Looking ahead to Purdue game

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
No, I don't think Iowa will be a gimme' by any stretch of the imagination, but thinking ahead to Purdue. ...

As long as the Boilers win their showdown of unbeatens vs. West Virginia, we could be getting them at the perfect time (if there is such a thing), hopefully coming off a big, emotional win, + school's probably out of session? I would imagine Mackey Arena will be sky high for the WV game on New Year's Day, maybe not so much vs. the Gophers even though it's a conference game.

One thing's for sure; the game in West Lafayette will be 1 of the Gophers' 2 best opportunities (the other at Breslin) for a signature win this season.

SS...

you have me, along with others, absolutely hyper for our Gophers, so many what if's (future) which to me is much better than shoulda's, woulda's, coulda's (the past). Every game is essential, and we will win some and lose some...I just plan on the wins far exceeding the losses, and because of that plan, IN TUBBY I TRUST!!!

Go Gophers!

Yeah, there won't be any Paint Crew for that game. The Gophers have a chance, but I just don't see anybody but MSU possibly beating Purdue at home this year. Should be a good game.

Boiler up :)

Purdue Has Lots Of G But Not many F Or C

Boilers have Hummel at F, Johnson at C, and Bade as their back-up at F or C.

The rest are G. Kramer, Moore, Grant are very good, experienced G. Barlow, Smith, Byrd, and Wohlford are decent (but inexperienced) back-ups. The rest of the G are walk-ons or redshirt (last year).

Get one or both F and/or C in foul trouble. That would help the Gophers' chances.

Purdue is always tough at home. If I recall correctly, they were our only loss in the Big 10 our Final 4 season.

I am really torn at how I think we should go about playing Purdue. Part of me thinks that we should pressure them all game and try to wear them down. I just think there is a gigantic drop off when/if they have to get to their bench. However, that could seem like strategic suicide, Purdue has 4 guys who are all pretty skilled handling the ball (Kramer, Moore, Grant, Hummel) and Johnson is much more skilled than our Cs.

Not 100% sure, but I think @ Illinois (early) and @ Wisconsin (regular season finale) were the Gophers' only Big 10 losses. But your point is certainly valid. The Gophers won a couple knee-knockers that year at two venues where traditionally they seldom win, Purdue and Michigan.

Purdue is always tough at home. If I recall correctly, they were our only loss in the Big 10 our Final 4 season.

I am really torn at how I think we should go about playing Purdue. Part of me thinks that we should pressure them all game and try to wear them down. I just think there is a gigantic drop off when/if they have to get to their bench. However, that could seem like strategic suicide, Purdue has 4 guys who are all pretty skilled handling the ball (Kramer, Moore, Grant, Hummel) and Johnson is much more skilled than our Cs.

Barlow, Smith, Byrd, and Bade are talented but inexperienced.

Wohlford and Hart have less talent but not much experience either.

Not 100% sure, but I think @ Illinois (early) and @ Wisconsin (regular season finale) were the Gophers' only Big 10 losses. But your point is certainly valid. The Gophers won a couple knee-knockers that year at two venues where traditionally they seldom win, Purdue and Michigan.

That is correct, those were the only losses. Since that was pre-BTT, I believe we won at Purdue, though I guess there's a chance we didn't play there? I don't recall. I remember the great comeback win at Indiana. 1997 may have been the last time we won at Mackey though? (2005?)

I am fairly certain Monson won at Purdue twice; once with his NCAA tournament team (Coleman hit a key shot late) and once with a Rickert team.

BL I think you idea is "strategic suicide" is right on. Especially if you try to go man-to-man for 94 feet, Purdue will just wear you down. They have too many good ball handlers for it to work. Purdue has at least 3 capable ball handlers on the court the entire most times 4.

If I was a coach trying to beat Purdue the points I would focus on are
1. Rebounding-Purdue is a average to good rebounding team if you can beat Purdue on glass that a huge advantage
2. Run-Getting up and down the court will prevent the Boilers from getting into there dominating half court D.
3. Take care of the ball-Purdue is somewhere in the area of +7.5 in turnovers per game this year. I know this is a pretty basic idea for all games but very important vs Purdue
4. Go right at Johnson and Hummel-If you can get Johnson and Hummel in foul trouble then pound the ball inside you will score on Purdue.
5. Take away Moore-Assuming you can get Hummel and Johnson in foul trouble early then on D you have to take away Moore. Forcing Kramer(never has been a scorer) Grant(has been cold all year) and the rest of the young players to take over the scoring duties you have a chance.

Thats what I do if I didn't have team like say Kansas, Texas, Kentucky, or UNC basically a ultra-athletic team. Those will be the teams that will give Purdue the most problems.

Great break-down MN Boiler ... Purdue by 9. Not a good match-up for the Gophers, especially regarding your comments about out-rebounding the Boilers..can't see that happening. Look for a big game from E'Twan Moore as the Gophers don't have anyone that can guard him, with the exception of AN..but he'll have his hands full with Kramer.

BL I think you idea is "strategic suicide." Especially if you try to go man-to-man for 94 feet, Purdue will just wear you down. They have too many good ball handlers for it to work. Purdue has at least 3 capable ball handlers on the court the entire most times 4.

If I was a coach trying to beat Purdue the points I would focus on are
1. Rebounding-Purdue is a average to good rebounding team if you can beat Purdue on glass that a huge advantage
2. Run-Getting up and down the court will prevent the Boilers from getting into there dominating half court D.
3. Take care of the ball-Purdue is somewhere in the area of +7.5 in turnovers per game this year. I know this is a pretty basic idea for all games but very important vs Purdue
4. Go right at Johnson and Hummel-If you can get Johnson and Hummel in foul trouble then pound the ball inside you will score on Purdue.
5. Take away Moore-Assuming you can get Hummel and Johnson in foul trouble early then on D you have to take away Moore. Forcing Kramer(never has been a scorer) Grant(has been cold all year) and the rest of the young players to take over the scoring duties you have a chance.

Thats what I do if I didn't have team like say Kansas, Texas, Kentucky, or UNC basically a ultra-athletic team. Those will be the teams that will give Purdue the most problems.

Bingo on #4.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/pur/sports/m-baskbl/auto_pdf/0910CumeStats.pdf Boilers are not great FG or 3-pt FG shooters this season. Two common opponents - St Joseph's and South Dakota St.

Great break-down MN Boiler ... Purdue by 9. Not a good match-up for the Gophers, especially regarding your comments about out-rebounding the Boilers..can't see that happening. Look for a big game from E'Twan Moore as the Gophers don't have anyone that can guard him, with the exception of AN..but he'll have his hands full with Kramer.

freshtrout, I think Purdue will win too. Most likely going away by about 9-13. But if Hummel and Johnson are in foul trouble I disagree. I think that Minnesota can defend Purdue. Most likely Purdue would go
Grant
Kramer
Moore
Byrd
Bade
Minnesota could man up with that pretty easily. I think you put D. Johnson on Moore. The only real insight threat would be Bade so Sampson/Iverson could guard him then you put your best defender(Johnson) on Moore. Put your worst on Kramer and try to make him beat you.

I'm in agreement with mnboiler and freshtrout. At this point, Purdue is just a better team than we are imo. Obviously, things can change from game-to-game. But the Boilermakers are a tough match up because of their length and versatility. I have a tough time thinking we'll come out of West Lafayette with a win.

I watched quite a bit of the West Virginia game, Selection. They got the win, but I just don't see enough of a letdown by Purdue to allow us to win. Pretty impressive team today. Might be a fun game in Madison next Saturday.

With Northwestern pushing Illinois to overtime at Illinois; Penn State giving us a game at Williams; Wisconsin destroying Ohio State; and Indiana beating Michigan, it looks like we very well could have some unexpected losses. But we're also going to have a good chance to get some surprise wins.

Can't argue with you Mulligan. Purdue looked awfully impressive. They may very well be on the verge of one of those special seasons that don't come around very often. We have our hands full (and then some) when we go into Mackey. My biggest concern is whether the Gophers will be able to initiate any sort of half-court offense. I certainly can see Kramer, Keaton, Moore, etc., completely taking us out of our offense. I would expect quite a few shot-clock violations and/or forced shots at the end of the shot clock. We're going to need some prayers to go in the bucket.

Top Bottom