TECHNICAL ????

Section201

Reaction score
Anyone figure out what that technical was about? Spencer said it was on Damien but Westy was the one who was jawing with Robbie.

I didnt see anything physical that Westy did to get a technical so who said what ?

Anyone know?

Damian doesn't have the linguistic skills to earn a T. Mumbling is not illegal.

They didn't show it, but it had to have been Johnson jawing after Westbrook and Hummel got together.

From the replay, it looked like Hummel was the one that went after Westbrook. If anything, it should have been a double technical on Hummel and either Westbrook or Johnson.

From the replay, it looked like Hummel was the one that went after Westbrook. If anything, it should have been a double technical on Hummel and either Westbrook or Johnson.
Agreed that Robbie looked more upset than Westbrook. But who knows what was said after that.

I think it was only going to be some jawing nothing more than that. My guess is that Johnson said something the refs really didn't like. One wrong word can get you a T.

Damien ?

I think it was only going to be some jawing nothing more than that. My guess is that Johnson said something the refs really didn't like. One wrong word can get you a T.

I wonder what word Damien muttered? Maybe it was some cajun gibberish the ref assumed was a bad word.

:)

I actually wished Tubby would have "taken" a technical to send a message at one point late in the first or in the second half.

Go Gophers!!

My son and I visited several times during the game via cell phone, and we both acknowledged that Matt Painter is becoming a ref worker, successfully, as per Bo Ryan and Gene Keady.

It is time for Tubby to let refs know that he has had enough of that $hit.

I actually wished Tubby would have "taken" a technical to send a message at one point late in the first or in the second half.

Go Gophers!!

I agree. Not to question Tubby too much, but he needs to work the refs more, given how much guys like Jon Voight, Matta and Painter do it in the Big 10. At Kentucky he didn't have to, he got all of the calls automatically because of the name on the jersey. A nice Clem-style jacket removal fit now and then would help.

Go Gophers!!

I'll agree to that as well. As much as I like Tubby and how he displays class, it really felt like the team needed someone to stand up for them at some point tonight. I loved how Westbrook held onto that ball. That game was out of control, and Tubby didn't seem to do anything with the officials.

That's one thing I always loved about Clem. He didn't take crap from the BT refs. When he tore the coat off, he meant business. I didn't care for the academic disgrace so much, however.

It was on DJ, and I don't think he said anything to the ref, but reaffirmed some unpleasant thoughts about the individual ref to Westbrook, and the ref overheard his comment.

That would be my guess based on how it went down (DJ never really looked/talked to the ref, but was talking to Westbrook instead).

I also love that somehow LW got a foul on that play as well....two guys holding onto the ball and we get a foul and a technical. One of many bizarre calls tonight.:cool:

Agreed that Robbie looked more upset than Westbrook. But who knows what was said after that.

Slow-mo replay showed Westbrook holding onto the ball strongly, with Hummel crazily trying to rip it away. Three calls should have been possible: (1) jump ball, (2) travelling on Hummel, (3) foul on Hummel. Of course, as was typical throughout the game, a foul was called on the Gophers (and a technical on top of that). Pathetic.

While I wish Tubby would've challenged them more, on the flip side I'm so profoundly annoyed at all the whining and b****ing Bo Ryan and others do when the most mundane of calls goes against them, so I guess I'm fine if Tubby keeps his yap shut and earns respect that way.

Slow-mo replay showed Westbrook holding onto the ball strongly, with Hummel crazily trying to rip it away. Three calls should have been possible: (1) jump ball, (2) travelling on Hummel, (3) foul on Hummel. Of course, as was typical throughout the game, a foul was called on the Gophers (and a technical on top of that). Pathetic.
Uh, Robbie clearly had more of the ball. But I never said it shouldn't have been a tie-up...I would've liked to see another angle.

Uh, Robbie clearly had more of the ball. But I never said it shouldn't have been a tie-up...I would've liked to see another angle.

Admittedly, I didn't see the play in question, but it sounds like it should have been a tie-up; nothing more, nothing less. In situations like a possible tie-up, it's often tough to call a foul on one side and add a technical to boot. After all, situations like that are often like a tug-of-war and that's when tempers tend to flare. Then again, this is all guesswork for me since I didn't see the play. So if I'm completely off on this assessment, let me know and I won't comment further. :eek:

SGL

It was on DJ, and I don't think he said anything to the ref, but reaffirmed some unpleasant thoughts about the individual ref to Westbrook, and the ref overheard his comment.

That would be my guess based on how it went down (DJ never really looked/talked to the ref, but was talking to Westbrook instead).

thanks for the response. I was watching espn and listening to wcco and it just wasnt clear wtf happened. I did like Westbrook's attitude though.

:)

Dr. Don,

>>...Matt Painter is becoming a ref worker...<<

Painter is a very fine coach who makes use of every legal edge he can find. Keeping the refs honest is part of his job.

I also love that somehow LW got a foul on that play as well....two guys holding onto the ball and we get a foul and a technical. One of many bizarre calls tonight.:cool:

That was the most bizarre part of all of it - that play was the definition of a jump ball.

Top Bottom