Bryant Allen is at practice today

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per a tweet from Myron.

Now that football is over, it will be interesting to see if he is a regular part of the hoops team.

Go Gophers!!

We started a thread at the same time. Lol.

I wonder if he'll make the trip to Purdue and if he does will get any time?

we sure could use the extra body, if not in games right away, he will be an asset in practice.

we sure could use the extra body, if not in games right away, he will be an asset in practice.

Bingo!!! If anyone truly believes that he will play right away is mistaken, IMO. What I see is a gradual progression of help from Bryant in practice, and eventually get some PT, when the time is right. It is Tubby's call.

It would take a week or two to get in condition to compete in a game. He's not going to play the first week even if he shows incredible ability.

I suppose this needs to be asked now: Is he actually practicing or just watching?

Marcus just tweeted this:

"Tubby said FR Bryant Allen, a WR on the fb team, helped add another body at practice today. But he didn't know about Allen joining the team."

Go Gophers!!

Hopefully there's no need for Allen this season. That would mean Nolen, Cobbs and Joseph are all healthy, available and playing well. But it's good to have another body in case anything goes haywire.

Actually Bryant could be a very valuable addition this year. He adds an extra body, 5 extra fouls and quickness so that we can press every game! We need to come out at Purdue the same way we did against Iowa and press from start to finish if we want to be competitive tomorrow!

Actually Bryant could be a very valuable addition this year. He adds an extra body, 5 extra fouls and quickness so that we can press every game! We need to come out at Purdue the same way we did against Iowa and press from start to finish if we want to be competitive tomorrow!

We'll get destroyed if we press Purdue the entire game. There is no comparison between Purdue's guards and Iowa's guards in their ability to handle the ball and break the press.

I agree, we can't press a backcourt like Purdue's the whole game. It will be more of a change of pace thing with the second unit I would imagine. If we are down big coming into the second half, we could also press a bit more.

We'll get destroyed if we press Purdue the entire game. There is no comparison between Purdue's guards and Iowa's guards in their ability to handle the ball and break the press.

This^^^^

C'mon people! Who in the world would expect Bryant Allen to play against Purdue? You cannot be serious.

If he practices the rest of the year and only plays in our next Iowa blowout it's probably a good thing. It means we're good at guard and he can figure out if college basketball is really what he wants to do.

Your name creeps me out... R Kelly comes to mind. Unless you really think Coach Smiths practices are like open gym... You would have to realize that Bryant has major catching up to do on plays and schemes.

Per the Marcus tweet:

"Tubby said FR Bryant Allen, a WR on the fb team, helped add another body at practice today. But he didn't know about Allen joining the team."

Seriously people, how could Allen just be automatically on the team? Tubby can't just let a guy on the squad he has hardly seen play? I hope he can prove his worth and contribute on the floor next year.

Your name creeps me out... R Kelly comes to mind. Unless you really think Coach Smiths practices are like open gym... You would have to realize that Bryant has major catching up to do on plays and schemes.

Per the Marcus tweet:

Seriously people, how could Allen just be automatically on the team? Tubby can't just let a guy on the squad he has hardly seen play? I hope he can prove his worth and contribute on the floor next year.

ONe of the reasons Allen came here was that he got a commitment that he could play both sports. But just because he's on the team doesn't mean he gets game time.

Call me crazy, I've been more excited about seeing Allen hit the hardwood than any other recruit this year!

It would take a week or two to get in condition to compete in a game. He's not going to play the first week even if he shows incredible ability.

I think football has him in good enough shape.

? Would it be a good idea for the Tubster not to use him this year. That way if he isn't suitable for the next level in football he can use his fifth year as a full year to concentrate on Basketball as a fifth year Senior?

The Young Man Is A FINE Basketball Player

He led his HS team to 2 consecutive state titles in 2008 and 2009. He was the St Louis area POY and runner-up for Mr. Basketball in the the state of Missouri. He was an All-State 1st team pick.

? Would it be a good idea for the Tubster not to use him this year. That way if he isn't suitable for the next level in football he can use his fifth year as a full year to concentrate on Basketball as a fifth year Senior?

Was thinking the same thing. I have heard nothing but tremendous things about his hoops ability. Nothing wrong with having him sit and watch for a few years.

Was thinking the same thing. I have heard nothing but tremendous things about his hoops ability. Nothing wrong with having him sit and watch for a few years.

Not a bad strategy, but I wonder if he would ever consider quitting football and switching to basketball full-time. Maybe another loss next year in the Kohler Toilet Bowl will have him thinking more about hoops.

Interesting... The Gophers didn't use Bryant that much as a pure WR this year. He was their PR and with a great class of WR's coming in next year as freshmen, who knows? I personally don't think that will happen because there's a reason he was offered a scholarship to play wide out. I wonder though if he does play basketball this year, and if he's good, could he make this decision himself and choose basketball.

ONe of the reasons Allen came here was that he got a commitment that he could play both sports. But just because he's on the team doesn't mean he gets game time.

He is not on the roster, he is not currently a member of this basketball team. Tubby is giving him a chance to become part of the squad... If Dawson can make the roster, he has a good shot.

As others have said before, his presence on this team will become more important if we don't land Devoe's bro. Then, having PG depth will be an issue after Nolen graduates.

Not a bad strategy, but I wonder if he would ever consider quitting football and switching to basketball full-time. Maybe another loss next year in the Kohler Toilet Bowl will have him thinking more about hoops.

Fighting for a chance to play in meaningless bowl game for Brewster or playing for a Big Ten Championship and competing in the 'Big Dance' for Tubby Smith? If he is good enough, that's a no brainier for a basketball oriented guy like me. But then there is the issue of an open basketball scholarship... and I (we) are getting way ahead of ourselves talking about a guy who is not currently on the roster.

Top Bottom