Picking the Gophers

BigGopherFan

Banned
Reaction score
I noticed that an overwhelming number of people chose the Gophers over Ohio State. I understand the Bucks have lost two of three, but it will be Turner's SECOND game back against Minnesota. He will no doubt change the entire dynamic of that team. Also, OSU just spanked a much-improved Indiana team with Diebler scoring 21 points. This team has weapons, and with Turner, can beat anyone.
Is there something I'm missing here? The Gophers were pummeled by a elite team, and had a number of weaknesses exposed. I'm not asking anyone to justify why they picked Minnesota over Ohio State, I'm just curious as to the rationale.
With all that said, I think it's going to be a close game. I have no idea who is going to win. I think you could easy flip a coin on this one. The Gophers are hard to beat at home, but Ohio State is simply more talented at every position.

Just goes to show -- don't make your picks too early. I did.

I noticed that an overwhelming number of people chose the Gophers over Ohio State. I understand the Bucks have lost two of three, but it will be Turner's SECOND game back against Minnesota. He will no doubt change the entire dynamic of that team. Also, OSU just spanked a much-improved Indiana team with Diebler scoring 21 points. This team has weapons, and with Turner, can beat anyone.
Is there something I'm missing here? The Gophers were pummeled by a elite team, and had a number of weaknesses exposed. I'm not asking anyone to justify why they picked Minnesota over Ohio State, I'm just curious as to the rationale.
With all that said, I think it's going to be a close game. I have no idea who is going to win. I think you could easy flip a coin on this one. The Gophers are hard to beat at home, but Ohio State is simply more talented at every position.

This sounds eerily similar to what you said about, like, say,.......the Butler game? I guess we'll have to check back in on Saturday and see if you were as accurate this time around.

WTF?

I had no idea we were playing Texas or Kansas, or even Purdue at home tomorrow. We are playing Ohio State. Yes, a tournament team, but not an elite team, even with Turner. It's two even teams. Not surprising the majority of people are picking the home team.

Does anyone know if Tubby has e-mailed Thad Matta conceding defeat yet?

It also shocks me that a majority of people on a Gopher fan board would think the Gophers might win. ...
sarcasm.gif

BGF...Please see me in my office to set up an appointment, as I still do rectal surguries on an "as need" basis. :)

The most popular surguries lately have been to look for people's heads. :)

Go Gophers!

Vegas seems in sync with "overwhelming number of Gopher fans"

Vegas has the Gophers as 6 point favorites based on last night's lines (it's since been adjusted down to -4). The 43 folks here who have predicted a Gopher win averaged a 6.5 point spread.

BTW, that pattern has been pretty consistent. Vegas's initial spreads are typically pretty close to the spreads of the average predicted scores.

Rick Mons, problem is that Vegas does have as much insight as BigGopherFan. :confused:

BGF says "...Is there something I'm missing here? ..."

Like I said BigFan, see me in my office, I can help you find it. :)

BGF says "...Is there something I'm missing here? ..."

Like I said BigFan, see me in my office, I can help you find it. :)

Hopefully, he/she didn't miss the Gophers beating the Buckeyes by double-digits this afternoon. :D;)

Well, I still think OSU has that potential to be an elite team - elite as in like a Sweet 16 type team, but obviously they're not there yet. OSU doesn't play elite D at this point, and I'm not sure why they kept leaving Hoffarber open, but he certainly did a great job making them pay. I think OSU will keep getting better as the team re-adjusts to having Turner in the lineup and some guys get their confidence back, but certainly they're not clicking on all cylinders at this point.

Well, I still think OSU has that potential to be an elite team - elite as in like a Sweet 16 type team, but obviously they're not there yet. OSU doesn't play elite D at this point, and I'm not sure why they kept leaving Hoffarber open, but he certainly did a great job making them pay. I think OSU will keep getting better as the team re-adjusts to having Turner in the lineup and some guys get their confidence back, but certainly they're not clicking on all cylinders at this point.

Please don't misunderstand the intent here as to discredit Ohio State. Rather, I happen to think Ohio State is one of the most athletic teams I have seen this year, regardless of whether they are playing the Gophers or not. My point is that it's somewhat confounding that twice this season, a certain Gopher fan has asked why other Gopher fans are actually picking the Gophers to win what appears to be a tough game only to see that yes indeedy, the Gophers did actually win the game in question.

As for Ohio State, if Turner stays healthy, I think they can be very good. But they definitely need him in there for that to happen. Really like Buford as well and was somewhat surprised to see how little Jon Diebler did today. Anyway, it was a nice game for the Gophers coming off a frustrating night in West Lafayette earlier in the week.

I love your consistent optimism of our chances to win games. Please start threads like this before every game so we can go undefeated the rest of the season and win the national championship.

Top Bottom