Anyone Listen To Sid Today?

akgopher

Reaction score
I'd be interested to hear what he said about the Clem tribute and how much Clem wanted him to be apart of his tribute. I might have to stay up for the Sports Show tonight to see if Dark needles him about it. Souhan had a good take on Clem's presence showing how much clout Tubby has built already at the U.

He also touched on the topic of Coach Smith's long-term plans of staying here. Don't want to get into it for fear of being "the one" who started the first Coach Smith is going to leave thread of the year.

I'd be interested to hear what he said about the Clem tribute and how much Clem wanted him to be apart of his tribute. I might have to stay up for the Sports Show tonight to see if Dark needles him about it. Souhan had a good take on Clem's presence showing how much clout Tubby has built already at the U.

He also touched on the topic of Coach Smith's long-term plans of staying here. Don't want to get into it for fear of being "the one" who started the first Coach Smith is going to leave thread of the year.

Tubby will retire as Gopher HC.

I know this question is off topic and for that I apologize, but is Flip Saunders son still helping coach? Thanks.

Sorry I brought it up. FWIW, he said Coach Smith appears comfortable here, but thinks there could be a dream job- Maryland that could make him jump. He's 58 years old. He's not leaving. A premiere job like Maryland, unbelievable local recruiting base, will get somebody younger and equally as impressive, like a Jamie Dixon to bolt for it.

I know this question is off topic and for that I apologize, but is Flip Saunders son still helping coach? Thanks.

Ryan Saunders is on Flip's staff in some capacity with the gun-totting Washington Wizards.

Go Gophers!!

Thank you BleedGopher. I hope Ryan doesn't say the wrong thing to the wrong person on that club.

I hope you're right. I would love to see Saul take over when it does happen.

could you please clarify with me why you would like this to happen? i guess i don't know enough about him - we all know that jirsa has a wealth of experience, and is a good recruiter, taylor is a fantastic recruiter and the kids love him...i'm just unclear as to what saul brings to the table other than being tubby smith's son?

could you please clarify with me why you would like this to happen? i guess i don't know enough about him - we all know that jirsa has a wealth of experience, and is a good recruiter, taylor is a fantastic recruiter and the kids love him...i'm just unclear as to what saul brings to the table other than being tubby smith's son?

Jirsa will never be a head coach because of the crap he pulled at Georgia. To this day, I still can't believe somone like Tubby has him on his staff.

Jirsa will never be a head coach because of the crap he pulled at Georgia. To this day, I still can't believe somone like Tubby has him on his staff.

I too, was surprised at the hire, as he was controversial - but I don't think anyone doubts his basketball coaching ability. From a lot of the kids I've talked to, many also credit them with him being the key recruiter in their recruitment.

Saul is a proven recruiter, but as for the coaching, you're right Saul is unproven. Although, with his genes and the fact that he's being mentored by Tubby, he's worth the gamble.

I too, was surprised at the hire, as he was controversial - but I don't think anyone doubts his basketball coaching ability. From a lot of the kids I've talked to, many also credit them with him being the key recruiter in their recruitment.

Harrick (not Jirsa) was source of the Georgia stuff.

Georgia booted Jirsa to hire Harrick.

Art and GL ??

What crap and what controversy?

All I remember hearing about is the Dryden thing where he was alleged to have told the kid, Dryden, to change majors and when he didnt he got benched.

Was there more?

That was Harrick, not Jirsa.

Georgia booted Jirsa to hire Harrick.

I'm not talking about Harrick. I understand the differences. Although Jirsa nver broke any NCAA rules, he crossed the line ethically with the handling of some players and I would have a hard time allowing my son to play college basketball for him.

Sorry I brought it up. FWIW, he said Coach Smith appears comfortable here, but thinks there could be a dream job- Maryland that could make him jump. He's 58 years old. He's not leaving. A premiere job like Maryland, unbelievable local recruiting base, will get somebody younger and equally as impressive, like a Jamie Dixon to bolt for it.

Maryland withdrew Tubby's scholarship offer in August 1969 just as he was getting ready to start his freshman year.

I highly doubt Tubby has a fondness for Maryland since then.

Maryland withdrew Tubby's scholarship offer in August 1969 just as he was getting ready to start his freshman year.

I highly doubt Tubby has a fondness for Maryland since then.

Similar experiences did stop Clem Haskins from proclaiming Kentucky to be is dream job in 1997. Wish Lexington had felt the same, maybe Gangelhoff goes away before getting mad and we don't become the poster child for academic fraud.

I'm not talking about Harrick. I understand the differences. Although Jirsa nver broke any NCAA rules, he crossed the line ethically with the handling of some players and I would have a hard time allowing my son to play college basketball for him.

Boy, that's a stretch. Jirsa was booted SOLELY because Harrick was available.

Saul is a proven recruiter, but as for the coaching, you're right Saul is unproven. Although, with his genes and the fact that he's being mentored by Tubby, he's worth the gamble.

Burton - just curious, which recruits has Saul gotten? I've only talked to the kids here, and don't recall many mentioning him (other than attending a game of theirs).

What crap and what controversy?

All I remember hearing about is the Dryden thing where he was alleged to have told the kid, Dryden, to change majors and when he didnt he got benched.

Was there more?

Honestly - a lot of this came up a few years ago when he was hired, and I know the Dryden thing was one issue, and there were others. I don't want to state any wrong information - but this board went a little nuts. It's not really worth it to me to dig up anything, as it's water under the bridge, and he's done a great job. I just know it was a controversial hire at the time.

Lady

Burton - just curious, which recruits has Saul gotten? I've only talked to the kids here, and don't recall many mentioning him (other than attending a game of theirs).

Honestly - a lot of this came up a few years ago when he was hired, and I know the Dryden thing was one issue, and there were others. I don't want to state any wrong information - but this board went a little nuts. It's not really worth it to me to dig up anything, as it's water under the bridge, and he's done a great job. I just know it was a controversial hire at the time.

I am with you 100%.

I should've clarified. He won't be a head coach at Minnesota down the road or any other "bigger" basketball schools. Places like Marshall can't be too picky.

I should've clarified. He won't be a head coach at Minnesota down the road or any other "bigger" basketball schools. Places like Marshall can't be too picky.

If he would have taken Marshall to back-to-back Sweet 16's or an Elite 8 or something similar, he'd have gotten another job, easily. But, the fact of the matter is that he has been a relatively unsuccessful head coach - and that - and only that - will prevent him from being a head coach at a "bigger" school. He's an outstanding assistant coach, by the way.

I hope you're right. I would love to see Saul take over when it does happen.

Smith is 58 and has his family here including wife Donna and son Saul who is an assistant coach with the Gophers. “Oh, shoot,” Smith said. “No, nobody is coming after me. Trust me. I am here for good.

“I am enjoying it here. We’re going to be fine. We’re going to continue to grow the program. We’ve got a great situation here so I am very happy and pleased where we are.”

Top Bottom