USC punishes itself for rules violations

This self-imposed ban may actually have some bite

In this particular instance, USC's self-imposed ban from postseason play looks like it actually could have some bite. Most times the self-imposed ban means nothing because the team usually sucks that particular season anyways. The only other one I can think of where the team was actually pretty decent was Ohio State a few years ago; they were an at-large possibility in 2004-05 during their self-imposed ban.

This USC team recovered from a rough start and had turned itself into a legitimate at-large candidate with wins over Tennessee, UNLV and St. Mary's. As always, I feel bad for the coaches and players left in the wake of previous cheating, but the bottom line is someone has to pay the price and it must be the current program. Not fair to this year's USC team, but it's the way it should be.

From a realist's perspective and as a Gopher fan, I guess this is a good development. USC is one less team out of the at-large pool come Selection Sunday

USC doesn't care about bball. They punished themselves big time in order to avoid having to respond to the football team's mess with Reggie Bush and Joe McKnight.

See: Parrish

I certainly jibe with what Parrish is saying. There's only one "sacred cow" sport at USC, and it sure as heck doesn't take place on the hardwood.

Regardless, the basketball program needed to be hit hard for the Mayo fiasco. I think the self-imposed ban from the Pac 10 and (possibly) NCAA tournaments was the right and reasonable action by the (football-protecting) school.

USC doesn't care about bball. They punished themselves big time in order to avoid having to respond to the football team's mess with Reggie Bush and Joe McKnight.

See: Parrish
Yep, that was my first thought when reading about the sanctions.

The system is broke. They need to find another way of punishment rather than eliminating postseason play from players who had nothing to do with it.

Top Bottom