Former Iowa Hawkeye, Tyler Smith, dismissed from Tenn

I haven't followed this case closely so I don't know what he and his teammates did, but it is refreshing to hear a high profile student athlete take responsibility for his actions as Tyler Smith did in the article. I may think differently if I heard more of the background of this story but that was the first thing I thought after reading his comments.

Differences in Media Coverage:

Chattanooga Paper
- One factual statement total written
- Two paragraphs taken from a prepared statement from the Coach
- One paragraph taken from a prepared statement from the Coach

How Minneapolis Papers would cover it
- One factual statement at the beginning of the article
- A detailed recap of all the wrongdoing of the player
- Two paragraphs of either the police report or statements by police
- One or two sentences at most from the coach or Maturi - selected by the writer, none of it expressing hope for the player in the future
- Nothing from the player
- Article would end with a recap reminding everyone that this is just the latest incident of misconduct by a student athlete, and list them in chronological order
- A subsequent opinion piece would be comprised by one of the columnsts reinforcing to the public how negative this is. The columnst would also make several jokes or jabs directed at the coach or Maturi

it is refreshing to hear a high profile student athlete take responsibility for his actions as Tyler Smith did in the article. I may think differently if I heard more of the background of this story but that was the first thing I thought after reading his comments.

Exactly why media coverage matters. There wasn't any background information covered in the piece. It was all about how both parties hoped that Tyler could redeem himself at the University in the future.

Top Bottom