Homework assignment for Selection Sunday

Art Vandelay

Banned
Reaction score
Hodger - playing at #4 Purdon't tomorrow night is a tall task. When was the last time a Gopher team beat a top 5 (or top 10) team in a true road game? Not a trivia question, I'm just curious and lazy...

Surprised

I have to admit being surprised that someone has not come up with a more recent example !

If you're talking TRUE road game, then the Louisville one last year doesn't count, since it was on a neutral court.

We beat then-#9 Iowa in 1981, 60-48, in Iowa City.

Top 10, it looks like the Gophers won @ #9 Iowa 60-48 on January 24, 1981. I think the Marquette one is right about beating a top 5 team though.

A lot of close calls in the 90s it looked like though.

Great post, great question. Looks like Marquette on 12/21/76 was No. 6 at the time. Going through year by year. Very curious myself.

Some close affairs ... Feb. 19 1987, the Gophers lost at then No. 2 Indiana 72-70.
Jan. 13, 1990, lost 87-83 at then No. 3 Michigan.
Feb. 23, 1991 lost 63-62 at then No. 2 Ohio St.

Doogie... 5 or 6 ??

Great post, great question. Looks like Marquette on 12/21/76 was No. 6 at the time. Going through year by year. Very curious myself.

According to the las vegas sun link I provided, Marquette was #5 in the Coaches UPI poll.

"Alabama remained No. 4, but Cincinnati moved into the No. 5 position, replacing Marquette, which lost its second game, 66-59 to Minnesota, and dropped to No. 14."

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/1976/dec/30/rebels-jump-two-spots-college-cage-ratings/

Section201 -- According to the Gophers media guide, they were No. 6 ... but were there two polls then, like there are now?

doogie

yes, I think the AP was the other major one at the time. Good enough for me.

Thanks.

:)

Top Bottom