How good is Bo Ryan's sconnie squad this year?

GopherHarvey

Reaction score
Down 50-49 with just under 2 minutes left against Iona. IONA!

Go Iona!

aww.. going into OT.. 52-52

I had to look up what their mascot was...
GO GAELS!

Wiscky pulled out the win.. 60-58.

First the close game against Monson's Long Beach team, now going to OT at the Kohl Center against something called Iona?

I know Iona gives Marist a run for their money quite often.. but just on a whim I would have guessed sconnie would have won by around 20.

Granted I watched this on the espn scoreboard, so who knows what happened in the game, still funny to see them almost lose to Iona.

I don't think it matters if it was in Madison or at the Paradise Jam. Wisconsin is supposed to win that game in regulation. With Michigan beating UCLA yesterday and Wisconsin not looking like themselves in their first two games the Big Ten may be turned upside down this year.

The Gophers have a weak non-conference schedule so we really need the Big Ten to do well in these games to help the conference RPI and improve our chances of making the NCAA.

Dont be hatin on the refs. Iona is just that good of a team
:)

What did the refs do, call a foul?

It looked like a pretty evenly called game to me. Fouls was 31 on Iona to 23 on WI while WI took 34 free throws to just 15 for Iona. Iona is just a solid team that played well.

Should be a good game tonight, but not sure what type of barometer it will be. Last year, Wisconsin was blown out by Duke on the road and went on to win 31 games and both Big Ten titles. If the Badgers win this game, it will certainly indicate the type of team they have. If they don't, it will only indicate that UCONN is really good and that the Badgers need a little more seasoning before they can compete with a team like that.

To answer the question posed at the top of the thread, the answer is very good.

4 upperclassmen form a great nucleus and everyone around the Big Ten will be wondering where this Nankvil kid came from by mid January. Throw in Taylor and Leuer off the bench and winning the Big Ten is a very good possibility.

If the Badgers win this game, it will certainly indicate the type of team they have. If they don't, it will only indicate that UCONN is really good and that the Badgers need a little more seasoning before they can compete with a team like that.

Freaking awesome. If they win, it will be a good measuring stick for Wisky's kick-a$$ team. If they lose, then it means nothing more than Wisky's team will be kick-a$$ later in the year. Hilarious.

What kind of benchmark is going to OT against Iona? Does that "certainly indicate" the type of team they have? I'm guessing that it means nothing, using your selective criteria.

I think you need some help with reading comprehension. Last year, everyone thought an early season blow out loss to Duke spelled the end of the season for the Badgers. The team went on to win 31 games. This year, if the team loses to a very good UCONN team early in the year, I don't think anyone is going to be jumping to the conclusion that the Badgers are finished. Based on last year and the 4 upperclassmen they have, that conclusion would be wrong. They may not be good enough to beat UCONN right now, but there is far to much talent on the team to write them off if they lose. If they win the game, I think it is fair to conclude they will be a serious contender for the Big Ten title.

As for the barometer of the Iona game. Let's see how good Iona is this year. The barometer that counts is they won the game.

Reading comprehension? I quoted you. There was no interpretation needed. You said that it meant nothing, except if they won. Then it meant they will be a contender. Ridiculous. I never said that it meant the end of the season. I tend to agree with you (in your 2nd post) that these games mean little in determining a team's final fate, but moreso are tools for long term preparation, how rotations are set, experience, etc.

However, if you can't see the contradiction in stating that it means great things if the Badgers win but nothing if they lose...then there's not alot left to say. You can't have it both ways.

Additionally, last year's team and how they played has about as much to do with this team's abilities as you do. Too much turnover and entirely different leadership.

I watched the second half of the game and the overtime. I thought that the refs let them play for the most part and was a pretty physical game. Missed calls went both ways but they certainly weren't one sided. Glad the Badgers pulled it out since it makes the Big Ten look better overall.

Based on what I've seen the Badgers are gonna be a solid upper-tier Big Ten team again this year and should be in/around the top 25 all year.

Top Bottom