Per Myron - Sampson out Saturday Royce with Willie Burton

Reserve

Reaction score
A couple of Twitter updates from Myron ..

Ralph Sampson out Saturday with ankle injury. Colton Iverson will start.

Willie Burton with Royce White together at Williams Arena.

/////

Are former Gophers the " mentors " that Myron talked about yesterday?

Would be a good thing. :)

No excuses

Not having Ralph hurts, no doubt, but I sure wouldn't expect to hear any excuses here afterwards if we lose in Iowa City on Saturday. Injuries are part of the game (see Indiana, Northwestern, Ohio State, etc.). This is our first one of significance. The injury doesn't change anything. ... if the Gophers are any good, Iowa is a team they should beat.

SS...A lot will depend on the officiating. If Teddog Valentine is there, you can bet on Iowa getting many calls, as he is a definite homer except when he officiates at the Barn.

Go Gophers!

SS...A lot will depend on the officiating. If Teddog Valentine is there, you can bet on Iowa getting many calls, as he is a definite homer except when he officiates at the Barn.

Go Gophers!

Actually, Lickliter and Valentine don't get along for some reason.

I'd be more worried if Hightower refs. He always panders to the home crowd...even at Williams.

Although, granted Iowa probably won't have a whole lot of home crowd.

If Iverson can keep his fouls and turnovers down, him getting more minutes might not be a bad thing.

Myron's tweets are so uninformative. Did Willie Burton and Royce White have a conversation? Is Willie mentoring him?

I don't see Colt playing 40 minutes. Who's his back-up? DJ? Carter? Would be nice to have Trevor.

Myron's tweets are so uninformative. Did Willie Burton and Royce White have a conversation? Is Willie mentoring him?

I couldn't think of a better former Gopher to talk with Royce than Willie. Burton is one of my favorite all-time Gophers not only because he was a great player, but because he always represented the University with class. And if he is in fact serving as a mentor for Royce, I would be totally on board with it. Hopefully if nothing else, Willie had a few words of encouragement for Royce.

If you click on the article link, there's more information:

-As players and coaches walked to the locker room following Friday morning's practice, freshman forward Royce White walked into Williams Arena with former Gophers star Willie Burton. Both Burton and White were carrying basketball gear, as they headed toward the visitor's locker room.

I know some of the former Gophers who gathered for the halftime celebration of the 1989-90 Elite Eight squad said they wanted to talk to White. And a number of them have followed through. White didn't say anything when he walked into the arena, but he threw up a peace sign toward some of the guys on the floor.

I couldn't think of a better former Gopher to talk with Royce than Willie. Burton is one of my favorite all-time Gophers not only because he was a great player, but because he always represented the University with class. And if he is in fact serving as a mentor for Royce, I would be totally on board with it. Hopefully if nothing else, Willie had a few words of encouragement for Royce.

Exactly - it sounds like that whole group of guys really care about the program so much, and will do whatever they can to help. I would think that talking to guys that went through the program and were so successful could be influential.

Royce is making better decisions if he chooses to practice with Willie rather than his video buddies. Thank you, Willie, et al

Is Burton living in town?? It would be great if royce could have a local Mentor of such quality. Few achieve greatness on their own.

The last two days have been really promising about Royce. Hopefully the Gophers can overcome the injury to Sampson and get a huge road win. I was going to say this about Bostick after the Penn State, that's he's just an injury away from playing. I'm not saying he's going to get minutes because of Sampson's ailment, but someone else could get hurt too. (Not that I want that to happen.) Tubby plays ten people, so there's a chance to see action eventually.

The Gophers should be able to win this game without any 3 of their current players, Sampson not playing should not matter at all.

Time for Iverson to step up. Bring that 10+ rebounding he was doing for us against butler

Top Bottom