Riley Dearing is Minnesota's top freshman, and his recruitment already reflects that

Geez, he looks like he's 20 years old already!

I remember hearing about this kid coming up through the Hopkins program, even back as a 2nd and 3rd grader when he was playing up a few grades. Much has been written about him, he sure has a lot to live up to.

I just hope the attention these young kids are getting doesn't screw them up in the end. Sounds like has a pretty good head on his shoulders anyway.

"GH: Many consider you the best freshman in the state of Minnesota. How does that make you feel?

Dearing: It makes me want to work harder and play the best I can; that is what I can control. More than anything I want to make my teammates better."

"Hopefully we can both play at the U one day."

I Like this kid already.

Nice interview for the young man and he does seem to have his head on right. That being said, I'm not sure I'd give him the moniker of Minnesota's top freshman. I've watched Tartan play 3 times this year and from what I've seen Darrion (sp) Strong is the top freshman. I do wonder if Strong knows there are 4 other kids on the floor at times but I've not seen a quicker kid who can flat out finish like Strong. His defense is a work in progress but beyond that he's got a nice skill set.

He transferred up to the city from Chicago this past summer. Very nice player as well. Tartan has a solid team but has improved since Strong has gotten more time. Anyway they are just freshman but .....

This kid has a crazy work ethic. He could be something very special.

This amazes me. This kids in my grade and I cant compare anywhere near this. I hope he goes to the U!

Nice interview for the young man and he does seem to have his head on right. That being said, I'm not sure I'd give him the moniker of Minnesota's top freshman. I've watched Tartan play 3 times this year and from what I've seen Darrion (sp) Strong is the top freshman. I do wonder if Strong knows there are 4 other kids on the floor at times but I've not seen a quicker kid who can flat out finish like Strong. His defense is a work in progress but beyond that he's got a nice skill set.

He transferred up to the city from Chicago this past summer. Very nice player as well. Tartan has a solid team but has improved since Strong has gotten more time. Anyway they are just freshman but .....

Thanks for the comment - I probably should of said - regarded as top Fresh, or something to that effect...but the title line is too short! Have you gotten to see Dearing play as well - I'd like to know how he compares to Strong, as I haven't seen Tartan yet...I will put that on my to-do list also for this winter. Thanks for the insight!

GopherLady, definitely put Strong on your list of kids to see too. Strong has the chance to be a dynamite point guard. He's quick and has a good shooting stroke. He sees significant minutes in the deep Tartan rotation. He's a better open court player than a halfcourt player right now, but definitely an impact kid. Dearring may have a higher upside, but Strong has a similar impact for his team right now. But if you go see any youngster this season, make sure you see Tyus Jones.

Thanks for the comment - I probably should of said - regarded as top Fresh, or something to that effect...but the title line is too short! Have you gotten to see Dearing play as well - I'd like to know how he compares to Strong, as I haven't seen Tartan yet...I will put that on my to-do list also for this winter. Thanks for the insight!

Gopherlady, I understand!

I've seen Dearing play twice this year. I think Riley has a nice skill set and could be a very nice player. I will say, I've never seen so much "interest" around a kid and worry a bit about the hype machine behind him.

He won't get the time that Strong gets because of the lineup Hopkins plays but certainly has the desire. Quite frankly there is a lot of young talent in the state this year. Interesting to see how they boys develop.

I saw Tyus Jones before I realized he was an eighth grader. Amazing player but I wonder if he will grow at all and play a different position.

I'm sure he will grow, but given his basketball IQ, court vision, and overall skill set and style of play I don't see any possible way he changes positions unless he grows to be 7 feet tall.

I'm sure he will grow, but given his basketball IQ, court vision, and overall skill set and style of play I don't see any possible way he changes positions unless he grows to be 7 feet tall.

Exactly, Jones is a natural PG. He may end up technically starting at a different position, but he'll still be playing point as far as handling the ball and creating shots for others.

GopherLady, definitely put Strong on your list of kids to see too. Strong has the chance to be a dynamite point guard. He's quick and has a good shooting stroke. He sees significant minutes in the deep Tartan rotation. He's a better open court player than a halfcourt player right now, but definitely an impact kid. Dearring may have a higher upside, but Strong has a similar impact for his team right now. But if you go see any youngster this season, make sure you see Tyus Jones.

Thanks for the analysis. That is certainly the advantage of not playing for Hopkins, playing time. How big is Strong?

And yes, Tyus Jones is actually #1 on my list...I just need to find nights that work for me to go to these games!

Gopherlady, I understand!

I've seen Dearing play twice this year. I think Riley has a nice skill set and could be a very nice player. I will say, I've never seen so much "interest" around a kid and worry a bit about the hype machine behind him.

He won't get the time that Strong gets because of the lineup Hopkins plays but certainly has the desire. Quite frankly there is a lot of young talent in the state this year. Interesting to see how they boys develop.

Do you think that's a family thing, or connections?

Nope, quite honestly, I never really followed recruiting before I started writing for GH 2+ years ago.
I was replying to Duthasmon Smith, Cash was supposedly the next El-Amin after he scored 100 or something in a 6th grade game. Never panned out.

Thanks for the analysis. That is certainly the advantage of not playing for Hopkins, playing time. How big is Strong?

Do you think that's a family thing, or connections?

Strong is about 6"1 165 or so. Physically, he's a strong kid compared to Dearing who's more slight in his build. His father is probably 6"3. It will be interesting to watch develop these two battle out for the title of "top freshman" and to see who is coming down the pike.

Family thing, connections? I don't know but I get leary when you start to "hear" about kids in 5th grade etc. I think the Star Tribune piece was a bit over the top. I will say though Mn is light years behind in this sort of "hype". There are so many websites which will rank kids as young as 5th grade etc if someone is willing to pay.

Tubby and his staff seem to be reaching out to younger kids much more early than in the past which is fantastic. Hopefully, that'll continue.

I was replying to Duthasmon Smith, Cash was supposedly the next El-Amin after he scored 100 or something in a 6th grade game. Never panned out.

Sorry - that was clear you quoting him, I hadn't heard about him either though.

Strong is about 6"1 165 or so. Physically, he's a strong kid compared to Dearing who's more slight in his build. His father is probably 6"3. It will be interesting to watch develop these two battle out for the title of "top freshman" and to see who is coming down the pike.

Family thing, connections? I don't know but I get leary when you start to "hear" about kids in 5th grade etc. I think the Star Tribune piece was a bit over the top. I will say though Mn is light years behind in this sort of "hype". There are so many websites which will rank kids as young as 5th grade etc if someone is willing to pay.

Tubby and his staff seem to be reaching out to younger kids much more early than in the past which is fantastic. Hopefully, that'll continue.

Thanks! Keep on posting, you provide a lot of interesting information!

I guess I didn't hear that much about Cash until he was older. Safe to say Dearing has more potential as a 6'3 guard, 9th grader than Cash did as a 5'10 pg.

There seems to be more talent in the 2012-2014 classes in terms of kids making big impacts at big schools than I can remember in sometime. The Strong kid is actually the leading scorer of state ranked Tartan and other young players (Jones of Apple Valley, Dearing of Hopkins, Duxbury of Stillwater, Hooker of Park Center) are making the same type of impact for quality teams. If there was any doubt that Tyus Jones was for real then he put those doubts to rest by winning the battle over one of the state's top Sr. pg's in Vinard Burch of Eastview by putting up 21 pts and 6 assists in an easy victory for the Eagles

Showin,

If memory serves me correctly Cash was featured on the news at a ridiculously young age, like 5th or 6th grade, then scored the 100 much later after his star had faded.

Prospect wise the 2013 class has a lot of intresting prospects but I say the top 5 are:
1. Shanks- Eastview- 7-footer
2. Derring-Hopkins
3. Z. Robertson-Wayzata
4. Strong- Tartan
5. Hooker- Park Center

nm, went to their team photo site and he's easily a half a head taller than anyone else on the team.

Does anyone know if Riley Dearing is any relation to a Darren Dearing that played in the early 90's for DeLasalle? He was a very good player and the Islanders went to state a few years with him and a kid named Adrian Patterson who later went to Washburn, if I remember right.

Does anyone know if Riley Dearing is any relation to a Darren Dearing that played in the early 90's for DeLasalle? He was a very good player and the Islanders went to state a few years with him and a kid named Adrian Patterson who later went to Washburn, if I remember right.

Never mind, I got my answer. It is his dad

Top Bottom