Which is more surprising?

Art Vandelay

Banned
Reaction score
Tubby's 0-8 record vs. the B10 elite MSU and Purdue

OR

Brewster's 0-8 record in "trinket" games (PSU is not a rivalry)

I'll say Tubby's 0-8 surprises me more since his teams are closer in talent to those teams. You have to think they're bound to beat one of them at some point.

Art, is the glass always completely empty in your world? You have become such an annoying tool.

It would be legit coming from anyone else...

OR

I'll say Tubby's 0-8 surprises me more since his teams are closer in talent to those teams. You have to think they're bound to beat one of them at some point.

More surprising in football because it is easier to beat "mid-level" teams than ELITE teams. The '08 Michigan football team was BAD. Iowa FB in '07 was not very good, and Wisconsin FB has been solid but not to the level that MSU BB and PU BB have been the last 8 games we've faced them.

Alabama going for a fake punt on 4th and 23 on the first possession of the game is far more surprising than either.

Also, McCoy is a giant pussy or something. Barely got hit.

There is nothing wrong with this question. I don't think this site was designed as a Gopher slobber fest.

Big suprise you wouldn't get it, being the "Big" Gopher Fan you are:rolleyes: Art may have a legitmate question but with his long history of never having anything positive to say, the majority of people just simply choose to ignore him, your heading down the same path. I'm sure we'll get the usual comeback of we're not blind homers like the rest of you, blah,blah,blah but at this point you two have really lost any interest from the majority of people.

Big suprise you wouldn't get it, being the "Big" Gopher Fan you are:rolleyes: Art may have a legitmate question but with his long history of never having anything positive to say, the majority of people just simply choose to ignore him, your heading down the same path. I'm sure we'll get the usual comeback of we're not blind homers like the rest of you, blah,blah,blah but at this point you two have really lost any interest from the majority of people.

I am so deeply offended.

You don't have to be a "kool-aid drinking goober homer," but when 99.9% of your posts are completely negative and you never have anything good or constructive to say it just gets old and annoying.

I would argue that the Big 10 elite are actually legit good teams that deserve to be ranked as high as they are whereas the top football program in the B10 tend to get whipped on the national stage. I guess it's an interesting coincidence though.

I would argue that the Big 10 elite are actually legit good teams that deserve to be ranked as high as they are whereas the top football program in the B10 tend to get whipped on the national stage. I guess it's an interesting coincidence though.
Hey, Big Ten went 2-0 in BCS games this year. And 4-3 overall. Everyone has to take a break from the Big Ten bowl bashing for at least a year!

+1

While those goobers you speak of can be annoying, the negative-about-everything shtick has curdled.

To actually answer the question: I'm more disappointed/surprised in Tubby. Brewster was left with a shell of a team (now if he doesn't start winning some of these games in the next couple of years, that's a different story). I guess Tubby was too, but it's a lot easier to rebuild a basketball team than a football team. I expect Tubby to improve this record soon, and it would help if he had a full squad to do so. We were missing our top three big men in the Purdue game.

How do you define elite in the Big 10?

Art, how are you defining which Big 10 programs are elite? I think my definition is different than yours, and I say this with no disrespect toward what Matt Painter has going on at Purdue, or for that matter the talent Thad Matta is bringing in every year at Ohio State.

In my opinion, the two programs in the Big 10 that have proven themselves elite (if I can only choose 2) are Michigan State and Wisconsin, and it's not even close. They are 2 of just 7 programs nationally that have appeared in every NCAA Tournament since 2000. MSU has appeared in 12 straight NCAAs, Wisconsin in 11 straight. MSU has 5 Final Fours and a national title in that span, while Wisconsin has a Final Four, an Elite Eight and 2 Sweet 16s. That spells the most elite in the Big 10, and I didn't even factor in Big 10 regular season and tournament titles (of which there are numerous) for either program.

So by my definition, Tubby is 2-7 vs. the elite programs in the Big 10. Two + years into his tenure. ... not great, but really not all that bad, either, considering where the program was at (the shi**er) when he inherited it.

And yes, I understand that Sparty & Purdue appear to be the elite teams this season. And after this weekend (if they beat Purdue), we'll be able to throw Wisconsin into that mix as well.

Getting back to the gist of your original point, one thing I'm sure we agree on. ... we'll both be disappointed if the Gophers don't knock off either Sparty or Purdue this season. The Gophers are good enough to do it, now they need to do it, just like they did vs. Wisconsin (x 2), and just like they did vs. Illinois (who we hadn't beaten in an eternity) last season.

Both equally disappointing. Neither team has had the talent to beat these teams. No chance for Tubby on the road in any of those games. So, four chances to beat them at home with limited success. Can't say I'm surprised. If we don't win one or two of these games at home this year it will be very disappointing.

art im not even reading your posts anymore since youre trying oh so hard to be a troll.

people
DO
NOT
FEED
THE
TROLL

its step 1

OR

Art, are you a kid who is 4.2" tall and 350 lbs who used to be beaten in school all your life. You may want to check into the Biggest Loser. In my opinion, you are the biggest loser.

Making any kind of a coherent response to Art is just feeding a troll.

I love this entire thread. It's pure entertainment, especially the folks that are saying how disappointed they are in Tubby. Carry on. :D

Should have included the Badgers in that stat. Tubby would look better. Most wins in the conference since 01-02 and far more conference titles in the last ten years then Purdue.

Art, where is the option of "neither" being surprising? We have been the obvious underdog in every "trinket" game in football, and every game against Purdue and MSU in basketball, so it is not at all surprising to be O-fer in any of those games.

Until we have built up the talent and experience on either roster, we will continue to be a long shot to beat really good teams. I'd say the basketball team is closer than the football team to NOT being an underdog against the best teams in conference.

Tubby beat a very good 1996 Purdue team who was a number one seed and Big Ten Champs.

I was at that game in Albuquerque. The Boilers had just survived a last-second scare vs. Western Carolina before losing to Tubby & Georgia in the 2nd round.

We have been the obvious underdog in every "trinket" game in football.

We were favored against Michigan in 2008. Michigan was 2-7 and on a five-game losing streak entering that game. We were 7-2. We were playing at home. That's why - to me - it is clearly more disappointing on the football side. We were a double digit favorite and got blown out 29-6.

We were favored against Michigan in 2008. Michigan was 2-7 and on a five-game losing streak entering that game. We were 7-2. We were playing at home. That's why - to me - it is clearly more disappointing on the football side. We were a double digit favorite and got blown out 29-6.

Favored at the Bank last year against the Badgers as well. Though I still don't understand why.:)

Top Bottom