Purdue game: Backdoor Cuts

ShowinGoldyLove

Reaction score
tWe all know what kind of pressure that Purdue puts on the ball; it rattled West Virginia to their core this weekend. They also overplay passing lanes like nobody's business. Too many teams have gotten caught up in extending themselves to nearly half court or touching the sidelines when starting their offense; it throws the timing of the offense off, puts people in positions with the ball they aren't used to, etc. What should an offense do to combat this extreme aggressiveness?

BACKDOOR CUTS.

We had a number of backdoor cuts in the Iowa game for layups, but we're going to see a level of intensity we haven't yet seen this year against Purdue. In order keep the defense honest on Tuesday, we're going to have to run a number of backdoor cuts. I know it's a very simple thing, but getting beat 2-3 times on a backdoor cut will make a defender think twice about denying the pass 25-27 ft from the basket, and will allow us more space to run the offense.

It's true. One of the reasons Purdue has struggled so much with Northwestern.

You also have to remember Purdue has one of the best shot blockers in the nation down low in Johnson. Most of his blocks are from coming from the weakside. Translated he is pretty good at blocking the backdoor cut. Now he can't block them all and stop the backdoor cut from being effective at all but he gets alot of them.

You also have to remember Purdue has one of the best shot blockers in the nation down low in Johnson. Most of his blocks are from coming from the weakside. Translated he is pretty good at blocking the backdoor cut. Now he can't block them all and stop the backdoor cut from being effective at all but he gets alot of them.
Perhaps. But JJ is ranked 3rd in the Big 10, behind our Sampson and just ahead of Damian Johnson. The Gophers have 3 of the top 8 shot blockers in the Big 10, Purdue has one in the top 13.

JJ only averages 2 blocks a game. That really isn't too intimidating, even if he alters 4-5 more. He's not a one man wall; we should be fine running backdoors. Even if he goes for the block, that leaves his man wide open for the dump down pass for a layup.

I'm not the least bit scared of the Gophers tomorrow night. I hope they apply their cute little press and our superior ball handlers shred it to pieces. This is basically the same 2 teams from last year and the Boilers won easily at the Barn.

Purdue 79-61

Let's see...the line is 8. I'd bet on that any day at Mackey, but not if it was 18 like MinnesotaBoiler99 thinks ;)

Pretty confident...you willing to put money on that line?

Why not be confident? I'm not trying to be a dick, but if you're not confident about the #4 in the country playing at home against a non-ranked team that hasn't played a formidable opponent in over a month, then when will you ever be confident?

Crazy things do happen I know, but I see no reason not be in this case.

By the way, it's just a prediction. There are people here that "predict" the Gophers to win every single football and basketball game so I'm just doing the same.

Also, my parents are Gopher season ticket holders (in multiple sports) and my wife got her Master's at the U so needless to say the living room tomorrow night will be interesting.

Boiler's 100% correct. The only team the #4 team in the country should be 'worried' about the rest of the year is MSU. Purdue should be better than evreyone else they play. I think Purdue wins but we have a shot if we continue to play smart, efficient offensive basketball

Exactly oleboy41.

I would assume Gopher fans would be equally as confident if the roles were reversed, like in 1997?

A Gopher win is not impossible, but it will take a near perfect performance on both ends.

Also oleboy41, playing at Wisconsin "worries" me. I think the Boilers 1st loss will be this weekend in Madison.

I'm not the least bit scared of the Gophers tomorrow night. I hope they apply their cute little press and our superior ball handlers shred it to pieces. This is basically the same 2 teams from last year and the Boilers won easily at the Barn.

Purdue 79-61

I don't think Purdue has the fire power to score 79 on the Gophers. The only teams they have scored over 80 against this year have RPI's well over 100. I still thing Boilers win by about 10, but closer to 70-60.

Purdue 79-61

You must have forgotten the Alabama game when Boilers really struggled against their even cuter press.

Purdue 79-61

Nice call.

Purdue 79-61

HA! YOU WERE WRONG!!!

yeah...kidding. I would have been more impressed by guessing the number of fouls.

Top Bottom