New Gopher baseball stadium thread

biggieb45

Reaction score
New Siebert Field thread

This thread is for updates regarding the new Siebert field. I haven't heard any news in months about the stadium. If you here anything, post it here!

This thread is for updates regarding the new Siebert field. I haven't heard any news in months about the stadium. If you here anything, post it here!

Speaks volumes about where baseball stands with the athletic department.

Per Sid's column

there plans and fundraising is supposed to start soon. The plans are also supposed to be unvealed. I am not sure who is designing the park but HOK has done some great work for TCF Bank Stadium and Target Field.

Go Gophers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When are we going to be playing in this new stadium

I thought I remembered hearing that the target date was for construction to last two years. I'm hoping that they get going on it quickly, and hopefully have it ready to go for the 2010 season.

I'd really love to see some movement on this, but I think while they're waiting to finish up funding the football stadium, this isn't getting attention. I'd love to see someone step forward with a big donation to make a big push for it, when compared to the football stadium, the cost is peanuts...granted the attention paid is much less as well.

Hopefully we'll see drawing soon, or at the very least by next fall. The longer nothing happens, the worse I feel for the future of Gophers baseball.

I heard that the new baseball stadium was going to be ready for the 2011 season. I remember reading several years ago that Anderson said money would be no problem with all the alumni that are current or former major league players contributing. I believe 2009 will be the final year the Gophers will play at Siebert the way it looks now. I would guess they play all their games at the HHH in 2010 while the new stadium gets completed. I can't wait to see a real stadium instead of the dump that Siebert is now. The new field will have a lower elevation also with a larger playing surface. 2500-3500 permanent seats also.

I saw some drawings a few years ago that we're unbelievable, but I'm not sure if those are still an option. They we're based on building the stadium on a new, bigger area of land, not on the current Siebert land. One thing that has been talked about is doing the stadium in phases. Undfortunately, with the economy I don't think the new stadium will be top of the line like anderson had hoped it would be, at least not right away. Back when he had money lined, we had Molitor, Steinbach, Winfield, Greg Olsen, Neagle still playing and making big money. Even Jack Morris was on board. Now it's Quinlan and Hananhan as the established major leaguers and they aren't in the big money. Have heard that Joe Mauer is interested in helping out and maybe naming something for his Grandpa.

could they combine a baseball stadium and a new basketball practice facility together to save money?

while that seems like a great idea to save money i think they are just 2 different of items to make is possible. they really have nothing in common and wouldn't be easly done. with a baseball field you are looking at a large open area but with a practice facility you are looking at a decent sized building. they just wouldnt fit together. although you could come up with some cool ideas on how to use a office building as an outfield fence.

1/9/09 Update

Per PP

The Gophers are preparing for their official fund-raising kickoff for a new baseball stadium. They will need $7.5 million before they can put the first shovel in the ground on the Siebert Field site.

http://www.twincities.com/ci_11410932

I saw some drawings a few years ago that we're unbelievable, but I'm not sure if those are still an option. They we're based on building the stadium on a new, bigger area of land, not on the current Siebert land. One thing that has been talked about is doing the stadium in phases. Undfortunately, with the economy I don't think the new stadium will be top of the line like anderson had hoped it would be, at least not right away. Back when he had money lined, we had Molitor, Steinbach, Winfield, Greg Olsen, Neagle still playing and making big money. Even Jack Morris was on board. Now it's Quinlan and Hananhan as the established major leaguers and they aren't in the big money. Have heard that Joe Mauer is interested in helping out and maybe naming something for his Grandpa.

Don't forget Glen Perkins will hit the $ in a couple years and Dan Wilson recently retired after a long career. I think there's enough local star power to hold some nice fundraising events that could bring in big bucks. How much does Twinsfest pull in every year? In other news, Becky is still the only Big 10 school with no baseball team. LOL!

In other news, Becky is still the only Big 10 school with no baseball team. LOL!

Really?? I didn't know that. I guess you learn something new every day (even between semesters :) ) I hate talking about the female dogs to the east in a Gopher baseball thread, but why don't they have a baseball team?

I hope that that ballpark

is brick to match the other sporting venues.
How about the Pohlad family donating money to Siebert Field and Glen Taylor donating money for a basketball facility.

Go Gophers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Really?? I didn't know that. I guess you learn something new every day (even between semesters :) ) I hate talking about the female dogs to the east in a Gopher baseball thread, but why don't they have a baseball team?

I don't know exactly, but I think Barry Alvarez pushed to get rid of it (along with a few other sports?) when he got there in the early 90's. Becky sports had sucked for a long time and I think he wanted to pump more money into the football and basketball programs.

There could also be some Title 9 issues in that equation too.

Barry Alvarez wants baseball in Wisconsin. He had nothing to do with it leaving, and he's researched ways to get it back. It was strictly a Title IX decision made by an irresponsible chancellor in Madison in the early 90's. It's pretty sad, really. But Alvarez just may get it back. Wisconsin high school baseball players are robbed of a chance so they can field a women's rowing team, but I don't know of one high school in Wisconsin that has women's or men's rowing.

I doubt if Becky will get baseball back

but if they do we can continue our domination over them.

Go Gophers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I doubt if Becky will get baseball back

Oregon is fielding a baseball team next month for the first time in 27 years. It can be done...especially if you have Phil Knight bankrolling the athletic department.

Personally, I'm more interested in seeing if a club hockey team decides to step up should the WCHA decide to add two more teams (Bemidji State and ???). I want to see Penn State in big-time hockey.

It'd be so nice to see a the baseball stadium getting closer, I'd love it if they'd release drawing of it soon!

Come on former players, lets start giving some money! We know the baseball team needs and deserves first rate facilities.

Quinlan just signed a 1-year, $1 million deal with the Angels for next year. Not huge, but more than Perkins is making right now.

Barry Alvarez wants baseball in Wisconsin. He had nothing to do with it leaving, and he's researched ways to get it back. It was strictly a Title IX decision made by an irresponsible chancellor in Madison in the early 90's. It's pretty sad, really. But Alvarez just may get it back. Wisconsin high school baseball players are robbed of a chance so they can field a women's rowing team, but I don't know of one high school in Wisconsin that has women's or men's rowing.

If they add any men they must add an equal number of women. If they can afford both, they can move ahead. Men's baseball and what, women's bowling?

So you think their being forced to cut baseball because of Title IX was fair?

Anyways, I coach high school baseball in Wisconsin. So I know a bit about the buzz. Alvarez would like to bring it back. I'm sure he'd welcome your suggestions.

Title IX is the law of the land. Fair has nothing to do with it:

"Men must support women under all cases."

Nothing complicated about that.;)

No I want baseball at Wisconsin? No.

Why wouldn't you want Wisconsin to have a baseball team?

Cuz I don't give two sh!ts about Wisconsin and I find it semi-amusing that they don't have a baseball team ;) Sucks for WI high school baseball players though.

I am not a fan of the current Siebert Field location. I would really like to see the new stadium built at the (new) intersection of Oak & 6th (across from Mariucci Arena); or, depending on how Granary Road is built, next to the softball stadium.

There is a lot of potential for raising the profile of Gopher baseball in this community, especially since the new Twins stadium is pricing a lot of families out of the market. But the current Siebert Field site is unlikely to catch on. I talk to a lot of people who have been to Mariucci but are surprised to find out that Minnesota has a baseball team. The next question is always ... well, where do they play?

Did you ever think about how hard it is to explain to someone where Siebert Field is?

Exaxtly how hard is it to say...

Behind the Football facility? It has a physical address, and even named streets by it. 16th ave SE and SE 8th St.

True. It does have a physical adress. But that pysical adress is to a road that is an unpaved, industrial dead-end ROW. And 16th Ave. SE is not a road. It is an abandoned ROW that is now a private parking lot (which, by the way, is not available for Gopher baseball spectator parking).

And the football facility? Now there's a landmark all Minnesotans are familiar with! I'm sure most people find themselves there on a weekly basis.

Maybe you were joing. I really couldn't tell.

Top Bottom