Trevor's Hearing Thursday

Reserve

Reaction score
Can anyone with a legal background give an idea of what can happen at Trevor's hearing on Thursday?

What will it take for the charges to be dropped?

Thanks

Can anyone with a legal background give an idea of what can happen at Trevor's hearing on Thursday?

What will it take for the charges to be dropped?

Thanks

What does the docket say for the type of hearing that is taking place?

Here's everything fairly recent. I was wondering about the status ( 18 ) and trial ( 42 ).

Is there going to be a trial or is it just a hearing and what does the " status " mean?

http://www2.miami-dadeclerk.com/cjis/CaseSearch.aspx

Case search by defendant, first/last name, sex.

86 12/23/2009 NOTICE OF TAKING DEPOSITION
83 12/02/2009 ORDER: ON DEFTS AMENDEN MTN FOR TRAVEL COSTS FOR ESSENTIAL ALIBI WI
TNESSES
82 11/24/2009 NOTICE OF TAKING DEPOSITION
81 11/20/2009 DEPOSITION OF:
80 11/20/2009 DEPOSITION OF: VICTORIA MARTIN
79 11/17/2009 MOTION TO/FOR: PERPETUATE TESTIMONY
78 11/17/2009 MOTION TO/FOR: COMPEL BETTER ADDRESS
77 11/17/2009 MOTION FOR CONTINUANCE FILED 11/17/2008 ORAL
SET FOR 11/17/2009 AT 09:00 GRANTED STIP
42 11/17/2009 REPORT RE: TRIAL DATE SET FOR 01/07/2010 AT 09:00
18 11/17/2009 REPORT RE: STATUS SET FOR 01/07/2010 AT 09:00

Here's everything fairly recent. I was wondering about the status ( 18 ) and trial ( 42 ).

Is there going to be a trial or is it just a hearing and what does the " status " mean?

http://www2.miami-dadeclerk.com/cjis/CaseSearch.aspx

Case search by defendant, first/last same, sex.

A "status" is just a status hearing. In a typical status hearing, the judge will assess the "status" of the case based on various things. In this situation, because it is lumped in with the trial, I imagine the judge will determine whether or not the case is fit to continue on to trial and whether or not it can be settled beforehand. If not, then the trial will proceed today as planned.

Let's hope the depositions, missing victim, etc. lead to a pretrial settlement or dismissal.

Mbakwe has been practicing all year, right?

So, if he's acquitted, he could contribute to the team right away... maybe the OSU game?

Mbakwe has been practicing all year, right?

So, if he's acquitted, he could contribute to the team right away... maybe the OSU game?

I think it's been said he would redshirt if that happens. I, myself, would like to see him play right away considering we need a rebounder and with Ralph and Iverson being nicked up.

A "status" is just a status hearing. In a typical status hearing, the judge will assess the "status" of the case based on various things. In this situation, because it is lumped in with the trial, I imagine the judge will determine whether or not the case is fit to continue on to trial and whether or not it can be settled beforehand. If not, then the trial will proceed today as planned.

Let's hope the depositions, missing victim, etc. lead to a pretrial settlement or dismissal.

OK. Well, hopefully, we'll find out good news on Thursday. I know I'd love to have Trevor join the team as quickly as possible, but for someone who is presumably innocent, at least personally anyway, I'd be scared shi-less. So while the two obviously go together, my first thoughts are that the charges are dropped and he can put this behind him regardless of him being able to play.

I think it's been said he would redshirt if that happens. I, myself, would like to see him play right away considering we need a rebounder and with Ralph and Iverson being nicked up.

I think it's been stated that red-shirting is a possibility. If he were to be cleared of charges on 1/7 I think he would play right away.

Redshirting would make sense because he's missed time this year, but... I agree with you that a big body who is aggressive at rebounding and getting in the paint is what we need for the Big Ten run. I think if Royce was back, then redshirting him wouldn't be a problem because you wouldn't be losing both players.

Even though it wouldn't be considered a "redshirt", if Royce doesn't play this season, our inactive total would be 3. Royce, Mbakwe, and Dawson. They have good depth in their lineup, but to play without 3 players must hurt.

Redshirting would make sense because he's missed time this year, but... I agree with you that a big body who is aggressive at rebounding and getting in the paint is what we need for the Big Ten run. I think if Royce was back, then redshirting him wouldn't be a problem because you wouldn't be losing both players.

Even though it wouldn't be considered a "redshirt", if Royce doesn't play this season, our inactive total would be 3. Royce, Mbakwe, and Dawson. They have good depth in their lineup, but to play without 3 players must hurt.

Am I reading this right? Victoria Martin was deposed on 11/20? She is the alleged victim, correct? If so, she is not missing...

No, Victoria Martin is a witness

They cannot list the victim's name. Martin is one of the other player's girlfriend and they all lived in the same appartment building.

Am I reading this right? Victoria Martin was deposed on 11/20?

No. Victoria Martin was the girlfriend of Dodson, the Kentucky player. Two very key witnesses for Trevor's alibi.

I think it's been stated that red-shirting is a possibility. If he were to be cleared of charges on 1/7 I think he would play right away.

+1

He has been in practice and competing well from what I have heard. He wants to play now, if the charges were dropped this week... suit him up, he's been through a lot.

Not trying to knock Dawson, but the gophers are not hurting with him out.

I'm pretty sure its been reported that it is Trevor's choice to redshirt. Given he's already lost a season of eligibility at Marquette and spent a year in the Juco ranks, missing a half a season with the Gopher's for a third year of eligibility would not be in his best interests.

I agree, suit him up. The Gophs need a strong showing in Big Ten play to make the dance and can use TM's presence in the lineup immediately. Not making the tourney this year would be a step back for this program.

I'm pretty sure its been reported that it is Trevor's choice to redshirt. Given he's already lost a season of eligibility at Marquette and spent a year in the Juco ranks, missing a half a season with the Gopher's for a third year of eligibility would not be in his best interests.

Exactly - selfishly, I think we all want Trevor back - and for us, if he could help us win just one or two more BT games (which I'm sure he could), it would be worth it and could change our chances of getting into the tourney.

However, if I were Trevor, I would not burn my redshirt year. He's only played about 11 D1 games, and he's a junior this year. If he has NBA hopes, or even want to play overseas, it's much better for his development to play two full years. He has already missed 16 games (including exhibition), and would only get to play 16 regular season games if he started tomorrow. And most likely, this will drag out for another few weeks. Not in his best interest.

Exactly - selfishly, I think we all want Trevor back - and for us, if he could help us win just one or two more BT games (which I'm sure he could), it would be worth it and could change our chances of getting into the tourney.

However, if I were Trevor, I would not burn my redshirt year. He's only played about 11 D1 games, and he's a junior this year. If he has NBA hopes, or even want to play overseas, it's much better for his development to play two full years. He has already missed 16 games (including exhibition), and would only get to play 16 regular season games if he started tomorrow. And most likely, this will drag out for another few weeks. Not in his best interest.

If TM were to be cleared on Thurs as in case dismissed I think it might be a tough decision for him. If it drags out longer (which I'm guessing it will) I would think he would RS.

GL

I agree. TM should red shirt this year. This goes for RW too.

At this point let's just hope things work out OK and both Trevor and RW show up in full force next fall.

Even if the case were resolved on Thursday, TM needs to redshirt this year. Although, even if we can get RW for one game this year, I think it's worth not redshirting him, primarily for two reasons: 1) He is not going to stay here his entire four years anyways. 2) If he doesn't play at all this year, he might get disgruntled this summer and just leave the program. If he plays even one game, presumably at the Barn, hopefully that is incentive and excitement enough for him to come back in the fall.

Even if the case were resolved on Thursday, TM needs to redshirt this year. Although, even if we can get RW for one game this year, I think it's worth not redshirting him, primarily for two reasons: 1) He is not going to stay here his entire four years anyways. 2) If he doesn't play at all this year, he might get disgruntled this summer and just leave the program. If he plays even one game, presumably at the Barn, hopefully that is incentive and excitement enough for him to come back in the fall.

I agree - I can't see RW needing 4 years of eligibility - so he should play if he comes back regardless. Trevor only has 2 years left, and needs those full years.

I agree - I can't see RW needing 4 years of eligibility - so he should play if he comes back regardless. Trevor only has 2 years left, and needs those full years.

I agree on RW. GL do you think TV would play this year if charges were dropped this week?
I think he would be able to help right away since he has been at practices whereas RW has not been practicing and will need some time. I just think it might be a tough choice for him.

While I wouldn't fault Trevor for red-shirting, if this is resolved this week, I would hope he plays this year. We need him pretty badly, and the vast majority of the 'meaningful' games are still to be played. As long as he's been practicing and can get right in there, I'd like to see him.

I think we all want to see these kids play as soon as possible, but even though this team is pretty good we are better in the future. Both Trevor and RW are kids that will make that future better. I'm all for a little delayed gratification for a better tomorrow.

I agree on RW. GL do you think TV would play this year if charges were dropped this week?

If I were him, I wouldn't - but he could be a better person than me...he probably is, haha!

From what I've heard from people (not Trevor himself), he intends to redshirt. But who knows, he's got to be a competitor, and it may be more difficult to sit on the sidelines knowing that he could play than he thinks.

Schoo

I think we all want to see these kids play as soon as possible, but even though this team is pretty good we are better in the future. Both Trevor and RW are kids that will make that future better. I'm all for a little delayed gratification for a better tomorrow.

I agree.

I am OK with both of them redshirting this year and having them full throttle next season, if it all plays out OK.

I think in RW's case he could use a second semester concentrating on his classes, etc. I believe it would be in RW's best interests.

I can see that side. It's just that there's a lot more options to fill a hole at PF in 2012 then there are for 2010. As a Gopher fan, I'd like him to play. If I were in his shoes, I might not.

But if he can come back soon, he will still play the majority of two Big 10 Seasons. I'm not sure the net gain of an extra non-conference schedule of 90% creampuffs in 2012 will help his long-term basketball goals all that much.

I'm confused. I thought Royce White quit the team!?!?!
Doesn't your shtick ever get old?

I've tried to refrain from commenting on your idiocy, but I just don't get your MO for posting on Gopherhole.

It's like you intentionally try to piss off 99% of the members of this site, often repeating yourself 4-5 times in various threads (like we didn't read it the first 3 times), trolling as hard as possible?

Top Bottom