GopherHole loses a dear friend; Gopher basketball loses a passionate and die-hard fan

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Without a doubt, the most rewarding aspect of my involvement in GopherHole are the friendships I’ve made over the years. I am fortunate to have met some amazing people as a result of GopherHole – close friends and friends I know I’ll have for the rest of my life. Unfortunately, GopherHole lost one of these dear friends last month, and with it, the Gopher basketball program lost one of its most passionate and die-hard fans.

Many of you will recognize the name “Old Fans” (as they used to post as a few years back) and now currently post as “Two Fans” – and as you can tell from the name, “Two Fans” were two die-hard Gopher fans, one lovely married couple, proud parents and grandparents and flat out Gopher basketball lovers. In December, we lost the husband of Old/Two Fans to a long-term health battle.

To understand the deep passion for Gopher basketball, I have to share a couple stories of how I met and got to know Two Fans. When I was living in San Diego, Two Fans were planning a vacation out there and we e-mailed offline to arrange a time to meet for the first time. While most visitors to San Diego plan trips to go to Sea World or the San Diego Zoo, Two Fans planned to meet me at an AAU summer tournament in a hot gym without air conditioning so they could watch (“scout”) future Gopher Rico Tucker.

Over the next year, Two Fans planned 2 more vacations to San Diego and they planned their schedule around Rico’s HS hoops schedule. One such trip happened smack dab during the worst of the worst in Southern California wildfires and their hotel was less than a half mile away from the fires…despite the hotel urging they don’t travel on the highway, Two Fans braved the wildfires, and met IAM4Goldy and me at a sports bar just in time to see the Gophers beat Northwestern.

It wasn’t just vacations timed around Gopher recruits’ basketball schedules, it was also every summer night spent at Howard Pulley (where Gopher players routinely went out of their way to hug and high five Two Fans), it was countless road trips both near and far to watch the Gophers on the road and hours and hours watching the team practice during the Monson years. Always positive, always with a sense of humor and always decked out in maroon and gold – if a Gopher was playing, Two Fans was likely there supporting them.

I know I am not the only GopherHoler that calls Two Fans friends, and I am certainly not the only one that will miss our friend. But no surprise to any of us, Mrs. Two Fans carries on the joint love for the Gophers, remains as committed as ever to their shared passion and will now carry the voice of both of them in Williams Arena.

Mr. Two Fans – your friendship, humor, constant smile and unmatched optimism and passion for the Gophers will forever be missed.

Go Gophers!!

Very sad to hear the news earlier and will really miss him, as Bleed said, they are two of the most passionate fans I've ever been around and so much fun to talk to and kid around with.

Going to Pulley Summer League games will not be the same without him sitting in his lawnchair at half court but I'm sure he's got the best seat in the house now.

As Bleed said, the best part about GH for me has been the friends I've made and the interesting people you get to meet and even though I only got to know Manley in the later years of his life, his loss definately hit hard and he will be missed.

I will dearly miss the comfort of seeing "Mr. Two Fans" in his familiar perch at HP and also walking up to my seats in the Barn. The thing that always stood out to me with these two great Gopher supporters is the endless positivity. They LOVE Gopher basketball, and while they could certainly see the struggles at times, there was always a greater recognition and appreciation for the positives in every situation. Always smiles, as they truly enjoyed the process as much as the results. It came across in their posts on GH, but moreso in their presence at Gopher functions. The players know it, as well, as they were always welcoming Mr. and Mrs. and sharing a hug and a warm smile. Johnny...I appreciate your sentiment on Mr's upgraded seats. Truly he will always be supporting this team and looking down with a smile. And Mrs...I look forward to seeing you again sometime soon to share a smile and hug. You are a treasure to me and to the Golden Gopher program. My sincerest sympathies on your loss, as well as ours.

True fans are what htis program needs

Very sad to say the least. Our best wishes to the family.

Just like was stated by the boys - I have made some of my best friends on this board, partially, because you all are the only ones that understand this Gopher obsession - but more so, the majority of people on this board are good people...TwoFans is no exception to this rule, they are great people.

I wasn't as lucky as Bleed and others to know TwoFans for as many years, but I was fortunate to meet them 2 years ago on the Gopher's Florida State trip. They are the kind of people that others gravitate to, as they are so positive, friendly, and kind. Not only did they help me gather information for my little pieces for GH, but of course, they were the 1st ones to compliment me and read the articles. They followed everything, and everyone, and could not be more encouraging to the players, family and programs.

Since then, being a Howard Pulley junkie myself, I have been able to spend many summer nights with them at the Salvation Army in St. Paul, laughing, and joking with them, while scouting out all the new and old players. I would only make it once or twice a week - but aside from the one trip they take in the summer, they were there every night. They were adored by everyone, including me.

As for Mr. Twofans, he always made me laugh. Just a kind man with a huge heart and we shared a love of the Gophers and basketball. I would always ask him to bring an extra chair so I could have VIP seating like him...and he would laugh.

Both Mr. and Mrs. TwoFans are not only the greatest Gopher fans I have ever known, they are also remarkable people I respect and aspire to be like someday.

Our condolences

to Mrs Two Fans and family.

i haven't gotten to meet either of you, but i hope to meet the mrs - sounds like you lost a great man, my condolences.

My deepest condolences, it sounds like everyone associated with Gopher Basketball lost a great fan.

As others have stated... my deepest condolences to Mrs TwoFans and family. The Gopher Hole lost a key member and the Gopher family lost one of its best fans.

Two Fans (TRUE FANS)

We have had the good fortune to be good friends and have enjoyed many hours together both at our volunteer jobs and dinner before Gopher basketball games as well as trips to Florida State and Penn State and the Big Ten Tournament. We will greatly miss Manley's warm smile and great sense of humor,besides being a wonderful human being. Ronnie ,you have our love and support and we look forward to spending time with you at Gopher games and other times as well.Love to you and your family and two beautiful grandsons!

For years my season tickets were up in nosebleed territory, and I would always ignore those seats and sit behind Manley and his wife. But it wasn't just that they were better seats. So many of my neighbors in the nosebleed seats were such pessimistic grouches that they destroyed half the fun of going. But sitting in the lower section I was able to enjoy the intellect, good humor, and optimism of the two of them. I have never ever enjoyed a game as much as I enjoyed it sitting behind them.

In fact, while I'm sure it's long since cycled off, I was on the IA bball board a number of years ago, reading a ridiculous thread about which of them was the best fan. So I posted a entry describing Manley and his wife, and noted that they were the best fans I'd ever seen, and I hoped that someday I could be as good as them. Except for a few "thanks for the great post" responses, nobody opened their mouth again.

I've been on this board and it's predecessors for about 15 years now. Not many are left from those days, but I still remember Old Fan as a voice of reason even way back then.

But until I saw Bleed's post, and checked in with him, I never put two and two together. I had no idea I was sitting behind and enjoying the company of the same people whose posts I appreciated so much.

My heart goes out to Manley's wife. While she is obviously a very strong and capable woman, one could see in the subtleties of their body language and the looks in their eyes how deeply they still loved each other after all the years together, and I know the sense of loss must be immense. It's true they were great fans, but even more importantly, IMO, is that they were a great couple and great role models for what it means to make a good life together.

Manley, may the peace that exceeds all others be with you now.

Like others here, I also got to know Two Fans several years ago through the Gopher Hole and always enjoyed their company at Howard Pulley League games and elsewhere. Manley was truly a great man and as loyal of a Gopher fan as I've ever met. He will be missed tremendously. Ronnie, my deepest sympathies go out to you and your family. I hope you can find some comfort knowing that Manley's spirit touched so many people in such a positive way.

Top Bottom