel/013114aaa.html

Getting some night games as a result!