Impressive (Hoff)

gopherbadgerman

Reaction score
Getting his shot off quickly today, and is playing a very good all around game. I have to say I am very impressed by him and the rest of the squad today.

24 points, 2 steals, and 6 boards right now - another fantastic game from the Hoff!

He's also leading us in rebounds with 6, think he's got around 25 pts so far...

Wait...I thought he wouldn't be any good when we entered conference play.

That game was an example of one team taking another one behind the woodshed. It's kind of funny because some will look at the 86-74 final and think it might have been competitive. But the Gophers really owned the Hawks in every single phase today. It's not all that surprising considering how weak Iowa is this year, but still, it was nice to see with a tough game against Purdue coming up.

The one thing that worries me, and has been an issue, is rebounding. I realize RSIII was out today, but we were outrebounded by Iowa, I believe the same happened against Penn State, possibly not a good sign for later in the year...good win though...

Yep, good win, 3 or 4 more on the road would be wonderful. Hoff is a much better Big Ten player than I thought he would be when I seen him in high school. He's really a very smart player.

That game was an example of one team taking another one behind the woodshed. It's kind of funny because some will look at the 86-74 final and think it might have been competitive. But the Gophers really owned the Hawks in every single phase today. It's not all that surprising considering how weak Iowa is this year, but still, it was nice to see with a tough game against Purdue coming up.

Easy win for the Gophers. But, they didn't own the Hawks on the glass and they were often outplayed in the half court. Probably missed Sampson. They won they battle of the turn overs big time (31 pts. in the first half).

The one thing that worries me, and has been an issue, is rebounding. I realize RSIII was out today, but we were outrebounded by Iowa, I believe the same happened against Penn State, possibly not a good sign for later in the year...good win though...

Again, people, you can't just look at the number of rebounds. Every turnover forced by the Gophers is one less potential defensive rebound that they could get. Even still, the rebounding was basically even, and the Gophers had more offensive rebounds. They were +14 in turnovers/blocks. When one team shoots 12 more times than the other, it is that much more likely that the opposing team will lead in the rebounding stats.

I will take +14 in turnovers and blocks over -5 or even -10 in rebounding any game left in the rest of the schedule.

Another solid effort by Blake. Going against some of the quicker teams he won't have these numbers, but he'll still have assists, rebounds, and strong with the ball play...

I wasn't impressed with Hoff today. Hello, he missed three shots. He could've easily been 11 for 11 from the field. Obviously, I'm kidding. Congrats to Hoff! He's the man!

Let's not get all giddy about Blake. He will do well with open shots and spacing...but that won't be available with some of the quicker top teams in the conference. That's were Blake's rebounding, passing, and smart play will help offset his lack of shots.

I wasn't impressed with Hoff today. Hello, he missed three shots. He could've easily been 11 for 11 from the field. Obviously, I'm kidding. Congrats to Hoff! He's the man!
Man burton34, you had me for a second. lol

Easy win for the Gophers. But, they didn't own the Hawks on the glass and they were often outplayed in the half court. Probably missed Sampson. They won they battle of the turn overs big time (31 pts. in the first half).

I wouldn't say that. Even when the Gophers were in the half-court, they got just about any shot they wanted while Iowa was mostly scrambling on offense. We missed a few bunnies, but that wasn't because we weren't getting opportunities. Rebounds in this case really didn't matter since Iowa shot a ton of threes and we turned them over a lot. But I will agree that the rebounding needs to improve.

Let's not get all giddy about Blake. He will do well with open shots and spacing...but that won't be available with some of the quicker top teams in the conference. That's were Blake's rebounding, passing, and smart play will help offset his lack of shots.

+1 -- Lets see if Blake can stay this hot and productive against Purdue and OSU in the next 2 games. If he does, the Gophers might be able to stay competitive at West Lafayette. Gophers will need Joseph to hit some 3's too!

Lately, Devoe hasn't had as many shots and time on the court. That could easily change next week, that 's why I like Tubby's system......IE interchangeable parts.

Lately, Devoe hasn't had as many shots and time on the court.
Devoe is getting 21 min/game, which is right about average for the team. However, he has taken the 2nd most shots of anyone on the team with 114 (behind only Westbrook with 131. He led the team in shots taken again today with 12).

More shots and more time aren't Devoe's problem; it's the % of shots he's making (3rd worst on the team for three point %, ahead of only Cobbs & Williams @ 33%), as well as his decisions when he's in the game (tied for most turnovers on the team, shot selection, etc.)

If he can improve on those things, he'll most likely get more time.

Correct if I'm wrong, but doesn't it seem as if he's getting his shot off quicker this year than the other years?

Devoe is getting 21 min/game, which is right about average for the team. However, he has taken the 2nd most shots of anyone on the team with 114 (behind only Westbrook with 131. He led the team in shots taken again today with 12).

More shots and more time aren't Devoe's problem; it's the % of shots he's making (3rd worst on the team for three point %, ahead of only Cobbs & Williams @ 33%), as well as his decisions when he's in the game (tied for most turnovers on the team, shot selection, etc.)

If he can improve on those things, he'll most likely get more time.

Yes, his TO's are an issue...he should not be playing up top with the ball in his hands... (weak dribbler/doesn't protect the ball well enough).... He also looks to shoot first then pass...which may be a limiting factor in Tubby's system. BUT, when the Gophers run, he is an asset.

Facts are facts...we are a limited team when it comes to outside shooting. Hoffarber, Westbrook and Joseph are the only 3 guys we can really count on to make shots. Tubby should rotate them and try to ensure the hot player is fed.

The Gophers will need 2 of the 3 to get hot in Purdue to have a chance. Our front court players are simply not skilled enough to get baskets inside against Johnson and company at W.Lafayette.

Facts are facts...we are a limited team when it comes to outside shooting. Hoffarber, Westbrook and Joseph are the only 3 guys we can really count on to make shots. Tubby should rotate them and try to ensure the hot player is fed.

The Gophers will need 2 of the 3 to get hot in Purdue to have a chance. Our front court players are simply not skilled enough to get baskets inside against Johnson and company at W.Lafayette.

Johnson and Hummel are the full extent of Purdue's inside game. There is no And Company, just those two.

Joseph's minutes have dropped quite a bit from the beginning of the season, but with Blake and Westbrook playing so well it seems warranted. If Joseph finally gets hot I'm sure Tubby will keep him on the court more. Until then, Devoe needs to make the most of his minutes by taking better care of the ball and set up his teammates. I trust Tubby to handle the rotation.

Speaking of our shooters; I was pleased to see Rodney hit a few threes in his first couple games... I just checked the stats and since then he has gone 2 of 15. The guy needs warm up by hitting a couple 15-18 footers in a game before he throws up another 3 ball.

Moses87, that Purdue defense was just ferocious against West Virginia. They were relentless. That's why I think the road win today was so big. Odds of the Gophers coming out of West Lafayette with a W have to be pretty long. I'm one of those people that thinks 3, maybe 4 road wins will be enough.

Moses87, that Purdue defense was just ferocious against West Virginia. They were relentless. That's why I think the road win today was so big. Odds of the Gophers coming out of West Lafayette with a W have to be pretty long. I'm one of those people that thinks 3, maybe 4 road wins will be enough.

After WV, Purdue will be 9 or 10 point faves....The Gophers will need 8 or 9 threes between Hoff/Westbook/Joseph -- We could also use an aggressive game from Damian Johnson...He is capable of getting people in foul trouble.

I fear Sampson and Iverson will both be ineffective and stricken with foul trouble...Hence my theory that our only chance will be a hot shooting night from downtown.

You think Coach Smith will press the Boilermakers like they did against Iowa today?

After WV, Purdue will be 9 or 10 point faves....The Gophers will need 8 or 9 threes between Hoff/Westbook/Joseph -- We could also use an aggressive game from Damian Johnson...He is capable of getting people in foul trouble.

I fear Sampson and Iverson will both be ineffective and stricken with foul trouble...Hence my theory that our only chance will be a hot shooting night from downtown.

You know what else would be nice - what if we made like about 18 out of 20 free throws - just for kicks - they do count for a point a piece ya know.

The next five games feature Purdue, Ohio State, and Michigan State twice, along with Indiana. We'll know more about Hoffarber after this stretch. If we can go 3-2 during that time, 2 of the 5 at Williams, it'll likely be due to Hoffarber continuing his wicked shooting streak. If we go 3 and 2 lead by Hoffarber's play, I will apologize for questioning whether or not he was anymore than an 11-13th player on a Big Ten team.

The next five games feature Purdue, Ohio State, and Michigan State twice, along with Indiana. We'll know more about Hoffarber after this stretch. If we can go 3-2 during that time, 2 of the 5 at Williams, it'll likely be due to Hoffarber continuing his wicked shooting streak. If we go 3 and 2 lead by Hoffarber's play, I will apologize for questioning whether or not he was anymore than an 11-13th player on a Big Ten team.

Classic. You love to ignore everything else he does for the squad. So if he doesn't go off shooting against 2 top 10 teams and 1 top 15 team, he doesn't deserve a spot on the court?

Top Bottom