The Sports Show Tonight-Willie Burton/Clem Haskins Recruitment

akgopher

Reaction score
Did I hear correctly that Sid insinuated Clem's recruitment of Willie Burton wasn't on the up and up? I thought it looked like there was a cut in the tape after Sid said Clem had a little help recruiting Burton, then it looked like there was a cut and Reusse shaking his head said something about we now more a little more about Clem. I'm not sure if I heard or processed that correctly. If he meant what I think he was getting to.... man that's messed up. Did anyone catch that?

Dark Starr gave to Sid pretty good about jumping in spotlight with Clem, saying he looked like Usain Bolt flying up the stairs. Sid said Clem was worried that he was going to get booed.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Willie actually recruited by Dutch?

Did I hear correctly that Sid insinuated Clem's recruitment of Willie Burton wasn't on the up and up? I thought it looked like there was a cut in the tape after Sid said Clem had a little help recruiting Burton, then it looked like there was a cut and Reusse shaking his head said something about we now more a little more about Clem. I'm not sure if I heard or processed that correctly. If he meant what I think he was getting to.... man that's messed up. Did anyone catch that?

Dark Starr gave to Sid pretty good about jumping in spotlight with Clem, saying he looked like Usain Bolt flying up the stairs. Sid said Clem was worried that he was going to get booed.

I didn't get to see the show, but I was fortunate enough to speak with Willie a few days ago (the full interview will be up in the next few days) and I asked him about his recruitment, and why he choose the U, with it coming off a scandal. He said he wanted to move to Minneapolis, he loves the city and the people. His goal the whole time was to live in the Twin Cities, and that's why he came here. He also mentioned that he was suppose to meet with Coach Haskins during his recruitment, it was suppose to be a few months down the road, and Haskins just popped up and met with him early, because he wanted Willie right then!

The Motown throw down........

glassifier (yes it actually said that on his letter jacket) was signed by Dutch (and JR Williams) in the fall of '85. When the scandal broke in February, there was talk that recruits might bolt (Shik and Newbern as well) but Clem hit the road and convinced them all to come. (plenty of playing time available)

Top Bottom