Poor Shooting lost game not refs

GopherFish

Reaction score
We barely shot .300 and they shot .535. Thats a horrendous difference. I didn't think the officiating was that bad considering the home team usually gets a few more calls.

Iverson and Joseph totally stunk. Nolen and Hoffarber shot poorly too. Carter and Williams did surprisingly well. DJ played well too, but you expect that from him.

I'm not sure you were watching the same game. Yes, the shooting was bad, but the officiating was horribly inconsistent. Also, the only player on our team who had anything above an average game was Carter. Really disappointed in the play from Nolen and Johnson. Nolen time after time drove the lane and was forced to take awful shots and Johnson didn't even show up, or score until the last 7-8 minutes.

I agree with the thread title. If we had lost by single digits, I might consider pointing the finger at the horribly inconsistent reffing some.

But you can never expect to beat a ranked opponent on the road when you miss so many free throws, lay-ups, and even wide open threes.

I agree with the thread title. If we had lost by single digits, I might consider pointing the finger at the horribly inconsistent reffing some.

But you can never expect to beat a ranked opponent on the road when you miss so many free throws, lay-ups, and even wide open threes.

You must ask yourself - if the bad calls had not been made such that the Gophers were ahead or in a close game instead of pressing to make 3s to catch up quickly, that they could have made more? I hate the excuse that well, even though the refs destroyed us in the first half and helped to a 7 point deficit instead of what should have been a lead, that just because the team shot poorly in the second half while down by a bunch exemplifies the better team.

Now, really, you're talking situation basketball. First, if Blake doesn't get a phantom call for his 2nd foul of the game, how would the Gophers have done - better or worse? What about Joseph getting a phantom 2nd foul, or Westbrook? What if Westbrook gets the block instead of the charge? What if DJ accepts a charge instead getting called for the exact same block on the other end? What if Kramer doesn't get 4 free free throws when he deserved a foul and a missed layup? I mean really, the situation is always different - maybe the Gophers would have lost by even more - who knows? What I do know, is that the first half was a reffing disaster (not much better in the second half either), and because of it, we will never know what would have happened given a better halftime situation.

Your argument is akin to the argument of the Miami football fans in the 2002 NC football game. Sure, that PI call was very questionable at best that allowed OSU to score the winning TD; however, had the refs not made a horrible call (pre-instant replay) on a 1st down catch by OSU on their second-to-last drive, OSU would have run the gameclock out and won the game without needing that call - of course, the first bad call in Miami's favor was completely forgotten about by 99% of viewers by the end of that game, because it wasn't done at the end of the game...but entirely changed the game situation, which allowed Miami a chance they didn't actually deserve...

My point is, the second half of tonight's game was immaterial. The game was lost by *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#ty reffing in the first half and the Gophers really didn't have a chance in the second half - the refs were not going to allow that game to get close and ruin the Boilers perfect season on their home court. No way, no how.

more than missed shots, it was the poor poor poor shot selection. Too many missed layups, forced shots, and three point attempts. Hopefully the Gophers will learn from playing a good team like this that they have to be more fundamental in order to get the shots they want.

Team shooting is and has been far too inconsistent. Throw out the missed shots taken while being well defended and just look at open misses. They're no different than bad penalties in hockey or unforced turnovers in football IMO.

"When you make shots you look pretty good, when you miss shots you look pretty bad."

The Gophers not making a FG for 7 minutes to end the half is what lost it. Couldnt finish at the hoop and shot free throws like Shaq.. Thats the facts

We would have lost either way but that reffing was awful. So many weak fouls it was unbelievable. That call against Hoffarber when he's just running back and they get an and 1? Wow.

Top Bottom