What will it take for an upset in West Lafayette?

Sota1

Reaction score
I like how the team has come together over the past few weeks, but I'm concerned about going into a hostile environment with a very solid, fundamental team. What are the keys to success beside rebounding and continuing our hot shooting? I'm fired up for the game. An upset over Purdue could propel us through this tough stretch.

Won't be too hostile, the Paint Crew still isn't back.

The first key to success when playing Purdue is to get JJ in foul trouble. Taking care of the ball is also important, but tough against Purdue.

1) Guards have to take care of the ball and deal with all of the hand-checking, grabbing and pressure the Purdue uses. That takes a lot of teams out of their offense. Our guards need to be ready for it, and deal with it to get us into our offense. This is the biggest thing by far.

2) Colton and/or RS3 need to be physical with Jujuan Johnson, and stay out of foul trouble. Purdue has some very good bigs in JJ and Hummel, but both are relatively weak. Use our size and physicality to control the paint.

3) Continue knocking down 3's so that driving lanes are available. We don't need our offense to shoot a ton of 3's, but we do need to shoot enough that we can open up the floor and attack the lane.

RSIII

1) Guards have to take care of the ball and deal with all of the hand-checking, grabbing and pressure the Purdue uses. That takes a lot of teams out of their offense. Our guards need to be ready for it, and deal with it to get us into our offense. This is the biggest thing by far.

2) Colton and/or RS3 need to be physical with Jujuan Johnson, and stay out of foul trouble. Purdue has some very good bigs in JJ and Hummel, but both are relatively weak. Use our size and physicality to control the paint.

3) Continue knocking down 3's so that driving lanes are available. We don't need our offense to shoot a ton of 3's, but we do need to shoot enough that we can open up the floor and attack the lane.

Hopefully RSIII can play.

Hope for JJ and Hubble to get into foul constraints and our guards to play their best game of the year!

It will be a TALL order.

I posted this on an early thread I thought I would repost it. It would be the way if I was a coach the way I would attack Purdue.

BL I think you idea is "strategic suicide" is right on. Especially if you try to go man-to-man for 94 feet, Purdue will just wear you down. They have too many good ball handlers for it to work. Purdue has at least 3 capable ball handlers on the court the entire most times 4.

If I was a coach trying to beat Purdue the points I would focus on are
1. Rebounding-Purdue is a average to good rebounding team if you can beat Purdue on glass that a huge advantage
2. Run-Getting up and down the court will prevent the Boilers from getting into there dominating half court D.
3. Take care of the ball-Purdue is somewhere in the area of +7.5 in turnovers per game this year. I know this is a pretty basic idea for all games but very important vs Purdue
4. Go right at Johnson and Hummel-If you can get Johnson and Hummel in foul trouble then pound the ball inside you will score on Purdue.
5. Take away Moore-Assuming you can get Hummel and Johnson in foul trouble early then on D you have to take away Moore. Forcing Kramer(never has been a scorer) Grant(has been cold all year) and the rest of the young players to take over the scoring duties you have a chance.

Thats what I do if I didn't have team like say Kansas, Texas, Kentucky, or UNC basically a ultra-athletic team. Those will be the teams that will give Purdue the most problems.

I posted this on an early thread I thought I would repost it. It would be the way if I was a coach the way I would attack Purdue.

BL I think you idea is "strategic suicide" is right on. Especially if you try to go man-to-man for 94 feet, Purdue will just wear you down. They have too many good ball handlers for it to work. Purdue has at least 3 capable ball handlers on the court the entire most times 4.

If I was a coach trying to beat Purdue the points I would focus on are
1. Rebounding-Purdue is a average to good rebounding team if you can beat Purdue on glass that a huge advantage
2. Run-Getting up and down the court will prevent the Boilers from getting into there dominating half court D.
3. Take care of the ball-Purdue is somewhere in the area of +7.5 in turnovers per game this year. I know this is a pretty basic idea for all games but very important vs Purdue
4. Go right at Johnson and Hummel-If you can get Johnson and Hummel in foul trouble then pound the ball inside you will score on Purdue.
5. Take away Moore-Assuming you can get Hummel and Johnson in foul trouble early then on D you have to take away Moore. Forcing Kramer(never has been a scorer) Grant(has been cold all year) and the rest of the young players to take over the scoring duties you have a chance.

Thats what I do if I didn't have team like say Kansas, Texas, Kentucky, or UNC basically a ultra-athletic team. Those will be the teams that will give Purdue the most problems.

I've been very impressed with Jujuan Johnson - that guy has some ability under the hoop. Must control him defensively. My strategy, I guess, would be to play a 2-3 matchup that leaves Kramer basically alone. Make him beat you with the outside shot. If he can do it, then Purdue wins. If not, the Gophers have a chance. I take that chance.

Purdue has a very nice team, but if the Gophers shoot the ball well, anything can happen. The key offensively will be to work it around and wear out the defenders working off of screens. An inside-out game with Iverson and Westbrook/Hoff should be used every game, but will be important here. DJ and Hoff need to have a great game, I think, for the Gophers to pull it out.

I've been very impressed with Jujuan Johnson - that guy has some ability under the hoop. Must control him defensively. My strategy, I guess, would be to play a 2-3 matchup that leaves Kramer basically alone. Make him beat you with the outside shot. If he can do it, then Purdue wins. If not, the Gophers have a chance. I take that chance.

Purdue has a very nice team, but if the Gophers shoot the ball well, anything can happen. The key offensively will be to work it around and wear out the defenders working off of screens. An inside-out game with Iverson and Westbrook/Hoff should be used every game, but will be important here. DJ and Hoff need to have a great game, I think, for the Gophers to pull it out.
Kramer's not going to take many (read - zero) outside shots, no matter how open you leave him. He's know his strengths and the team's strengths, and he's smart enough not to do that.

2 things

1. Al has to have the game of his life on both ends, something similar to Louisville last season. We can't let Purdue's guards (most notably Kramer) dictate the game with their defense. Gophers can't just be dribbling the ball between the circles when the shot clock is running down. We're in deep doo-doo if that's going on all night. Also would assume some of the time Al will draw Moore on the defensive end. Keeping Moore in check will be key as well.

2. Get Hummel and Johnson in foul trouble, but it'll be difficult to do that because the Gophers so rarely or effectively dabble in the post.

Agree with most of the things already posted. Foul trouble for any of their starters would be huge since the Boilers' bench is weak.

agree on iverson

Purdue is not a deep team. And they have physical guards, but not a real physical post presence. IF Iverson can have a game like he had against Butler and Get JJ in foul trouble would be the first order of buisness. I havent seen enough effort to get the ball inside.

Agree with most of the things already posted. Foul trouble for any of their starters would be huge since the Boilers' bench is weak.

Bench is young and inexperienced, not necessarily weak. The 3 freshmen have played well. Soph Ryne Smith is much improved. Little INSIDE depth though.

One thing that was mentioned and I think has been key to the recent success is the aggressive approach we are taking at getting the ball up the court on offense. You can see that they have been running even more than usual lately. It's a fun approach if we can continue to capitalize with this pace. I think one person that needs to have a big game, if RSIII doesn't play, is Carter. Aggressive, long arms, and disruptive defense along with Iverson and Johnson inside will go a long way in determining the outcome of this game (or if we can keep it close). Getting off to a good start is imperative as usual. Can't wait for the game.

Mental strength/toughness, very good play from the team, one post player like Carter or Iverson to have a huge game and a guard that can't miss from outside - Devoe is way overdue for a big game?

I agree with most of the keys to victory already posted. I also think we need to double team JaJuan Johnson. He has 8 assists to 21 turnovers on the season. This leads me to believe that he is not a great passer/decision maker. If we can put some pressure on him, we should be able to create some turnovers and score a lot of easy baskets in transition.

I didn't see the article online this morning but Marcus Fuller had his article in the PP that indicated the Gophers are going to press tonight ala Alabama.

I hope they do. I haven't seen a game recently other than Iowa last week that the Gophers came out and pressed from the beginning.

Should be fun to watch.

Well according to Westbrook-

"We have to play like men to get a win,'' senior guard Lawrence Westbrook said. "This is the perfect game to figure out where you are as a team.''

Since the Big 10 is where the men play, it makes sense they'll have to come out and play like men.

Alrighty then.

"I think we're going to have to get after them with the press,'' senior forward Damian Johnson said. "A lot of Big Ten teams, they're not used to that pace. So we're going to try to use that to our advantage.''

I think they'll come out and press too.

Man up and press. Sounds like a winner to me.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...res/01/05/2060.ap.bkc.minnesota.s.month.0627/

I would say it will take an almost perfect game. For one, Westbrook will need to lead us. If he looks lost in the offense or is missing his cuts to the basket, we're in trouble. We need to not give up fast break points and shoot better than 50% from the field. I can't see us having any chance to win big, so I hope to be a basket up or down come the last minute. Every team is beatable and we have enough horses to win. But someone is going to have to come up big for us and lead us to what would be the biggest win under Tubby.

The Gophers are deeper even without RS3...With that in mind, here are my keys:

1)Tempo! Gophers need to run the Boilers into the ground, with full court pressure and traps and make this game more about a war of attrition than a more sedate battle of half court offense.

2)Bombs away! Gophers need to get hot three point shooting from at least 2 of the following 3: Hoffarber, Westbrook or Joseph. Hot meaning over 50% with a about 8 to 10 Three's between them.

3)Officiating....Hope like hell the refs let the game get physical and ragged. A tightly called game will expose the Gophers weakness(FT Shooting) while highlight Purdue's greatest strength...Most of Purdue's starters are well over 75% from the line while most of the Gophers are below 75%.

4)Stay calm and avoid big spurts...Purdue will get some runs in this game...The Gophers need to make sure they limit the runs to single digits and weather the many momentum shifts.

5)Paul Carter must grow up and take on a key role at both ends of the court. With Sampson out, the time is NOW for Carter!

The Gophers are deeper even without RS3...With that in mind, here are my keys:

1)Tempo! Gophers need to run the Boilers into the ground, with full court pressure and traps and make this game more about a war of attrition than a more sedate battle of half court offense.

2)Bombs away! Gophers need to get hot three point shooting from at least 2 of the following 3: Hoffarber, Westbrook or Joseph. Hot meaning over 50% with a about 8 to 10 Three's between them.

3)Officiating....Hope like hell the refs let the game get physical and ragged. A tightly called game will expose the Gophers weakness(FT Shooting) while highlight Purdue's greatest strength...Most of Purdue's starters are well over 75% from the line while most of the Gophers are below 75%.

4)Stay calm and avoid big spurts...Purdue will get some runs in this game...The Gophers need to make sure they limit the runs to single digits and weather the many momentum shifts.

5)Paul Carter must grow up and take on a key role at both ends of the court. With Sampson out, the time is NOW for Carter!
I seriously disagree with #3. You don't want to get into a physical battle with Purdue, although these are both good defensive teams. You also really want to get JJ in foul trouble.

I also really don't think the press is going to bother the Boilers too much, but we'll see.

I read somewhere that Purdue is rated last in the BT at 3-pt defense. That bodes well for the Gophs if they continue shooting well from the perimeter. We need to run them into the ground, and not make it a half court game. The guards gave Purdue's big men the most trouble against WV, whereas the big men were unable to stop JJ. We are a guard heavy team, and need to use that to our advantage.

What will it take to upset Purdue?

I like our team, but Purdue is very solid and deserving of its rating. At Purdue I believe it will take a minor miracle....I know Charleston beat UNC, at the Barn I believe we have a shot.

Repeat of the Louisville Performance?

Here's Al Nolen's quote from today ..

Al Nolen on his role against the Boilermakers: "I think I'm going to have to do a little more this game with Purdue denying our wings and really getting into the bigs. I'm going to have to do more penetrating and help out the team more in the scoring department."

Could Al be the key to the game?

Top Bottom