Anybody remember this Clem era game? The Fillipino National Team comes to town.

Gopher Bandanna Guy

Irascible Skeptic
Reaction score
Reach back into the distant recesses of your mind, and see if you can recall this game.

Bad vid quality yes, but if you were there, you remember this one. I was trying to sort out some of the details of this game, like who actually ended up getting ejected, and what actually started all the bad blood. I was there in the student section and I seem to recall that Q got ejected, despite probably being the only Gopher who didn't get into the scrap. I also recall that somehow Kevin Clark DIDN'T get ejected, in spite of launching himself into the fight and taking swings. Did the refs get the jersey #s wrong, or am I all wet on this?

Either way, I remember the Fillipino Natl team being incredibly dirty in the very early goings of this game, and a lot of foul-mouth chanting at them because of it. Later in the week, some prof at the 'U' who was at the game got a letter published in the Minnesota Daily decried the student section as 'racist', which was utterly ridiculous. That same day, I wrote up a rebuttal to the Daily that never made it in. I presume they probably got about a hundred of the same basic rant.

Are there any details any of you can remember from this game?

Is this the game that Miles Tarver started some junk? Or am I thinking of another exhibition patsy?

Reach back into the distant recesses of your mind, and see if you can recall this game.

Bad vid quality yes, but if you were there, you remember this one. I was trying to sort out some of the details of this game, like who actually ended up getting ejected, and what actually started all the bad blood. I was there in the student section and I seem to recall that Q got ejected, despite probably being the only Gopher who didn't get into the scrap. I also recall that somehow Kevin Clark DIDN'T get ejected, in spite of launching himself into the fight and taking swings. Did the refs get the jersey #s wrong, or am I all wet on this?

Either way, I remember the Fillipino Natl team being incredibly dirty in the very early goings of this game, and a lot of foul-mouth chanting at them because of it. Later in the week, some prof at the 'U' who was at the game got a letter published in the Minnesota Daily decried the student section as 'racist', which was utterly ridiculous. That same day, I wrote up a rebuttal to the Daily that never made it in. I presume they probably got about a hundred of the same basic rant.

Are there any details any of you can remember from this game?

I wrote about this game several months ago. Started out with the warmest gift-giving opening I have ever witnessed. Things got ugly very fast. Ref's ejected the wrong guys. The Fillipino players were babies big time. Tarver didn't do anything out of the ordinary at all. I guess you can't bump another player in the Fillipino leagues. I remember the Minnesota Daily letter-pure garbage.

Sorry I missed your post on this topic a while back Tikited - glad to hear there are a few who still remember this debacle (although admittedly, it was damned entertaining for an exhibition game) and that travesty of a letter to the Daily.

If you watch the Youtube clip, the opening footage (terrible quality) you'll see ole #42 d-ing up a Filipino player, guarding him with balled fists. Pretty funny. He also seems to take a couple jabs at him. Excellent stuff

Sorry I missed your post on this topic a while back Tikited - glad to hear there are a few who still remember this debacle (although admittedly, it was damned entertaining for an exhibition game) and that travesty of a letter to the Daily.

If you watch the Youtube clip, the opening footage (terrible quality) you'll see ole #42 d-ing up a Filipino player, guarding him with balled fists. Pretty funny. He also seems to take a couple jabs at him. Excellent stuff

I'll have to check-out that youtube video. One of the most bizarre games I have ever been to or seen. I miss Tarver!

Tarver could mix it up, couldn't he?

My favorite memory of him, though, was the year a coupl've years after (1999) when he played quite a bit at center or whatever - once in while he would get in inside shot, I think it was agaisnt tOSU, he missed a bunny inside, and I was yelling at the tv "TARVER!!!!!" and my wife asked why I always said it like a swear word?

Tarver could mix it up, couldn't he?

My favorite memory of him, though, was the year a coupl've years after (1999) when he played quite a bit at center or whatever - once in while he would get in inside shot, I think it was agaisnt tOSU, he missed a bunny inside, and I was yelling at the tv "TARVER!!!!!" and my wife asked why I always said it like a swear word?

Tarver was so ugly, and couldn't make a shot to save his life, even if it was from 2 feet away. I still say he single-handedly cost us the Final Four game against Kentucky because Clem played him way too much in that game.

He used to whistle at my (ex) girlfriend in the Centennial Hall hallway near my room (which was next to Jacobson's).

Just to add a little background from someone who's been to the Philippines, basketball is an obsession there. It's played year round and it pretty much the only sport they care about, with the possible exception of badminton. Filipinos are short by world standards, so this isn't a natural sport for them. Call me racist if you want but that's the way it is. While I was there I read an editorial in the sports section of a Manila newspaper stating that they should give up on basketball as their national passion, with the argument of course being that they don't have the physical attributes to compete in the sport.

Interesting info Go for Gold - I had no idea that the Phillipines was a nation that loved basketball. Physical attributes or no, they shouldn't give up on it if they (athletes and the fans) love it. Are there any semi-pro leagues there?

As long as they don't go picking fights any more fights with the Gophs, they should come back and play us again. A good clean game might get the bad taste out of our mouths from that game.

lol at all the Philipino in the comments section

Interesting info Go for Gold - I had no idea that the Phillipines was a nation that loved basketball. Physical attributes or no, they shouldn't give up on it if they (athletes and the fans) love it. Are there any semi-pro leagues there?QUOTE]

Didn't Ernest Nzigamasabo play a few years of pro ball in the Philippines?

Top Bottom