Tubby Smith Talks About Job Rumors, Royce White

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per David Shama:

http://www.shamasportsheadliners.com/

Smith Talks About Job Rumors, Royce White

The Gophers, 2-0 in the Big Ten after defeating Iowa on Saturday, are certain to see their coach’s name linked through rumors to another basketball program again this winter. Tubby Smith, though, told Sports Headliners he isn’t talking to another school and is happy at Minnesota.

Smith won a national championship at Kentucky and made a habit of taking the Wildcats far into the NCAA tournament. In two plus seasons here he’s had the Minnesota program on the rise and that combined with his past success makes Smith a target for other schools with potential or actual vacancies. There’s a perception, too, that the Minnesota coaching position isn’t attractive enough to hold Smith here for long.

Last year there were rumors of Smith going to such places as Virginia and Arizona. Gophers athletic director Joel Maturi expects more speculation. “Oh, I don’t think there’s any doubt about it,” Maturi told Sports Headliners. “That will happen.”

Smith is 58 and has his family here including wife Donna and son Saul who is an assistant coach with the Gophers. “Oh, shoot,” Smith said. “No, nobody is coming after me. Trust me. I am here for good.

“I am enjoying it here. We’re going to be fine. We’re going to continue to grow the program. We’ve got a great situation here so I am very happy and pleased where we are.”

Smith also spoke about freshman forward Royce White and how his players are doing with grades after last semester. White, the high potential recruit who has yet to play because of a suspension involving legal issues, was allowed to watch two practices before the Iowa game but didn’t workout with the other Gophers.

Smith said White came to him last week at a high school game between Hopkins and St. Paul Johnson and asked for permission to watch practice. But nothing has changed regarding White’s suspension and Smith said the “law of justice, they don’t give you timetables.” Smith also indicated White won’t be allowed to routinely come to practice and watch.

Ken Lien, who chaired the Mr. Basketball group that made White the state’s 2009 Mr. Basketball, spoke with White at the Hopkins-Johnson game. In an email to Sports Headliners, Lien wrote that he asked White about speculation he will leave the Minnesota program and that White responded: “No, I’m loyal to Minnesota. If I’m playing college basketball, it will be with the Gophers.”

Smith doesn’t expect to lose any players because of academics. “Everyone seems to be in good status,” he said. “There’s some guys still have incompletes. Things they’ve got to complete or finish up. …”

Go Gophers!!

mens basketball

tubby is a great coach!...hope he is here a long time!....white and mbakwe would make gophers great!......the justice system is dragging there feet!..why?:confused:

So much for the rumors about Royce practicing with the team. That's an interesting statement about not letting him watch very often.

Unless something happens to upset him, I think Tubby is here for good. Maryland was the one job that worried me, since it would be his 'going home' job. But as some have indicated, perhaps he does not have all that fond of feelings for them. I have heard from people who would know, that UVa's offer to him included a substantial raise to come to Charlottesville last Spring and while he may have come close to accepting, he didn't. If he leaves, it certainly won't be simply because of money.

Quotes (Clipped)

Smith is 58 and has his family here including wife Donna and son Saul who is an assistant coach with the Gophers. “Oh, shoot,” Smith said. “No, nobody is coming after me. Trust me. I am here for good.

“I am enjoying it here. We’re going to be fine. We’re going to continue to grow the program. We’ve got a great situation here so I am very happy and pleased where we are.”

That statement caught me off guard. I was assuming he would first of all be practicing (not just watching) and secondly I thought he would be there ALL the time from now on. I have to give coach Smith credit, I know I would be pulling my hair with all this. His comments to the press are always pretty cool. I realize there's nothing he can do with the justice system, but he always seems to reply with what seems as a calm response, which is pretty impressive to me.

A good feeling

It makes me feel really good that Tubby Smith is representing the University and the state of Minnesota as our head BB coach.

I hope FOT is correct and Tubby stays here until he retires.

:clap::clap::clap:

Smith doesn’t expect to lose any players because of academics. “Everyone seems to be in good status,” he said. “There’s some guys still have incompletes. Things they’ve got to complete or finish up. …”

I hope Tubby is right about this statement.

Smith doesn’t expect to lose any players because of academics. “Everyone seems to be in good status,” he said. “There’s some guys still have incompletes. Things they’ve got to complete or finish up. …

Alluding to Al Nolen, I imagine.

It seems odd that he isn't able to watch all practices. I don't see why not.

It seems odd that he isn't able to watch all practices. I don't see why not.

I believe the reason Tubby gave before for not having Royce come to team events, was that he didn't want the distractions. I took that as Royce was not a distraction in himself, but I'm guessing all the focus would be on him - especially for practices where the media attends afterwards, etc.

I guess that's probably true. I think it would benefit Royce to be there all the time but that's not the only important aspect.

I believe the reason Tubby gave before for not having Royce come to team events, was that he didn't want the distractions. I took that as Royce was not a distraction in himself, but I'm guessing all the focus would be on him - especially for practices where the media attends afterwards, etc.

I don't get the feeling that many Gopher fans are worried about Tubby Smith leaving. The few jobs that are better than Minnesota come with the same type of scrutiny that Tubby left at Kentucky. I can't see him being interested in that, nor can I see many of those programs choosing a 58 year old coach.

Too bad that Royce is not back with the team practicing. I was hoping the recent news was a sign that we could be close to seeing Royce on the court.

Top Bottom