I know it's Sid, but

freshtrout

Reaction score
at 7:40 this morning he was talking about the Gophers going to play at Iowa and mentioned that they should win that game because "Iowa isn't that good and Todd Lickliter is going to be gone" ..... Now Lickliter has had some health problems recently, but I've not heard anything about him leaving. .... Just another BS made-up 'fact' from Sid??

I'd consider it more an opinion than an announcement of fact. Lickliter's had a tough spell since arriving at Iowa City and his current health issues may be a convenient hook for him and the school to use to go their separate ways.

Used to be that basketball was a major revenue source for their athletic department and it's clear that interest and revenues have declined and show little short-run likelihood to go up substantially. Every time I've seen a broadcast from Carver, it looks like it's a mausoleum. They had under 10,000 in their game vs Drake (which is typically a well-attended game) ... 12,500 against Purdue. Carver seats 15,000.

I'd consider it more an opinion than an announcement of fact. Lickliter's had a tough spell since arriving at Iowa City and his current health issues may be a convenient hook for him and the school to use to go their separate ways.

Used to be that basketball was a major revenue source for their athletic department and it's clear that interest and revenues have declined and show little short-run likelihood to go up substantially. Every time I've seen a broadcast from Carver, it looks like it's a mausoleum. They had under 10,000 in their game vs Drake (which is typically a well-attended game) ... 12,500 against Purdue. Carver seats 15,000.

And as has been discussed here before, you can't hide empty seats at Carver. It looks awful on TV.

There were 12,500 vs Purdue? We're Back!

Seriously that had to be tickets sold. No way were there that many in attendance.

Yeah, Sid cometimes confuses, among other things, facts and opinions. But in fairness, Sid's technically correct that TL, like all coaches, will eventually be gone. :)

IA is in a tough spot. They gave him a long contract, and eating that as well as paying for a new coach (and maybe still paying ALford?) is pretty costly. OTOH, if they don't extend TL, then it's taken as a signal and recruiting, already not his strength, becomes almost impossible. OTTH, although TL's had some bad luck, they can't let this situation (bad teams, no attendance) continue. (See, e.g., Dan Monson and Mn.)

And in deference to the board's newfound fascination with acronyms: OTTH=On the third hand.

Top Bottom