Sophomore slump?

balds

Reaction score
Similar to Hoff and Nolen's seasons last year, is Joseph going through a sophomore slump? I think he is a serious talent and is a stud, but he seems a bit off this year. Is it just me?

p.s. Love Westbrook, but am looking forward to seeing Devoe get mad minutes at the 2 guard.

I don't think it's his year in school; his play is pretty rough this year because he really seems to be forcing it.

He hasn't been letting the game come to him. His relatively poor shooting % and high TO rate this year are direct evidence of that IMO.

However, I think Joseph has talent and will have a good career as a Gopher.

Agree

Could be connected to his playing time. Trying to do to much in the minutes he has. Although last year he was brilliant in similar minutes. Didn't he score 30 (like 16 in about 4 minutes) at Penn St?

Could be connected to his playing time. Trying to do to much in the minutes he has. Although last year he was brilliant in similar minutes. Didn't he score 30 (like 16 in about 4 minutes) at Penn St?
He's actually getting 4 more minutes per game this year than last year (17 min/game last year vs. 21 min/game this year).

No one on the team gets a lot of minutes (no one averages >25 min/game, 6 guys average between 21-25/min game).

Tubby hasn't given anyone a ton of minutes since he arrived here in MN 3 years ago.

Similar to Hoff and Nolen's seasons last year, is Joseph going through a sophomore slump? I think he is a serious talent and is a stud, but he seems a bit off this year. Is it just me?

p.s. Love Westbrook, but am looking forward to seeing Devoe get mad minutes at the 2 guard.

Ha, that's blind love and wishfully thinking. At this point, I don't see Joseph even starting next year. Nolan, Hoff, Samps and hopefully Royce at 3, with Mbakwe playing the 4. If Devoe does prove himself (which he hasn't done yet) the three guard line-up could be back w/ Mbakwe and Royce covering the pf and center spot with their size, strength and athleticism. Yes, I think its either Devoe or RSII in the second line... but coming off the bench on a deep Tubby squad is not a bad thing. If Mbakwe and Royce are here they will be starting.

He'll get more PT, but Westbrook and Hoffarber have lit it up and carried the team on occasions and as long as that continues, it'll hurt Joseph's chances to reach 20 mins and cut into Rodney Williams and Paul Carter's minutes. Cobbs has held serve and Nolen has earned his 25 mins this year too, so Joseph's minutes will have to come at the 2 or in 3 guard sets. A lot of minutes at the 2 and wing are graduating with Johnson, Westbrook, and even Bostick moving on. We'll see if Royce White ever suits up someday, he might get some minutes as a 3, but there should be a lot more PT next year. He sure gets his shots when he's on the floor and obviously has the green light from Coach Smith. If/when Westbrook and Hoffarber cool off he could crack 20 mins regularly.

He'll get more PT, but Westbrook and Hoffarber have lit it up and carried the team on occasions and as long as that continues, it'll hurt Joseph's chances to reach 20 mins and cut into Rodney Williams and Paul Carter's minutes. Cobbs has held serve and Nolen has earned his 25 mins this year too, so Joseph's minutes will have to come at the 2 or in 3 guard sets. A lot of minutes at the 2 and wing are graduating with Johnson, Westbrook, and even Bostick moving on. We'll see if Royce White ever suits up someday, he might get some minutes as a 3, but there should be a lot more PT next year. He sure gets his shots when he's on the floor and obviously has the green light from Coach Smith. If/when Westbrook and Hoffarber cool off he could crack 20 mins regularly.

But right now he shouldn't crack a big 10 rotation right? Being behind Hoffarber and all.

Disagree

I think Joseph as a JR and SR will be better that Westbrook was as a JR and SR. He might not go "nuts" for two games a year like Westbrook has, but he will be more consistent, a better ball handler, and taller/more verastile. Hoff starts with Nolen and Westbrook, so I don't see how Hoff can't start with Nolen and Joseph.

I think Joseph as a JR and SR will be better that Westbrook was as a JR and SR. He might not go "nuts" for two games a year like Westbrook has, but he will be more consistent, a better ball handler, and taller/more verastile. Hoff starts with Nolen and Westbrook, so I don't see how Hoff can't start with Nolen and Joseph.

Sorry, I wasn't being serious balds, I'm actually a big Joseph fan. I was carrying over an argument from another thread. Akgopher has stood by the fact that hoffarber doesn't do anything for the team when he isn't shooting well.

Personally, I think Joseph is struggling now but has huge upside and potenial. I think he is trying to light up the court when he is on the court given his limited minutes. He needs to trust the system and he will get his looks. Next year he will be that go to guy.

kind of an odd day for this topic, don't you think. 12 points and 5 assists?

I agree with the taller part, that's about it. Better ball handler? Come on, is this a joke? I don't see him being more consistent or versatile. Westbrook is a great defender, CJ is not. His guy goes right by him and gets our bigs in foul trouble. He may have the edge on passing, only because LW looks to pass as his last option.

Westbrook was a good defender as freshman and sophomore, not so much last year or this year. It's usually westbrook's guy who lights us up.

Joseph was a better defender last year too.. I'm not sure what it is with them getting worse defensively as they move along...

The coaching staff must think he is a better ball handler, as they have asked him to play extensive minutes at PG. Westbrook has not ben asked to do that. Being able to play both G spots does make him more versatile.

Westbrook

The coaching staff must think he is a better ball handler, as they have asked him to play extensive minutes at PG. Westbrook has not ben asked to do that. Being able to play both G spots does make him more versatile.

LW should not be asked to run the point. Let him shoot, drive, make free throws and scowl at every body !

:)

If being a mediocre #2 and average at best PG makes you more versatle then your right again. Westbrook is one of the best guards in the Big Ten capable of creating his own shot and handling the ball under pressure. Bringing the ball up aginst a full court press I would take LW over CJ every time.

If being a mediocre #2 and average at best PG makes you more versatle then your right again. Westbrook is one of the best guards in the Big Ten capable of creating his own shot and handling the ball under pressure. Bringing the ball up aginst a full court press I would take LW over CJ every time.

I get nervous everytime Westbrook touches the ball unless he's going to shoot it, which he is very good at. Ball handling his by far Westbrooks biggest weakness. I would much rather have any other guard on our team bringing the ball up the court.

Devoe is one of the few Gophers with the ability to create his own shot. He has hit some difficult shots and shown flashes of brilliance. As has been previously stated, he is learning consistency and has had some trouble adjusting to college level competition. I also expect Devoe to have a great junior and senior year.

Anyone who thinks Westbrook is a great defender doesn't watch the game. He does try to put pressure on the ball, but in many instances gets silly fouls with that approach. If you watch the game, most of the time when the opposing team has a wide open shot it is Westbrook's man.

I don't see how people think that Westbrook has such bad handles. Yeah, he's out of control, but does beating your guy and creating your own shot not count as handles? He's obviously the best at that on our team.

I agree, he is not letting the game come to him. In time, his place in the pecking order will emerge. Until then, he just needs to play as smart as he can and he will get his share of easy shots...

Top Bottom