Kentucky-Louisville

UptownMaroon&Gold

longtime gopher sufferer
Reaction score
Jawing, intentional elbow throws, technical fouls to both sides, (Cousins should have been thrown out IMO) , 6 fouls total all in the first minute, anyone else watching this nonsense....

Coach Rick P and John C might be getting into it at this rate...

Louisville seems just dazed right now, they aren't sure if they should play basketball or try and fight kentucky, their energy is just way over-matched right now...

Wow, I missed the excitement. At least I got my weekly quota of elbow-throws from watching WVU yesterday.

Jawing, intentional elbow throws, technical fouls to both sides, (Cousins should have been thrown out IMO) , 6 fouls total all in the first minute, anyone else watching this nonsense....

UofL started this all. The UofL players refused to shake the UK players hands and started jawing from the minute they entered the arena. They were saying stuff that can't be repeated. And if CBS hadn't been so focused on making a story they would have shown you the knee Cousins took to the side of the face.

You don't understand hatred until you've been to a UofL-UK game.

UofL started this all. The UofL players refused to shake the UK players hands and started jawing from the minute they entered the arena. They were saying stuff that can't be repeated. And if CBS hadn't been so focused on making a story they would have shown you the knee Cousins took to the side of the face.

The state of Kentucky has more than its share of hatred.

That stuff today went WAY beyond sports, and certainly beyond sportsmanship. I was afraid for that arena today for a time. It was a sickening spectacle how that game began. Cousins absolutely should have been DQ'd, which would have cost him a second game as well. If the reports of Louisville's entrance are "true", then they were culpable too. Too bad...a bad day for Kentucky hoops. I hope there weren't too many kids watching; there were few good role models in that building today, I'm afraid.

You're right, I didn't see any knee to the face. I guess I missed that, so did CBS? I guess you were there. I would argue that if the game was in Freedom Hall, Cousins would have been booted though.

The Wildcats........

sold their souls for a winning team.....and the devil will get his due earlier rather than later in the Calipari tenure.

sold their souls for a winning team.....and the devil will get his due earlier rather than later in the Calipari tenure.
I'm mostly just excited to see if ESPN celebrates Kentucky's 2000th win a second time, after all of Slick Cal's wins are vacated.

Haven't followed UK too much this year; do Kentucky fans actually believe that they are going to stay clean throughout Calipari's tenure, or do they want to be #1 so badly that they don't care?

Truth, I will admit that I don't know much about the UofL-UK rivarly, nor saw the game, but even if the Ville were jawing since they got to the arena there is NO excuse for tossing elbows and all the other stuff that sounded like was going on. That is simple as keeping your head about you and taking the high road.

But I do know about the Purdue-IU game. And there is alot of dislike between those teams. And during my time watching there hasn't been anything like that. Grant IU has sucked last year, this year, and into the forseeable future which takes something away from the game.

But still there is no reason to lose your cool and toss elbows.

You're right, I didn't see any knee to the face. I guess I missed that, so did CBS? I guess you were there. I would argue that if the game was in Freedom Hall, Cousins would have been booted though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlNADVcS8g4

Congrats on the win against Iowa today. First time I watched a lot of Minny this season. Tubby is still getting it done. I'm hoping he can pull it off Tuesday night @ Purdue.

As for Kentucky and Calipari, we didn't sell our soul or anything else. I won't get into all the stuff about how/why his Final Four banners were "vacated" and what/wasn't his fault. IT wouldn't change some of your thoughts anyway. Since I'm a big Tubby fan and a UK alum/die hard fan, I will just say that I'm happy for both.

I've been immersed in college football but hope to be on this board a little more and looking forward to seeing Minnesota and Tubby compete for the Big Ten title. Regardless of how some of you feel about my team, I root for Minnesota and hope to see them do really well this year.

That stuff today went WAY beyond sports, and certainly beyond sportsmanship. I was afraid for that arena today for a time. It was a sickening spectacle how that game began. Cousins absolutely should have been DQ'd, which would have cost him a second game as well. If the reports of Louisville's entrance are "true", then they were culpable too. Too bad...a bad day for Kentucky hoops. I hope there weren't too many kids watching; there were few good role models in that building today, I'm afraid.

Blame Pitino and UofL. They're the one's that came into Rupp Arena showing poor sportsmanship from the beginning as part of the gameplan. It was a well orchestrated ploy to "out tough" or play "Big East" basketball.

I've never been to a UK-UofL game in Rupp but I've been to one in Freedom Hall. I've had beers poured on me, a battery whiz by my head and one lady who was about 60 use language so salty you could have cured a slab of beef with it.

I wasn't at the game but I've reviewed the video and have seen the photos. And the last angle CBS showed was of the knee to the side of Cousins' head.

Truth, I will admit that I don't know much about the UofL-UK rivarly, nor saw the game, but even if the Ville were jawing since they got to the arena there is NO excuse for tossing elbows and all the other stuff that sounded like was going on. That is simple as keeping your head about you and taking the high road.

It wasn't just jawing. Bledsoe got pissed off in the beginning because he was taking elbows to the face. They came to intimidate a bunch of freshman and they got it right back. That was all the talk from the UofL side leading up to the game about how they were going to bring "a Big East game" to Rupp. Maybe that's why Samardo Samuels was giving an elbow to the back of Patrick Patterson's head...he thought he was Alonzo Mourning. Too bad he forgot his game back in Louisville.

But I do know about the Purdue-IU game.And there is alot of dislike between those teams.

Dislike? That rivalry is born not just out of geography but because you have something to actually play for. For the longest time Purdue was the only consistent threat, year in and year out, for IU in regards to the Big 10.

There is nothing to play for in the UofL-UK series. It's only about hate. The same with the UK-IU rivalry. Nothing to play for except the crushing defeat of someone you despise. You really have to understand the history of the state itself to understand the UofL-UK rivalry. It really is about more than basketball.

TheTruth is actually correct for once. It is about everything but basketball. It's a rivalry built out of hatred of an inner-city school filled with mostly black athletes, while cherished UK still was proud of having a mostly white team. It's about the city of Louisville, which has a large minority population playing against the rest of the state which is nearly all white. Throw in the rabid racists in the mountains and in southern Kentucky, and you have the reason why this hatred exists outside of basketball. Louisville is proud of its progressive tendencies while the rest of the state is proud of it's backwards tendencies. That's how this hatred all started.

That's why until Tubby became the coach at UK, you'd be hard pressed to find ANY black Kentuckians who actually rooted for UK. That's a fact. Go to a Rupp game and you'll find the it's almost ENTIRELY all white, despite the fact that Lexington has a sizable black population. It's utterly amazing. When The Barn has more black people in it than Rupp Arena, that's pretty sad. Gopher fans, the next time you see a UK game on TV, I challenge you find a black person in the crowd. Try it out! I swear, I went to a UK game with about 23,000 fans and I saw about 4 black people (in a city as big as Lexington).

So that's pretty much the root of the rivalry. Of course nowadays, both teams are nearly all black, but the hatred between the fans exists for those reasons. The 2 schools didn't even play each other until 1983, but why did UK fans hate Louisville so much when they didn't even play them? That goes to show you how it had nothing to do with basketball and all about demographics.

TheTruth is actually correct for once. It is about everything but basketball. It's a rivalry built out of hatred of an inner-city school filled with mostly black athletes, while cherished UK still was proud of having a mostly white team. It's about the city of Louisville, which has a large minority population playing against the rest of the state which is nearly all white. Throw in the rabid racists in the mountains and in southern Kentucky, and you have the reason why this hatred exists outside of basketball. Louisville is proud of its progressive tendencies while the rest of the state is proud of it's backwards tendencies. That's how this hatred all started.

That's why until Tubby became the coach at UK, you'd be hard pressed to find ANY black Kentuckians who actually rooted for UK. That's a fact. Go to a Rupp game and you'll find the it's almost ENTIRELY all white, despite the fact that Lexington has a sizable black population. It's utterly amazing. When The Barn has more black people in it than Rupp Arena, that's pretty sad. Gopher fans, the next time you see a UK game on TV, I challenge you find a black person in the crowd. Try it out! I swear, I went to a UK game with about 23,000 fans and I saw about 4 black people (in a city as big as Lexington).

So that's pretty much the root of the rivalry. Of course nowadays, both teams are nearly all black, but the hatred between the fans exists for those reasons. The 2 schools didn't even play each other until 1983, but why did UK fans hate Louisville so much when they didn't even play them? That goes to show you how it had nothing to do with basketball and all about demographics.

Pretty good summary of my thoughts on Kentucky (the state).

Is it against the rules of this forum if I call you a tremendous idiot?

I could debate the inaccuracies in your post but it would be an effort in futility. It's pointless to argue with a moron because you can't change the mind of someone who hasn't one.

Is it against the rules of this forum if I call you a tremendous idiot?

I could debate the inaccuracies in your post but it would be an effort in futility. It's pointless to argue with a moron because you can't change the mind of someone who hasn't one.

The other poster stated the truth whereas The Truth doesn't.

100% correct. Thanks.

But I do know about the Purdue-IU game. And there is alot of dislike between those teams. And during my time watching there hasn't been anything like that. Grant IU has sucked last year, this year, and into the forseeable future which takes something away from the game.

But still there is no reason to lose your cool and toss elbows.

As a Purdue grad, I never understood the dislike between Purdue-IU teams. They were both coached by two of the best ever. I cannot stand IU now since they have that crazy/over-rated Tom Crean as their coach.

Truth you missed the point. I don't care if the UofL started it or the Tooth Fairy started it. When you are involved in contact sport such as basketball of course elbows will be tossed most of the time accidently but when someone does toss a elbow you need to be the bigger man and take the higher road and not relatate. I know most of these kids come from situtions that I can't relate too and taking an elbow is an insult to them. But then a coach needs to step and an explain to them its not acceptable to do that. Thats the building men part of coaching college.

TRT-You are right Keady and Knight are two of the best coaches ever. But I would guess if a vast majority of Purdue fans respect RMK basketball IQ and coaching ability. I would personally cheer for him if he walks into Mackey. And I would hope IU fans feel the same way about Keady. You are also right on with Crean without D-Wade odds are he would be out of a job right now.

My favorite "rivarly" that the media tries to drum up is the Purdue-MSU "rivarly." There really isn't anything there. The best way to discribe it is two brothers that will go at with all the got when the play. But afterwards the will shake and put there arms around each other and walk off the court with a large amount of respect for each other.

Being a Detroit kid, I wish there was more of a Purdue-MSU rivalry. The games have been good the last few years but I'd love to see some more hatred there. Purdue needs some kind of somewhat good rival, with IU in the toilet.

As a Purdue grad, I never understood the dislike between Purdue-IU teams. They were both coached by two of the best ever. I cannot stand IU now since they have that crazy/over-rated Tom Crean as their coach.

I'm not a native Hoosier but I never really felt the IU/Purdue rivalry when I was there.

Purdue/NOTRE DAME. Oh yes, indeed.

Top Bottom