Just A Rumor - Nolen Academics

Blizzard

Reaction score
Ok .. so I was lurking around the Wisconsin Scout board and they're saying the rumor around the Twin Cities is that Al will be academically ineligible.

I haven't seen anything allude or otherwise to this.

Is there smoke somewhere?

The day we start listening to the "people" on the Wisconsin Scout Board is the day we are better off dead. I would rather listen to Rush Limbaugh than listen to rumors from those things.

If it were a confirmed story we'd have heard about it already.

That being said, since it's unconfirmed and there are these little things called privacy laws prohibiting and preventing people from getting ahold of this information, I don't put any stock into anything some Wisconsin board is saying. We could start spreading rumors of Leuer or Hughes being ineligible and it'd have about the same clout.

Tubby just commented in an article that everyone seems to be in good shape other than a few incompletes. I assume with a rigorous travel schedule they give the guys a little latitude. I would also assume that they have people watching their grades like a hawk for any indication of problems. Needless to say the loss of Al Nolen would kill this team. I'm sure Bucky is just throwing out a few red flags to get everyone's undies in a bunch. I don't believe there is any truth to this, but have no definitive inside info.

I read recently, it was either the STrib or PPress, a quote from Tubby seeming to indicate that everyone's academics were in line. The quote said there were still a few incomplete grades but that it looked like every player was in line to retain eligibility.

I would take that info over something on the Becky board.

I normally dismiss rumors as well, but since the Badger Nation board broke the White arresst story, you never know what is accurate.

The day we start listening to the "people" on the Wisconsin Scout Board is the day we are better off dead. I would rather listen to Rush Limbaugh than listen to rumors from those things.

People over at GI have been brought up the same rumors. independent of the Badger board.

The OP of that thread said he would be ineligible by 1/20/10. What's the significance of that date? Haven't grades come out for the first semester already? Could there be some sort of extension for students to get class work in order?

Just a guess, but the January 20th date probably has something to do with the start of the 2nd semester at the university? They usually start the 2nd semester right around MLK. Technically, in basketball I suppose they could play a player that is going to be ineligible for the next semester up until the start of the spring semester. So if there's any truth to this rumor, if we don't know before then, we'd probably know the answer for sure when we host Sparty on Jan. 23rd. That's the game when the student section should be back in full force (back in school) and when we should make sure all healthy rostered players are present and accounted for.

Not sure if there is an extension for work, but I do know that's when classes start back up again for Spring Semester.

While I do agree with you about the Badgers board, Rush Limbaugh has more listeners than any other national radio program. Guess he might not be the best example of things people don't listen to.

While I do agree with you about the Badgers board, Rush Limbaugh has more listeners than any other national radio program. Guess he might not be the best example of things people don't listen to.

I think he was playing on the full of s*** angle rather than the "nobody listens to this" angle.

I don't think "thestl" was saying people don't listen to Rush...I think he was just saying that what comes out of Rush's program is of as little importance as what comes out of the Wisky board (his opinion)(and mine)...I'm just trying to clarify

You're right, I based that second part of my post purely on personal preference haha.

Isn't this rumor just a bit forward looking? Even if there was an academic issue he would have two weeks to clear it up. I'd hazard to guess that the majority of D-I players have a bit of catch up to do after the first semester.

Isn't it also a bit strange that no one else has heard anything of this sweeping rumor?

This is ridiculous. I don't believe a word of it.

Nice to see the Leuer and Taylor families still spreading any bit of gossip about MN to anyone from wisconsin who will listen.

Tubby just commented in an article that everyone seems to be in good shape other than a few incompletes. I assume with a rigorous travel schedule they give the guys a little latitude. I would also assume that they have people watching their grades like a hawk for any indication of problems. Needless to say the loss of Al Nolen would kill this team. I'm sure Bucky is just throwing out a few red flags to get everyone's undies in a bunch. I don't believe there is any truth to this, but have no definitive inside info.

Rigorous travel schedule? The game at Iowa was their first road game in a month. They've been home since December 2nd and they did most of their travel during Thanksgiving break when there were no classes.

Nice

Nice to see the Leuer and Taylor families still spreading any bit of gossip about MN to anyone from wisconsin who will listen.

See if you can't spot the irony in this statement. Maybe it will even make you feel a little dirty that we're now apparently anonymously ripping opposing player family members on the Gopher Hole.

I can't believe you're sticking up these turncoat families.

That is good stuff. How would they possibly know if Nolen had academic trouble and if they did hear something, how would you know they told the poster on the Badger Scout board about it?

You forgot the Bruesewitz and Berggren families also. I am sure they are in on the conspiracy as well.

That is good stuff. How would they possibly know if Nolen had academic trouble and if they did hear something, how would you know they told the poster on the Badger Scout board about it?

You forgot the Bruesewitz and Berggren families also. I am sure they are in on the conspiracy as well.

Well, the fact that Johnny has a whole lot of credibility on this board (and for good reason may I add) leads me to wonder about this. Not saying I'm siding with Johnny, just saying that he is very level-headed and most of the info he posts on here has proven to be true. And for that reason, I'm curious as to why he states this.

I couldn't resist the temptation and read the thread. Repeated posters called into question Tubby's ethics (paging Myles...) and claimed that it would get swept under the rug. Lots of insight there.

Translation: if it goes away and Nolen isn't suspended, they'll all claim that Tubby cheated and the U is a joke of a school. Our athletes aren't dedicated students like theirs!

The Wisconsin Athletic Department - flooding the professional ranks with Agricultural Journalists since 1990.

Oh, and the OP heard it at the gym from a sportswriter. That's a lead pipe lock of a source.

Not saying this rumor has any legs...

...but do we all recall our response to the guy who posted before the start of classes that there was a serious issue with Trevor Mbakwe and that he might never play for the Gophers? We practically tarred and feathered the guy.

My guess--and it's only a guess--is that Nolen has some make-up work to complete before the start of classes. Will he get it done satisfactorily? Time will tell. My guess is he will.

Still, let's just see what happens Jan. 20 without attacking the source of a rumor we dare not think has legs and wishing ourselves out of what would indeed be a devastating development.

What's to speculate? Tubby came out and said there is some incomplete work that needs to be finished up and he expected no issues.

When asked about this today, Myron said in his chat that Tubby expects everyone to be eligible. Myron also said he knew more on the topic but couldn't make the information public.

>>I can't believe you're sticking up these turncoat families.<<

He has as much right to do so as you have to smear Rush Limbaugh.

LOL

>>I can't believe you're sticking up these turncoat families.<<

He has as much right to do so as you have to smear Rush Limbaugh.

How exactly could anyone "smear" Rush ?

I am so :confused: I need an OxyContin. Can someone have their housekeeper run out and get me some?

Top Bottom