The Best Purdue Player Is.....

josh087

Sharing Common Sense & Reality
Reaction score
________ Fill in the blank.

My vote is Jujuan Johnson. On a team with not many big men, he is more critical to the success than any player.

Moore or Hummel

But the most important player is Kramer.

I'd take all those guys, and Johnson too, in a New York minute.

At least nobody has said Hummel...very overrated in my opinion.

Kramer

I have felt for a long time that Kramer is an over-rated defender. Up close at the Big Ten tournament I saw him get lit up by Neitzel and Michael Flowers in back-to-back games. He has a sturdy body and is typical of Purdue players in that he takes care of the ball, but his butt is routinely saved by his more-athletic counterparts who roam the paint. (His status as Big Ten "defender of the year" a couple years back was an erroneous gifting in my opinion.) Don't get me wrong, he starts on most Big Ten teams, but I would say the other four starters on Purdue easily beat him out as "most valuable". Maybe I haven't see enough of him to think otherwise.

It's a tough choice. JaJuan is probably the most important player. E'twaun might be the most skilled. But I have a feeling that Robbie is going to continue to get his shooting touch back (7-8 vs. WVU) and that, combined with his hard work, great defense, and solid rebounding will show why he is Purdue's best player.

I agree with Jujuan Johnson. He would have looked great in a Gopher uniform.

I also agree that Hummel is over rated.

Tough but good question: It depeneds on how you define best or what you are looking for or what you value.

Most Skilled: Moore
Most Valuable:JJ
Best Glue Guy: Hummel(also best in the nation IMO)
Best Defender: Kramer(best perimeter defender in the nation IMO)

To me best implies most skilled so Moore. I think he will go off one game this year and score about 35 and carry Purdue. If you were going to most valuable then its JJ simply because Purdue is so thin up front. I think Hummel would start for every team in the nation because he does so many things so well.

Just wondering but why do people think Kramer and Hummel are overrated. I'm not saying you are wrong, I'm just wondering.

The guy who runs the Purdue Rivals site asked this very same question to several coaches and players at the Big Ten Media Day in Chicago back in October and he got an almost a different response each time. Hummel, Johnson, and Moore were mostly mentioned but the reason why each was mentioned was different.

My opinion is that Hummel is the best all around player, but Moore is the most skilled like mentioned above. Johnson has the most NBA potential if he can add some muscle.

As for Hummel being overrated, well that's just ridiculous.

In my opinion, it's Johnson and it's not even close.

His presence in the lane allows a guy like Kramer to play such aggresive defense. Kramar is a good defensive player, but he often gets beat off the dribble and is helped out by Johnson.

He is the most efficient scorer (15 points on 54% shooting), their best rebounder, and the key to their defense (interior presence to coincide with perimeter pressure). He is athletic enough to run the floor and finish at the rim, and he is skilled enough to knock down an open shot.

Hummel and Moore are nice players, but this is a drastically different team without JuJuan Johnson.

It was pretty unpleasant when Robbie was out or hurting last year. Cost the Boilers at least 3 games. I know he's not flashy and isn't the most athletic guy, but there's just something about him that keeps Purdue together, playing well, and winning.

However, if Johnson was hurt, Purdue would have just as difficult of a time. Mostly because we're so thin up front though. If I had to watch Bade play 30 minutes I might shoot myself.

Top Bottom