White/Mbakwe would make huge difference

GopherinPhilly

Reaction score
After watching the Purdue game last night and the three losses earlier this year...I have to say that this Gopher team with the size/athleticism of White and Mbakwe would be a top 10 team and maybe a top 5.

With them we take the pressure off of the RSIII & Iverson, we have dramatically improved offensive and deffensive rebounding and we add two high fliers that can score inside and out to 15 feet. Both bigger and more physical than DJ.

Our depth to run and pressure is measurably higher as well.

We don't count on our PG to score, but those guys did great getting the ball up the floor, we just need some more size and athleticism in our half court sets. More high low and pick and roll. Iverson just isn't going to give us that. RSIII plus White and Mbakwe would.

Sadly, we will not see that happen this year because of the legal troubles and more than likely we will not be a final four team because of this...oh, what might have been...Next year if we can get both these guys on the floor could be very special though.

...need some more size and athleticism in our half court sets. More high low and pick and roll. Iverson just isn't going to give us that. RSIII plus White and Mbakwe would.

White + Mbakwe would help any three players we put aside them on the court, whither its two guards plus one of RSII, Iverson or Carter... I could also see those two playing with another three guard line-up next year. They will change the whole complexion of the team.

Maybe the 5 in, 5 out line-change will dissolve next season? Although we could have the same second squad available to come off the bench - Cobbs, Joseph, Williams, Carter and Iverson.

After a beating like we just got I can't help but look ahead and grasp for some of that excitement I had coming into the season.

We still have a good shot to make it to the dance this year, so the season is far from over after an expected loss to Purdue. I would have much rather seen if White and Mbakwe could make a run with DJ & LW, now we'll have to rely on Carter and Joseph fill their shoes.

Their is no guarantee that RW and TB would've stepped in and been effective. Tubby said it best. You can't miss what you never had. Everyone was quicky to annoint Rodney Williams a lottery pick and clear space for his number in the rafters after he dunked on some dude form Utah Valley State. What has he done since?

You CAN miss what you thought you had. I was thinking we would contend for a Big Ten Title with RW and TB and have a shot at a Final Four. Now I somehow hope we can get one or both of them back to salvage the season, but this is starting to look remote.

Their is no guarantee that RW and TB would've stepped in and been effective. Tubby said it best. You can't miss what you never had. Everyone was quicky to annoint Rodney Williams a lottery pick and clear space for his number in the rafters after he dunked on some dude form Utah Valley State. What has he done since?

Can't coach size...and we need size. Depth is a valued commodity with our press. With those two players out...we are two short. Regardless of who those two would be...we needed those two scholarships to produce.

Rodney Williams may not be tearing it up...but he provides depth and he does score, block and rebound from the wing. RW and TM would have done the same...and potentially a lot more.

No No No

Can't coach size...and we need size. Depth is a valued commodity with our press. With those two players out...we are two short. Regardless of who those two would be...we needed those two scholarships to produce.

Rodney Williams may not be tearing it up...but he provides depth and he does score, block and rebound from the wing. RW and TM would have done the same...and potentially a lot more.

IMHO, what we needed last night was someone who could put the little round ball in the little round hole !!!

I don't want to come off as a jerk, but haven't we kind of exhausted this topic enough already? Are we going to bring this up after every loss the rest of the way? Yes, we all know Mbakwe and White would help. How much? We don't and may never know. This is the team we have and Purdue has a better team than what we have. That's all that really needs to be said.

I don't want to come off as a jerk, but haven't we kind of exhausted this topic enough already? Are we going to bring this up after every loss the rest of the way? Yes, we all know Mbakwe and White would help. How much? We don't and may never know. This is the team we have and Purdue has a better team than what we have. That's all that really needs to be said.

Nobody talks about how Purdue is also missing 2 players and one of them has actually started a college game.

Agreed. Williams will be just fine, he does some nice things on the court. You could look at his play from the first couple games and say he overachieved, I'd rather say Rodney showed us a preview of what we can expect in the future.

Nicely done, Captain...

Probably because this is a Gopher board. Just a hunch though.

Good answer. Apparently the Boiler faithful are feeling underappreciated?

I left last night's game thinking that Purdue has a REALLY REALLY good team, perhaps even better than I originally thought, but let's not forget that they shot the frickin' lights out in their own gym. Did somebody say like 70% in the second half?

Yes, if the Boilers shoot over 50% every game and over 70% in the second half, they will be a #1 seed.

Hahaha wow. Yes, people on a MN board should be talking about Purdue missing two players. I'm sure the absence of our two players has a larger effect than the absence of your two players. You guys seem to still be doing just fine.

Nobody talks about how Purdue is also missing 2 players and one of them has actually started a college game.

Now you're just exaggerating to try to prove your point. Who is everyone who you claim was doing that? Can you name anyone? Nobody ever said anything about him being a savior this year, and he's projected as a lottery pick next year because of his potential. Nothing has changed there.

Top Bottom